2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

2001wiring harness problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 07:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001wiring harness problem

my son just picked up a 2001 2500 4x4 ext cab cummins /auto. The high beams or low beams not sure witch one (no indicator light for high beams comes on)

Let me start here they put a dash harness from a 2001 2500 gas and now we have some kind of short in the main harness plug right before it goes through the firewall. The head lights work but when you pull for high beams it blows the fuse for park lights fuse/relay box (under the hood) and the parking lights dont go out and the high beams dont light ( I think its the high beams). The dash is pulled all apart I have seen no damaged wiring melted or other wise.

I'm thinking that this gas harness is not the same as a cummins harness and I'm thinking maybe I can re pin the plug ? everything in the truck works but this head light issue .... changed light switch acted, same changed multi func. switch acted same, I have a 2001 cummins also and when you pull the fuse under the hood for parking lights mine go out. I have many hours searching out this problem and have found other wires that were damaged for the cab in the plastic rocker cover and have repaired them and all of that works fine

any info on plug/or pin locations / or diagrams for the main harness dash plug ... orshould we just replace the dash harness with one from a 2001 cummins ???

Thanks
Old 03-28-2013, 10:11 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
The gas and diesel applications are indeed different, I would find the correct harness and save a lot of headache.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:51 AM

Fighting a never ending battle with a harness from a gasser...
Old 03-28-2013, 07:57 PM

Find you old under dash harness and get the part number off of it. Then, find one that matches that part number.
Even the same year, same motor, have different harnesses due to different options.
And working behind someone else is a double mess.
It's not a Sport model truck with normal headlights stuck in the holes is it?
Old 03-29-2013, 05:15 AM

Harness

Originally Posted by Redlinear
Find you old under dash harness and get the part number off of it. Then, find one that matches that part number.
Even the same year, same motor, have different harnesses due to different options.
And working behind someone else is a double mess.
It's not a Sport model truck with normal headlights stuck in the holes is it?

The old harness is long gone ... we got the truck like this and it's not a sport model it a stripped out manual windows no power locks no cruise control... nothing. I'm thinking it's a dash from a sport model and thats what the problem is.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:29 PM

2nd best option. Find a dash harness out an 01 or 02 diesel truck and...hope.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:14 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
The first thing I would do is to pull apart that main connector under the dash and make sure somebody didn't bend a pin over when they plugged the connector together. Have seen it done several times, and it can create some interesting symptoms when a pin is bent over and touching several others.

Next, if it was me, I would get the Dodge service manual and look at the wiring diagrams regarding headlights and park lights, and follow each wire through the circuit, see what goes where and what has power at what time. See what wire mates with what wire at each connector, and make sure each one is in the correct cavity in each connector. If there is a difference between gas and diesel on any given circuit, the diagram will indicate it. I understand that this procedure is pretty advanced, and not everybody will be comfortable tackling it but I think it may be easier than trying to identify and locate the proper harness if several different versions were used on that model year.

Do you have any idea why the harness was replaced in the first place?
Old 03-29-2013, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by torquefan
The first thing I would do is to pull apart that main connector under the dash and make sure somebody didn't bend a pin over when they plugged the connector together. Have seen it done several times, and it can create some interesting symptoms when a pin is bent over and touching several others.

Next, if it was me, I would get the Dodge service manual and look at the wiring diagrams regarding headlights and park lights, and follow each wire through the circuit, see what goes where and what has power at what time. See what wire mates with what wire at each connector, and make sure each one is in the correct cavity in each connector. If there is a difference between gas and diesel on any given circuit, the diagram will indicate it. I understand that this procedure is pretty advanced, and not everybody will be comfortable tackling it but I think it may be easier than trying to identify and locate the proper harness if several different versions were used on that model year.

Do you have any idea why the harness was replaced in the first place?

They said that they jacked knifed a trailor and ripped the plug off the back and it shorted a ground wire out in the dash ??? I'm not really sure if I believe it or not but thats the story I was givin ... I found the wires under the plastic sill cover for the cab light and speakers and 3rd brake light and cargo light 9 wires in total burned all of that is fixed and working ... dash is out harness (engine and dash) cut open and looks good no other damage anywhere that I can see.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:36 PM

Harness

I went to the dealer today and got the pinout for the gas dash plug and the cummins dash plug and I'm getting ready to take a look and see how bad it is. I got 3 part numbers for the harness's that will work in this truck just incase I need to get a harness. First I'm going to do the pin out if they are even close or have the same stuff just in different places.. fixing it for free is always better then spending a bunch of money..
Old 03-29-2013, 05:56 PM

I just got done looking at the gas harness diagram and the diesel harness diagram and there's no way I'm going to add wires that are missing... lookslike were on the hunt for the harness
Part number
#56045365AG
#56045365AH
#56045365AI
Old 03-30-2013, 08:49 AM

We just got back from the yard and it's a no go on the harness we found its a
#56045333AF
so we still need a dash harness
Old 03-30-2013, 01:56 PM

There are a bunch of them on eBay. Do a search for "dodge ram diesel wire harness" Contact the sellers and see if they have the right part number. Keep looking as one will turn up on eBay or a wrecking yard for sure. The dash harness is the last thing to get damaged. See if you can find a yard that uses the Internet yard search software to find parts for each other. They can do a country wide search. Just make sure you are getting the correct part number before handing over any money.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Dane
There are a bunch of them on eBay. Do a search for "dodge ram diesel wire harness" Contact the sellers and see if they have the right part number. Keep looking as one will turn up on eBay or a wrecking yard for sure. The dash harness is the last thing to get damaged. See if you can find a yard that uses the Internet yard search software to find parts for each other. They can do a country wide search. Just make sure you are getting the correct part number before handing over any money.

I'm wondering if just a dash harness from a cummins would work because we want to add power windows and ect.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:46 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Keep the harness you have and just run new good quality wire for the headlights using relays, solve two problems with one action.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Busboy
Keep the harness you have and just run new good quality wire for the headlights using relays, solve two problems with one action.

Your saying to keep the gas harness thats in it now and just run wires for the park and head lights high/low beam

Quick Reply: 2001wiring harness problem