2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Dash Replacement Question?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 11:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dash Replacement Question?

Buttoning up final stages of dash top half install. Wondering if the broken plastic in my lower dash section that I patched is going to last? Broken from headlight switch across the top of the cluster to the temp control unit. Funny thing this is a low mileage truck. I don't have ready access to parts other than shipping in so I'm going to give it a try? Is the lower dash half available from Mopar? Hard to tell after a quick look at web site. One of the threads that I researched said to order the fire wall plastic clips for the bolts across the dash top. Good advise! I broke two had four on hand. Anyone else find the lower dash half cracking out? I only found one thread that warned to be careful to not crack out the plastic around the headlight switch area. I did a lot of research prior to starting this project.

2002,Ram 2500,4x4,shortbed excab,HO,6sp,guages,smarty,17" MT's, Bumper w12K warn,
Old 02-24-2016, 08:11 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Mileage won't wear out a dash, it's the 14 year old plastic....

My truck is a Washington native and the dash started going south about two years ago now. It's cracked in about 10 places. Once started it won't stop. Geno's is now selling an improved full dashtop replacement for our model years....
Old 02-25-2016, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SIXSLUG
Mileage won't wear out a dash, it's the 14 year old plastic....

My truck is a Washington native and the dash started going south about two years ago now. It's cracked in about 10 places. Once started it won't stop. Geno's is now selling an improved full dashtop replacement for our model years....
I have to say the fact that the dash on mine was broken into multiple little pieces when I jumped in for a test drive at the dealer was a shocker. Been in and out of a lot of old trucks in my time and never saw anything like that, literally could have been jig saw puzzle pieces. I found dash replacements from LMC truck but I am worried that is the same MOPAR crap that failed the test of time this time around. I'll have to check out Geno's offerings. Thanks.

Last edited by City Rat; 02-25-2016 at 09:36 AM. Reason: I hate auto spell check
Old 02-25-2016, 09:53 PM

City Rat, good luck I used a LMC dash top. I looked at Mopar and Geno's also. My problem was with the OE plastic frame work under my broken OE dash top. I was able to glue my dash frame back together then screw the switchs, clusters, controls back in then finish my new top install. In final reassembly I was hesitant to hit the bezel and seat the push clips for fear I'd crack the frame under my new top... LOL... Good luck if you do yours be patient hope your frame underneath is in good condition. I'll guess it's Mopar or a wrecking yard only if my dash frame/ lower half breaks and folds. My work truck is a 1998.5 3500 4x4 reg cab 100K of hard hard miles loaded to max gvw. No dash cracks at all...

2002, SB, 4x4, HO, 6sp, 4.10's, smarty, gauges, 17"MT's, bumper w12k warn
Old 02-26-2016, 04:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluMtnRam
City Rat, good luck I used a LMC dash top. I looked at Mopar and Geno's also. My problem was with the OE plastic frame work under my broken OE dash top. I was able to glue my dash frame back together then screw the switchs, clusters, controls back in then finish my new top install. In final reassembly I was hesitant to hit the bezel and seat the push clips for fear I'd crack the frame under my new top... LOL... Good luck if you do yours be patient hope your frame underneath is in good condition. I'll guess it's Mopar or a wrecking yard only if my dash frame/ lower half breaks and folds. My work truck is a 1998.5 3500 4x4 reg cab 100K of hard hard miles loaded to max gvw. No dash cracks at all...

2002, SB, 4x4, HO, 6sp, 4.10's, smarty, gauges, 17"MT's, bumper w12k warn
Great point, I will.pull the jig saw puzzle pieces out of the way and take a hard look at what kind of shape the underlying frame is in. Thanks.
Old 02-26-2016, 02:49 PM

In case you haven't found this. Shows shots of frame under dash top.

2002, sb,4x4,ho,6sp,4.10's,smarty,guages,17"mt's, bumper w12K warn,
Old 03-09-2018, 07:59 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BluMtnRam
Buttoning up final stages of dash top half install. Wondering if the broken plastic in my lower dash section that I patched is going to last? Broken from headlight switch across the top of the cluster to the temp control unit. Funny thing this is a low mileage truck. I don't have ready access to parts other than shipping in so I'm going to give it a try? Is the lower dash half available from Mopar? Hard to tell after a quick look at web site. One of the threads that I researched said to order the fire wall plastic clips for the bolts across the dash top. Good advise! I broke two had four on hand. Anyone else find the lower dash half cracking out? I only found one thread that warned to be careful to not crack out the plastic around the headlight switch area. I did a lot of research prior to starting this project.

2002,Ram 2500,4x4,shortbed excab,HO,6sp,guages,smarty,17" MT's, Bumper w12K warn,
I have the exact same problem as you, please tell me what the fix is. The parts we need are no longer available from Dodge.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:16 AM

Dash Surgery

My dash bottom and interior fame is still suffering along. Yes it is deteriorating! 2 Weeks ago I installed a refreshed "Factory Radio" head unit Replacing the CD/AM/FM unit due to common no display problem. The unit was plug and play works nice BTW, when I pulled my face bezel or face frame to do the install......... a couple of Chunks of the under fame fellout. My Dodge is shedding. Around the headlight switch is limping along so far. As I stated in another post some of my glue job is holding some didn't. I used JB Weld plastic glue. Looking back I wish I'd spent more time studing welding plastic and or prepping the joints that I attemped do dash surgery on! If your is salvageable? Invest some time prepping before applying glue. I'll guess I should have scuffed and chemically cleaned the defect site prior to application? DO NOT USE my truck as an example. It gets easy and little hard mileage! I used to drive a 98.5 3500 4x4 at work not one crack and it got the living heck hammered out of it to 100K. Now I drive a gutless Ford!
The following users liked this post:
Kerley (03-21-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 09:56 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I rebuilt the important tabs with quick setting JB weld. I found a site that has a new inside dash structure but they want $600 for it sooo, yeah no.
Wipe down the plastic with either MEK or acetone back to strong plastic and apply some coats of the epoxy with a acid brush. After enough coats to build up what you need you can drill out or sand back to make it fit right. I'm on my second top dash now. Even the aftermarket plastic wasn't good.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:22 AM

Received 89 Likes on 84 Posts
For those that might be interested, what is the sight with the new inside structure?
Old 03-23-2018, 12:26 PM

Marietta Auto Salvage
Its an online new/used parts search. From day to day they will get all kinds of weird things. I found them looking for an overhead console computer.

Wow that link changed up! I think the place I go is a clearing house. let me get the right one.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:35 PM

https://www.partrequest.com/auto-par...e-263550941583

https://www.partrequest.com/auto-par...y-282573185337

Here are two entries they have for the dash pieces in question.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:40 PM

This is the link for the internal structure.
https://www.partrequest.com/auto-par...y-112828447187
The following users liked this post:
texasprd (03-27-2018)