Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/2nd-gen-dodge-ram-no-drivetrain-90/)
-   -   Block heater working ??? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/2nd-gen-dodge-ram-no-drivetrain-90/block-heater-working-22812/)

99diesel-wv 01-18-2003 03:12 PM

Block heater working ???

This winter it does not seem that my block heater is working properly. It seems like even if it is plugged in the &quot;wait to start&quot; engine light stay on just as long as if it was not plugged in. I took it to the dealer for another problem (throttle sensor) and asked them to test it they said it was okay and charged me $33.00. Has anyone had the same issue and what did you do.....?<br><br>Thanks.

pappyman 01-18-2003 03:41 PM

Re:Block heater working ???

Your grid heater sences outside air temp...not your block temp...should have saved your $33.00...both heaters work in comb to make starting ezer on these diesels...I have not plugged my block heater in this year it was 5* this morning I just cycle my grid heater a few times and she pops right off ;D

Shovelhead 01-18-2003 03:52 PM

There must be a problem 'cuz when I plug-in the WTS light goes out in about 3-5 seconds, unless it's REAL cold, then it's maybe 15 seconds.
Not plugged in (like this AM at 5* outside) WTS light took about a minute.

RATTLINRAM 01-18-2003 06:54 PM

Plugged mine in last night and when I left for work at 0700 this morning, it was 8*. WTS light stayed on only a few seconds, so I know mine is working fine. ;D

Marine 01-18-2003 06:57 PM

I plugged mine in last night and it only went to 29 deg or so. Popped the hood this morning and I could hear it working. It works so well I could hardly keep my hand on the block above the exhaust manifold.<br><br>Mike

richard 01-18-2003 07:01 PM

Forgot to plug mine in again, 2 degrees this am but it still started, barely. :( :(

yz 01-18-2003 07:14 PM

I thought my block heater was not working this morning. Made sure the extension cord was pluged into the outlet. it was but found out I had no power from the outlet. I just reset it the outlet. I hope i does not happen again. I drives me crazy to start it when it has not been pluged in and when the temp. was as cold as it was. -Anthony

Dieseldude4x4 01-18-2003 08:59 PM

I was going to say check the power supply first.<br>You should be able to hear it sizzling about 5 to 10 seconds after you plug it in. It was about 9 here this morning and my light went out about as soon as I turned the key and had heat before the end of town.

admin 01-18-2003 09:03 PM

[quote author=RATTLINRAM link=board=5;threadid=9797;start=0#93624 date=1042937657]<br>Plugged mine in last night and when I left for work at 0700 this morning, it was 8*. WTS light stayed on only a few seconds, so I know mine is working fine. ;D<br>[/quote]<br><br>Your temp was about the same as mine, and my WTS light was only on for a second or two. Will stay on for 30 or so seconds if the truck isn't plugged in.

wrench4u 01-19-2003 08:47 AM

Being anally retentive..<br><br>I bought one of those extension cords with the glowing end when it has power..<br>My old cord always seemed to come unplugged on me. <br>Mostly when I forgot to unplug [eyecrazy]<br>now the light catches my eye at 4am...<br><br>Just my .02

KC 01-19-2003 09:15 AM

Even with it this cold when my truck is plugged in the wait for starting light only stays on for a second or two. <br><br>I also use a extension cord with a lighted female end and a timer so my truck heater doesn't run all night!<br><br>KC

8secondride 01-19-2003 12:52 PM

Alright, this may sound stupid, but it's probably the best way to tell if the blockheater's workin' or not ;D.<br><br>I live in Eastern Canada, and we know what cold is all about.<br><br>After you've plugged in your blockheater, follow the wire down to where the actual heater meets the block, and feel it. It'll be hot alright ! Just don't wait too long to feel it, cuz it gets pretty **** hot to touch ;).<br><br>Let me know if it works.<br><br><br><br>

dodgeman01 01-20-2003 12:10 AM

mine muct not work at all. The engine is never hot when I feel down the sides of it. Not evern warm. Truck starts the same with or without it pluged in.<br>DM01

Ruralmedic 01-20-2003 12:40 AM

Off hand, what is the wattage of the block heater?

Commatoze 01-20-2003 06:18 AM

[quote author=Ruralmedic link=board=5;threadid=9797;start=0#94031 date=1043044837]
Off hand, what is the wattage of the block heater?
[/quote]
Approximately 750 watts. To the original poster; How long are you plugging in for? It is possible that your &quot;On&quot; time isn't enough. 3 hours works for me down to 10[sup]o[/sup]F, and 4 hours is good to as low as I've seen this winter, -10[sup]o[/sup]F.