2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Ball joint Replace

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ball joint Replace

I was wondering where a good place to put the jack is. I know it may be a stupid question, but I usually jack it up under the spring. I plan on using stands for safety measures also.

Are there any spring related issues to worry about? Like can the spring come flying out.

I've got a '97 2WD with 185k on it. I've never done the uppers and they are shot and probably dangerous. I've looked over all the super informative threads on here and have worked up enough nerve to tackle my ball joints. I've done a lot of stuff on my truck; front/back brakes, caliper replace, bearings, rear diff stuff but nothing as major as the ball joints. But I think I can handle it. I helped our old mechaninc do the lowers a long time ago so I know they are pressed in. And I plan on using a press.

One other. There's so many ball joint horror stories out there from every brand. So it's hard to make a comfortable decision. So I'm just going to get some from NAPA and go with it. I've researched it for it about a week now. As soon as I make my mind up, I read something about the ones I decided on. This is aside from Carlii's or Dynatracs, I can't afford those.
Old 06-16-2016, 07:57 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Get MOOGS. Napa has them. Lately I have been asking for brand parts from napa, as anything from them seems like chinese garbage, like clamps, bulbs, etc. I only use their gold line for brake parts and filters...

Not sure if the spring will come flying out on a 2X, but I'd find out. you could put it on jack stands across the frame rails with a sturdy pipe or beam, etc and chock the wheels blah blah.