2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

1st Gen and 2nd Gen differences

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 12:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st Gen and 2nd Gen differences

Trying to learn about the major differences between 1st Gens and 2nd Gens (94 to 98 12valves) aside from the basics such as VE/7100 injector pumps, body changes etc. What are the positive and negative changes between the two generations in terms of chassis, transfer case (NP205 still in 2nd Gens?), electrical etc. I know the 2nd gen 4x4s use coil and trailing arm as opposed to front leafs on the 1st gens. What is the pro/con on this? I know the front hubs on 1st gens are manual lockout but the 2nd gens use another design. Any down or upside to the 2nd gen hub type and design? I recall hearing some bad comments about the 2nd gen hubs in the past but don't recall the details. Any advantage or disavantages to the different chassis designs? On the manual transmissions, I know most prefer the NV4500 5 speed in the second gens over the 1st Gen G360 Getrags. Any trans case or differential differences?
Old 09-10-2011, 11:18 AM

Anyone owned both a 1st and 2nd gen?
Old 09-10-2011, 05:59 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Have fun reading. http://dodgeram.org/support_pgs/diesel_ix.htm
Old 09-11-2011, 04:37 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
The P7100 is the best fuel delivery system.

The 2nd gen front axles/design is weak and lackluster. You can't run 4low w/o the front hubs engaging for grunt on the boat ramps.

The styling and aerodynamics of the 2nd gen is the best looking truck style as far as I am concerned.

The 2nd gen later electronics and ECM are an achilles heel, as is the vp44.

Much less to go wrong with the first gens and some of the club cab 4x4 with nice tires and wheels are pretty sharp.

2nd gen engines will far outlast the truck's moving parts for sure.

My dream project is a p-pumped Cummins in a 71 International 1-ton pickup.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by SIXSLUG
The P7100 is the best fuel delivery system.

The 2nd gen front axles/design is weak and lackluster. You can't run 4low w/o the front hubs engaging for grunt on the boat ramps.

The styling and aerodynamics of the 2nd gen is the best looking truck style as far as I am concerned.

The 2nd gen later electronics and ECM are an achilles heel, as is the vp44.

Much less to go wrong with the first gens and some of the club cab 4x4 with nice tires and wheels are pretty sharp.

2nd gen engines will far outlast the truck's moving parts for sure.

My dream project is a p-pumped Cummins in a 71 International 1-ton pickup.

Thank you. When you say the 2nd gen front axle is weaker, can you tell me more about that? Also, what makes the 2nd gen front axle engagement/locking method different than the 1st gen manual locking hub system? Is the 2nd gen lockout done through an electric switch and central lockout component between T-case and front axle? All 4wd drive trucks I have owned have been manual lock out only so not sure how they operate and pro/cons.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:09 AM

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
I have owned a couple of 1st Gens and a couple of 2nd Gens and in terms of simplicity and ease of maintenance I would have to go with the 1st Gens. In terms of cab room and driving comfort I would have to go with the 2nd Gens.
I guess my ideal truck would be a 2001 QC 4X4 dually with a p-pumped motor, a NV5600 trans, a NP205 xfer case and leaf spring front suspension with locking hubs.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:20 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sootnsmoke
Anyone owned both a 1st and 2nd gen?
You mean like this? Also had an 89 and a 95 at the same time.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:28 PM

The second gen D60 has ball joints and unit bearings. Both are weaker than the kingpins and traditional bearings of the first gen axles.
I have replaced two unit bearings, in seven years. If they could be lubed, they might last longer.
The ball joints are all still solid, after five or six years...
Old 09-13-2011, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by seahawkdodge
The second gen D60 has ball joints and unit bearings. Both are weaker than the kingpins and traditional bearings of the first gen axles.
I have replaced two unit bearings, in seven years. If they could be lubed, they might last longer.
The ball joints are all still solid, after five or six years...
Nice! If you could only keep one, would it be a 1st or 2nd Gen?
Old 09-13-2011, 08:16 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
If I only needed a single cab, it probably would be a first gen, ext. cab, second gen all the way.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sootnsmoke
Nice! If you could only keep one, would it be a 1st or 2nd Gen?
For reliability, First gen all the way.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:51 AM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
I think the real factor is not what truck is better since most differences will always depend on personal opinion over factual data, but more what do you want or can afford to spend on a truck.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by KATOOM
I think the real factor is not what truck is better since most differences will always depend on personal opinion over factual data, but more what do you want or can afford to spend on a truck.
Very true.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:03 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Nobody's really touched on the transfer case differences, so I'll hit that one. The 1st gen's NP205 is absolutely bullet proof. It's a gear design where the 2nd gen's is a chain and sprocket design. The chain/sprocket design allows for shifting into 4 wheel drive on the fly, where the gear design doesn't. I also believe that the 1st gen unit has a cast iron case where the 2nd gen one is cast aluminum and is a little weaker.

I haven't had any problems with the transfer case in my 2nd gen, but I've heard of people busting the chain on them. I don't know if they are doing stupid things to do so or not.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Midnite
Nobody's really touched on the transfer case differences, so I'll hit that one. The 1st gen's NP205 is absolutely bullet proof. It's a gear design where the 2nd gen's is a chain and sprocket design. The chain/sprocket design allows for shifting into 4 wheel drive on the fly, where the gear design doesn't. I also believe that the 1st gen unit has a cast iron case where the 2nd gen one is cast aluminum and is a little weaker.

I haven't had any problems with the transfer case in my 2nd gen, but I've heard of people busting the chain on them. I don't know if they are doing stupid things to do so or not.

Good points here. From what I gather, in the area of strength and reliability of components (hubs, front end, T-case etc) 1st gen truck have real advantages. Also servicable hubs with no expensive non-servicable unit design, stronger king pin vs 2nd gen ball joint. While nobody has touched on it, I think most agree that the 2nd gen NV4500 5 speed trans are a bit stronger than a g360. At the same time, for stock or close to stock motors it seems both are more than capable manual transmissions. From the couple 1st and 2nd gens I have seen under the hood, the 1st gen seem to have more room or accessibility for maintenance and repair.

On the second gen plus side is the 7100 pump capabilities. I believe both VE and 7100 are considered very reliable just different performance tuning limits? Full back seat, no jumpers. I would imagine a softer ride courtesy of coils rather than leafs? I am sure I am missing a bunch but this is what I gather so far....

Quick Reply: 1st Gen and 2nd Gen differences