2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Battery grounding question

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 12:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battery grounding question

So, I'm under the truck removing the front bumper in preparation for installing my new fog lights, and I see a black wire with what looks like a grounding "circle" on the end of it just dangling aimlessly. So I follow it to see where it's coming from.

On the driver's side battery, there's three black grounding wires coming off the negative terminal: one thick, heavy gauge wire that grounds on the bottom of the engine block, one thin gauge wire that grounds right on the body in front of the battery, and then a slightly thicker wire that is my mystery wire. I'm gonna say it should be a frame ground, but I figured if someone could go out and look at theirs, that would be a safer bet. So anyone know where this wire goes? I'm guessing the previous owner or my dealer disconnected it from it's grounding location for some reason and never reconnected it.

TIA.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:13 PM

It connects to the frame right in front of the wheel on my truck. I would have taken a pic, but it's snowing like crazy here....
Old 03-28-2009, 03:34 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Mine too. I think you have an engine ground wire, a frame ground wire, and a body ground wire. My guess is its the frame ground.

Kurt
Old 03-28-2009, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by mishkaya
It connects to the frame right in front of the wheel on my truck. I would have taken a pic, but it's snowing like crazy here....
Thanks. I assume you mean the driver's side front wheel. Is it on top of the frame, or one of the sides? Not that it matters for a good ground, but if I can get it where its "supposed" to be, I guess that'd be a good thing.

Thanks again.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by bakdoor
Thanks. I assume you mean the driver's side front wheel. Is it on top of the frame, or one of the sides? Not that it matters for a good ground, but if I can get it where its "supposed" to be, I guess that'd be a good thing.

Thanks again.
It's on the side of the frame, visible just in front of the driver's side wheel. It's on the exterior of the frame.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by mishkaya
It's on the side of the frame, visible just in front of the driver's side wheel. It's on the exterior of the frame.
Cool, thanks. At least that's one thing I should be able to fix. Now if I can just get it running again after I changed the fuel filter! But that's another thread...
Old 03-29-2009, 08:19 AM

Cool, thanks. At least that's one thing I should be able to fix. Now if I can just get it running again after I changed the fuel filter! But that's another thread...
Go to auto zone and get a fuel pressure test gauge. It will say not for diesel vehicles. That is because of the fuel pressure on the high side of the pump, but we dont care because all I use it for is low side. Connect the gauge to the schrader on the VP where the line comes in from the filter. Bump the starter and depress the bleed on the test gauge until you have a solid stream of fuel out of the line. Itll fire right up. You can use the gauge at this time to check the pressure to the VP from the lift pump.
Youll never have a problem on filter changes again.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by gandalf1g
Go to auto zone and get a fuel pressure test gauge. It will say not for diesel vehicles. That is because of the fuel pressure on the high side of the pump, but we dont care because all I use it for is low side. Connect the gauge to the schrader on the VP where the line comes in from the filter. Bump the starter and depress the bleed on the test gauge until you have a solid stream of fuel out of the line. Itll fire right up. You can use the gauge at this time to check the pressure to the VP from the lift pump.
Youll never have a problem on filter changes again.
Thanks for the advice. I did this, sort of--I loosened the banjo bolt that the schrader is mounted on, and no fuel came out at all with the lift pump running. Which leads me to believe that my LP has given up the ghost.

So now, plan B.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:56 AM
Chapter President

Thanks for the advice. I did this, sort of--I loosened the banjo bolt that the schrader is mounted on, and no fuel came out at all with the lift pump running. Which leads me to believe that my LP has given up the ghost.

So now, plan B.
That should be the inlet for the IP. If you have no pressure there, you need to check the filter and the housing etc to make sure you do not have a blockage.