2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

AC pressure readings

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2004, 01:45 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you are just topping off a system you would use the low side while the system is in operation. to charge an evacuated system on the low side while idle could destroy the compressor when started.
Old 08-28-2004, 03:44 PM

I just took it down the road and it was putting out 55 degrees from the middle vent. Not where it needs to be but much better than it was. The longer I ran it seemed to get better. I will put the guages back on and see if the readings have changed.
Old 08-29-2004, 01:10 AM
Banned

Ac

The system has a vaccume on it for a while (over night) and when you add refrigerant to the low side and watch the high side to see if it breaks vaccume ,the reasone , to see if you have a restriction in the system.
I have seen to much oil in the system and the ac would not get cold. Some types of refrigerant is charged on the liquid side to keep the gass from fracturating on blends.
If I leave the ducts on outside air the system gets 60 or so but if I change the ducts to inside air then I can get 41 or a little more.
Are you throttling the ducts to recycle the inside air. It does get colder with my truck. I have thought that I could insulate some of the cooling lines to help make the system colder but 41 on a 98 degree day will work for me. good luck and hang in there as you will turn it around Jim
Old 08-31-2004, 06:44 AM

I am now getting a best of 44 at the center duct. Don't know why the change. I can live with this but a whole new system should be a little better. I still have higher than spec pressures.
Old 09-03-2004, 11:53 PM

The orafice tube on my 99' is in the low side line coming off of the condensor going to the drier. Had to bye the whole line from DC $80. Alot of the refrigerant you by has pag oil in it this doesn't work well if you have already put in the proper amount of oil in the system. Also you could have gotten moisture in the new dryer. Did you break every line and flush it with carb or brake cleaner? The condensor included? It should be black when it comes out. I have a bottle I fill with brake cleaner then pressurize it. This blows out all trash and grime in the system.
Old 09-04-2004, 01:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My system is working fine, good temperatures, but it has some moisture in it. Real hot day it will freeze and blow warm air at stops. It has a new drier and was pumped down with a good commercial pump overnight. Suggestions on how to remove the moisture. Drier was about 80 bucks.
Old 09-04-2004, 08:43 AM
Banned

mosture

Originally posted by Haulin_in_Dixie
My system is working fine, good temperatures, but it has some moisture in it. Real hot day it will freeze and blow warm air at stops. It has a new drier and was pumped down with a good commercial pump overnight. Suggestions on how to remove the moisture. Drier was about 80 bucks.
I like to use a good vaccume pump and let the system remain in a deep vaccume for overnight or longer. When you charge the system you dont wont any air to be added to the system.
I have seen systems that if you dont have enough air flow( fan on low) and the mosture content is high in the air that the evapator would ice over. When that happenes you have to wonder if the refrigant is completly boiled out to a gass before if goes to the compressor. good luck Jim
Old 09-04-2004, 09:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: moisture

Originally posted by jimk
I like to use a good vaccume pump and let the system remain in a deep vaccume for overnight or longer. When you charge the system you dont wont any air to be added to the system.
I have seen systems that if you dont have enough air flow( fan on low) and the mosture content is high in the air that the evapator would ice over. When that happenes you have to wonder if the refrigant is completly boiled out to a gass before if goes to the compressor. good luck Jim
Wrong freezing, I'm talking about the moisture being released from the desiccant under real hot conditions and freezing in the capillary tube. Turning off the unit for a few seconds brings it back to full output.
Old 09-05-2004, 12:07 AM
Banned

Re: Re: moisture

Originally posted by Haulin_in_Dixie
Wrong freezing, I'm talking about the moisture being released from the desiccant under real hot conditions and freezing in the capillary tube. Turning off the unit for a few seconds brings it back to full output.
the deep vaccume is suppose to boil out the mosture out of the system. I would keep the system in a deep vaccume for enough time to remove the mosture. Or that is what I have been told? jim
Old 09-07-2004, 01:33 PM

the longer the vacuum is pulled ,the colder the a/c will be. hi psi on suction and discharge sides indicates air and/or moisture in system or overcharge. a/c should be tested in recirc. mode w/cabin closed. temp diffrential should be 30 degrees F between air intake & vent closest to evap.
haulin, sounds like your system is little low on charge, cools good but suction side pulls temp below freezing.
suction line should sweat up to compressor but no further.