2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Awesome CB Radio Setup

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 12:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome CB Radio Setup

Alright, so on this thread, I'm going to detail the setps leading up to and the steps involving rigging up my truck with a nice CB radio setup. I have some questions though that I could really use some help on, so I appreciate that (in advance). First of all, here's a list of the equipment I'm looking to use:

Cobra 31Plus CB Radio (new in box--circa 1987)
Dual 4' FireStik II antennas
FireStik dual antenna 18' coax cable w/FireRing connectors
FireStik stainless steel side mount (might have to change this depending on how it fits)
Wunder CB mount (to come later)

OK, so that's the setup. My first question is how I should wire up the radio. Should I buy some kind of aftermarket fuse block to run directly to a battery and then hook the CB up to that fuse block? Or should I use one of the ignition wires for power?
Old 06-24-2004, 02:23 AM

Your truck is a little different than mine but when I installed mine, I took the cover off the dash and spliced into the hot wire feeding the power outlet. I have a Connex 10 meter radio, a scanner, and a 3 space power outlet hooked up that way, and have had no problems out of it. It only took a splicing connector to do it. It is already fused in the fuse box for 20 amps, plenty for me.

-Kyle
Old 06-24-2004, 03:18 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Awesome CB Radio Setup

Originally posted by STAT 007
OK, so that's the setup. My first question is how I should wire up the radio. Should I buy some kind of aftermarket fuse block to run directly to a battery and then hook the CB up to that fuse block? Or should I use one of the ignition wires for power?
Best way to get power to a CB or any other radio is right from the battery.

Yes, you'll have to remember to turn it off when leaving the truck, but you won't have any noise induced that you would hooking it up to an already used circuit.
Of course, we don't have to worry about spark plug noise, but there will almost always be some kind of noise tapping in somewhere.

Going with an aftermarket fuse block wouldn't be a bad thing,
as you would have always hot power for other things as well.
Since most CB power leads have a fuse already there, it isn't necessary.

phox
Old 06-24-2004, 07:19 PM

I'd prolly use a keyswitched wire to truigger realy with juice from the battery. This way you get your key-off AND clean power to the radio. The co-phased antenna looks nice, but you really don't get the benefit, due to them not be 1/4 wavelength apart.
Old 06-24-2004, 07:51 PM

Originally posted by Rattletrap1
The co-phased antenna looks nice, but you really don't get the benefit, due to them not be 1/4 wavelength apart.
Yeah, I know what you're referring to. And I was worried about that being an issue when I first started looking at radio stuff. So I did some research...and I believe what FireStik lists on the Tech Doc page of their website. Granted, it's a biased source since they would probably love for people to buy six antennas a piece, much less one or two...but I believe what they say about it having at least some benefit. And mine will be spaced about 5'-6' apart since my truck is pretty big.
Spacing of the antennas in a dual antenna installation will have an affect on the radiation pattern of the antennas. Technically, spacing between the antennas should be nine feet (2.7m) to have the most balanced pattern. If that distance cannot be achieved, that alone should not discourage you from using co-phased antennas as you will still receive most of the benefits of a dual antenna set-up. However, spacing less than five feet (1.5m) may require some special tuning skills in order to achieve satisfactory SWR readings.
Old 06-24-2004, 08:14 PM

My plan is to install a Firestik on each side, peak and tune the system for one and use the other for my scanner...just a thought.
Old 06-24-2004, 08:30 PM

Don't forget that FireStik makes a 4' scanner antenna for that very purpose.
Old 06-24-2004, 08:58 PM

I have mine wired directly to the battery. I also have a PA speaker up front in the bumper. It is nice to be able to monitor the CB from outside the truck.

I think you would have to leave your cb on for months for it to drain two batteries.
Old 06-25-2004, 12:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine is direct to the battery and I don't use it much. It is rarely shut off, stays on all the time. They don't draw enough power to run the batteries down. Use the kiss method, just go direct to the battery and forget it. A good way for max quiet is to feed it with some cheap coax, center hot and shield ground.
Old 06-25-2004, 08:32 PM

OK, I now have practically all the parts I'm going to need to do the installation except for the floor mount that will hold the actual radio (no huge deal--and it'll get here tomorrow) and some small items that I'll be able to get at the local hardware store during the installation itself. The coax and mounts arrived from FireStik today and here's what the final product is going to look like before mounted on the truck:

I'm really pleased with the way it looks and with the quality of the FireStik products. Here is the mount being held up to the bed of my truck:

I think I'm going to wind up just using the top three mounting holes (there are four main ones in all) and moving the mount down a bit (as is shown in the above photo) because the four holes are spaced out such that they would BARELY fit on the part of the bed that I'm mounting it on and I hate to have it be that close.

Anyway, maybe I can do the installation tomorrow. Or at least start on it. Oh...what do y'all think about running the coax from the antennas, to the underside of the cab (on the outside, yes), then up through the floorboard and into the cab? Do you think that would be a bad idea to have them on the outside like that?
Old 06-25-2004, 11:45 PM

I ran mine up under the cab, up the fender and up the firewall. Get some wire loom to help protect them and reduce electrical noise. I've had gread results with my setup, paid $50 for a Cobra 29 NW ST, and $50 for whips and cables. Just have to find a better way to mount that huge radio! I wish I could get it up where the overhead console is, but i don't wan to scrap the overhead console...
Old 06-25-2004, 11:50 PM

Check out the mounting bracket I'm getting tomorrow. It's called the Wunder CB Mounting Bracket and can be seen here:

http://www.protintnw.com/sa_dodge-acc.htm

Also, where can I get wire loom cheap?
Old 06-26-2004, 12:00 AM

I just got some from Wal-Mart for like $3. I think it came 5 feet at a time.
Old 06-26-2004, 12:45 PM

Originally posted by Crimedog
I just got some from Wal-Mart for like $3. I think it came 5 feet at a time.
Which department was it in? Our Wal-Mart is out of town so I'm gonna call them to see if they have it in stock first.
Old 06-26-2004, 03:31 PM

NM, I got some of it. It comes in 6ft. packs.

Quick Reply: Awesome CB Radio Setup