2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

97 Charging/fuel solenoid issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 Charging/fuel solenoid issues

I am trying to help a friend out with his 97 12V Dually Cummins.

Problems started a few years ago when he had the death wobble and it blew the #9 engine fuse. Replaced the fuse and all was well until recently when he had the death wobble and it blew the fuse but immediately blew when he replaced it.

I dug under the hood this morning and found the harness that runs across the drivers side to have gotten pinched between the fuel solenoid and the distribution block on the brake master cylinder. The green/black wire insulation had been compromised along with several other wires. I taped them up and tried starting it.

The fuel solenoid would pull in long enough for the engine to run and then disengage which means the hold circuit is not supplying power via the green/black wire . We bypassed the normal circuit and ran 12 volts directly to the solenoid and it will hold. I am thinking there is a connector that got messed up closer to the fuse box but I am not sure where to look.

Another thing is that the alternator has stopped charging and I am not getting voltage on the field terminals.

Any ideas for me to troubleshoot? Where is the ECM that other posts reference that controls the alternator?
Old 09-29-2016, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We got it figured out. Sometimes I wish a larger amperage fuse would require a larger size slot. I guess he had put a 30Amp fuse in place of the 10A the last time it blew. So this time around it blew the 30 but it also took out the wire that ran between the fuse block and the junction block.

Once I replaced that all is well.