2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

1st Gen and 2nd Gen differences

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 01:30 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Every time I've heard someone complain that their 1st gen has a harsh ride it's because the front springs are shot. When I replaced the front springs on my '92 it was a night and day difference. With the new springs my '92 rode just as nicely as my 2000.

The jump seats in the '92 were the reason I sold it and got the 2000. We had a baby on the way and no good way to secure a baby seat in the back. When I started talking about drilling through the floor and installing anchor points, my wife just rolled her eyes.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Midnite
Every time I've heard someone complain that their 1st gen has a harsh ride it's because the front springs are shot. When I replaced the front springs on my '92 it was a night and day difference. With the new springs my '92 rode just as nicely as my 2000.

The jump seats in the '92 were the reason I sold it and got the 2000. We had a baby on the way and no good way to secure a baby seat in the back. When I started talking about drilling through the floor and installing anchor points, my wife just rolled her eyes.
For me, the big change would have been going from a 12 valve motor to a 24 valve VP engine
Old 09-15-2011, 12:01 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by sootnsmoke
For me, the big change would have been going from a 12 valve motor to a 24 valve VP engine
Again.....this topic will ONLY be based on opinion. The 24 valve has significant advantages over the 12 valve so to indicate that the 12v is the only way to go is just completely biased. If the VP didn't have such a bad history then you can guarantee that you would hardly hear anyone talk about 12 valve engines. Sure the P-pump is capable of producing more HP than the VP but that fact alone probably wouldn't suffice most 24 valve guys giving up 1000 usable RPM.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by KATOOM
Again.....this topic will ONLY be based on opinion. The 24 valve has significant advantages over the 12 valve so to indicate that the 12v is the only way to go is just completely biased. If the VP didn't have such a bad history then you can guarantee that you would hardly hear anyone talk about 12 valve engines. Sure the P-pump is capable of producing more HP than the VP but that fact alone probably wouldn't suffice most 24 valve guys giving up 1000 usable RPM.

Don't believe there is anything wrong with the 24 valve motor but the pump/fueling is just as important if not more. Just reading through this thread, oh my:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...k-t294293.html

Can't imagine the money outlay going through multiple pumps in a few years like the owners in that thread. Interesting reading. I give them kudos for sticking with it even after going broke in the process. Until recently I didn't know about the unit bearing design in the 4wd 2nd gens along with the chain driven transfer case either. No serviceable hubs!
Not to bash any generation as all will have their pros and cons. Definately nice to have a full rear seat especially if you are transporting any kids.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by sootnsmoke
Don't believe there is anything wrong with the 24 valve motor but the pump/fueling is just as important if not more. Just reading through this thread, oh my:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...k-t294293.html

Can't imagine the money outlay going through multiple pumps in a few years like the owners in that thread. Interesting reading. I give them kudos for sticking with it even after going broke in the process. Until recently I didn't know about the unit bearing design in the 4wd 2nd gens along with the chain driven transfer case either. No serviceable hubs!
Not to bash any generation as all will have their pros and cons. Definately nice to have a full rear seat especially if you are transporting any kids.
I agree..... All models of vehicles will have their pro's and con's over previous models, and some of those pro's will be enough to make someone want it and some of the con's will be enough to keep someone from wanting it. My opinion of the 2nd gen trucks is that the pro's far out weigh the con's. That by no means is me saying that I dislike 1st gen trucks either but simply that I'd rather have a 2nd gen if I had the choice. Of course, if I had the time and money I'd build a Frankintruck made of all my favored parts.

