2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Block heater working ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2003, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Block heater working ???

Theres a petcock on the lower right side(rad) ,use a clean bucket and catch and filter to reuse most of it if its not that old.<br>once the flow starts remove the rad cap to speed up flow.<br>Yes your going to have to empty the system. Its not a bad job.<br> Danny
Old 01-21-2003, 10:41 PM

Most tractors use this same type of heater. Heck it looks dead on the one I just put in my 666 IH this winter.<br>DM01
Old 01-22-2003, 07:14 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definately not a ten minute job unless you're moving at the speed of light, and not Bud Light either. <br>Probably time to change the coolant and hoses anyway if you haven't done that yet.
Old 01-22-2003, 08:41 AM

Yeah, you'll definitely need to drain all your coolant to change the blockheater element. I'm a little surprised the element is the problem though ! They usually don't die, at all. The problem is usually in the cord itself, since it takes a lot of abuse; electrical heat when plugged in, environment heat(summer, engine, etc.) salt , dirt, etc. It definitely won't be a ten minute job, though. <br><br>BTW, up here in Eastern Canada, we go by Celcius, as you probably all well know. It was -38 here last night, with what we call the &quot;wind chill factor&quot; . That converts to -36 farenheit, if I'm not mistaken. I swore when I turned the key, my truck told me to edited by admin off :'( !!!<br><br><br>Let us know how it goes !<br><br><br><br><br>

Last edited by Totallyrad; 06-08-2007 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Profanity
Old 01-22-2003, 09:32 AM

I very rarely use the block heater. I just turn her to WTS and wait til light goes out, and she cranks right up. The colder it is the longer the WTS is on. I can hear the block heater working though when I do use it, but doesn't seem to make any real difference in starting on my truck one way or the other. It has been down to 0 at night the past few weeks and highs only in the teens. <br><br>I keep mine in the garage, so that probably helps some.<br><br>Good luck!<br><br> <br><br>somkinjoe<br>ohio
Old 01-23-2003, 06:33 PM
Chapter President

Did you get the 700 watt or the 1000 watt heater ??
Old 01-23-2003, 07:47 PM
Administrator

Make sure you use a good thread sealer.<br>Did you get new a-freeze or are you going to use the old?
Old 01-24-2003, 06:06 AM
Administrator

I personally do not like teflon tape. I am a Permatex #2 person myself. Use it on all the gas line fittings on my tractors and no leaks.<br><br>Check all your hoses too before you refill the system. May be a good time to spend and extra buck and replace them too.

Quick Reply: Block heater working ???