24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

hard braking - hydraulic brake booster?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 01:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy hard braking - vacuum pump?

When we got our '99 CTD but still had our Ford F250 gasser, we noticed that the CTD brake pedal was noticably harder to push, and braking was not as responsive as the Ford power brakes. We thought maybe that's just the way it was.

Then, this past weekend, I pulled an 18' GN stock trailer, and really noticed the deficiency in the CTD's braking, that I was really relying on the trailer brakes and needed lots of distance to get stopped! Scarey!

I have the Haynes guide and it says that brakes that take a lot of effort in diesels might be a problem with the vacuum pump. How can I be sure that's what it really is? They only discuss how to remove and replace it, not how to test if that it what it is.

We know we have 1/3 left on our brake pads from when we recently got new tires. The truck is also pulling to the left on braking, but I believe that is a different issue, which I will probably go to Midas for. I just don't want to pay mondo bucks there on something we can do ourselves more cheaply. We've been bleeding money all summer!

Oh Lordy! I just checked online prices for the vacuum pump and it was normally $700+, their price $500+!!

If this is it, anyone know where to find a rebuilt one?

TIA,
betsycam
Old 08-17-2004, 01:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not much help from me here, but I hear my 2001 uses hyd. assist from the Power Steering?

Check some threads for GM wheel cylinders -- they are direct replacements, cheap, have a larger piston diameter, resulting in much greater rear wheel brake force. I have heard they work extremely well to upgrade brake performance. My 2001 3500 has 4-wheel discs, and I can't believe how much better the brakes are compared to the 2001 2500 v-10 I had, with rear drums! I didn't know of the GM cylinders until after I had traded the 2500 in on my 3500.
Old 08-17-2004, 02:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: hard braking - vacuum pump?

Originally posted by betsycam
When we got our '99 CTD but still had our Ford F250 gasser, we noticed that the CTD brake pedal was noticably harder to push, and braking was not as responsive as the Ford power brakes. We thought maybe that's just the way it was.

Then, this past weekend, I pulled an 18' GN stock trailer, and really noticed the deficiency in the CTD's braking, that I was really relying on the trailer brakes and needed lots of distance to get stopped! Scarey!

I have the Haynes guide and it says that brakes that take a lot of effort in diesels might be a problem with the vacuum pump. How can I be sure that's what it really is? They only discuss how to remove and replace it, not how to test if that it what it is.

We know we have 1/3 left on our brake pads from when we recently got new tires. The truck is also pulling to the left on braking, but I believe that is a different issue, which I will probably go to Midas for. I just don't want to pay mondo bucks there on something we can do ourselves more cheaply. We've been bleeding money all summer!

Oh Lordy! I just checked online prices for the vacuum pump and it was normally $700+, their price $500+!!

If this is it, anyone know where to find a rebuilt one?

TIA,
betsycam
The vacuum pump on the '99 has nothing to do with the brakes. How is your steering? If it is rather stiff you probably have a bad power steering pump. You should have good power assist, mine does. If you want to check the power steering pump should have 1500 pounds of pressure. The outlet fitting on the pump has an orface to restrict the fluid, could have a blockage there. The power steering gear and the brakes have a seperate return, might check that the hose is not blocked on the brakes. I have not run into this but it seems that if the steering is ok, the pump should be good and the problem would be in the brake booster. Reason is that the high pressure fluid goes to the brakes first and then to the steering. Another easy thing to check is that they sell a filter that goes in the line on the return, if it has one it may be plugged. That would be where the return goes on to the pump.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Re: hard braking - vacuum pump?

Originally posted by Haulin_in_Dixie
I have not run into this but it seems that if the steering is ok, the pump should be good and the problem would be in the brake booster. Reason is that the high pressure fluid goes to the brakes first and then to the steering. Another easy thing to check is that they sell a filter that goes in the line on the return, if it has one it may be plugged. That would be where the return goes on to the pump.
Steering is fine. As I was driving today, unloaded, I thought - well, it's not as bad as a vehicle with no power steering, just not as good as I think it should be! Maybe it is normal for these CTDs? I think I will still have it inspected tomorrow because of the pull to the left on breaking, see if there's any trouble with the drums. I'll check out the filter you mentioned - thanks for that! I'm hoping it won't be anything major, can't take it

betsycam
Old 08-17-2004, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For the pull to the left, you might try adjusting the rear shoes. Whenever mine pulls, that is the cause.