And as for the thread you linked, you will see that I was also part of that discussion. Not to discredit anyones opinions on the thread either but more to prove that "usually" someones disgruntled opinion about the VP is based on false information and/or doing things which are known to cause VP failure. So how can anyone stand back and agree with them without pointing out key facts, letting them know that if they did "this" or "that" then they may have never had an issue? This was all I was trying to point out.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:56 PM

Both are solid trucks but it's hard to beat a 1st gen. The comment about the worn out springs couldn't be closer to the truth. I think mine rides better On the highway then my old 03 half ton. Ofcourse you hit some stout bumps with the spring suspension and your gonna feel something

Yes, the Ppump will put out more fuel and higher HP, but if your just going for a truck to get in and drive every day I'd go gen 1. The VE is an awesome pump and the low end power is great! Plus, you can't beat the quick as lightening starting of the VE.

The Dana 80 in the manual and dually 2nd gens is a plus too.

It's really personal preference. The 1st gens seem to be going up in value as well.

Oh and yeah the 24 valve is a good motor and ya sure you can make em last for a while and I'm sure the a lot of the failures are due to operator error. I just wouldn't want to personally deal with all the electronics. 12 valve to 24 valve, cost of repair can be night and day.

Best feature of the 24 valve is the good breathing head.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Jklawinsky
Both are solid trucks but it's hard to beat a 1st gen. The comment about the worn out springs couldn't be closer to the truth. I think mine rides better On the highway then my old 03 half ton. Ofcourse you hit some stout bumps with the spring suspension and your gonna feel something

Yes, the Ppump will put out more fuel and higher HP, but if your just going for a truck to get in and drive every day I'd go gen 1. The VE is an awesome pump and the low end power is great! Plus, you can't beat the quick as lightening starting of the VE.

The Dana 80 in the manual and dually 2nd gens is a plus too.

It's really personal preference. The 1st gens seem to be going up in value as well.

Oh and yeah the 24 valve is a good motor and ya sure you can make em last for a while and I'm sure the a lot of the failures are due to operator error. I just wouldn't want to personally deal with all the electronics. 12 valve to 24 valve, cost of repair can be night and day.

Best feature of the 24 valve is the good breathing head.
In this economy ALL used vehicles are going up in value. You'd think that auto repair shops would be busier as well but it appears that people are fixing their own vehicles more too.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:58 PM

The biggest issue with 1st gens is that most of them are just plain worn out. Rusty cabs, worn out suspension and steering, broken interior pieces, seat bolsters gone, ugly rusty bodies. There are some very nice 1st gens on this site but that's not representative of the majority. I put softer riding springs in mine but after driving rough gravel roads the dash still sounds like it's going to end up in my lap. It's too compare as my 1st gen was fairly worn out when I bought it and my 2nd gen is mint. It's nicer to drive and I don't ever have to fiddle with it. Being able to adjust power on the fly is nice too. My when my 1st gen is cranked up it's smoky and the mileage suffers, my 2nd gen is as easy as pushing a button and still gets awesome mileage on 5.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:04 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Engine changes listed here> http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/Facts/epa_changes.htm
Old 09-22-2011, 03:53 PM

I have had both......I had to get a 2nd gen because ya cant fit a car seat in an ex cab 1st gen.

NV4500 vs G360............The NV4500 is 10 times better than the getrag. Ive broken roll pins, shift forks and everything else in the getrag. The 4500 just shifts so much shorter and firmer.

p7100 vs bosch ve........Both can be tuned easily to make good power and both are reliable if you supply them with fuel. If you wanna make reaalllyyyy big power then p7100 is the way too go.

1st gen cab VS 2nd gen cab........Like I said I had to sell my 1st gen so I could fit a car seat in the back. If you dont need to put people in the back then find you a good 1st gen LE cab with bucket seats (the most comfortable seats ever put in a truck).

And in my opinion a 1st gen on some 33s is the best looking truck ever. I would still have a 1st gen if I didnt need the space. Lots of people have taken an older dodge crew cab and stuck a 12valve in it and in my opinion that is the ultimate truck, would of bought one if I had gotten to it i time.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Same here, sold my first gen because of the car seat issue as well, my 2nd gen defiantly more refined but not the same. Would love to convert a crew cab, defiantly the ultimate truck!!