2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

1998 Front wheel bearing

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 Front wheel bearing

The other day I had to brake hard to avoid someone who pulled out in front of me, and right after that the truck started pulling to the right. I took it to Brake Chek for a front end alignment, and it still pulled to the right. A mechanic friend of mine and I checked the right wheel to make sure that the brake wasn't dragging.

Today I took it back to Brake Chek and the said that I had a worn bearing in the right front wheel. Do you think this is true? My mechanic friend did say that both wheels felt kind of tight when we were checking them earlier.

If you think it is worn, then could someone tell me how to change the bearings, and what brand to get?
Old 08-11-2008, 02:03 PM

I would 1st , do not go back to the place that didn't fix it right the 1st time , and gave you a different thing to pay them for the 2nd time , unless they are going to give you credit for money already spent and guarantee all repairs [ get it right the 1st time ] .
We can not tell if you have a bearing problem or not from the lack of info you have given , we do not know your friends ability , and can not tell if sometime is true , buy just asking the question .
I can try to give you some info , but many times it requires judgment [ judgment requires experience ] .
Jack the front end off the ground & support with jack stands , grab the top & bottom of the wheel and alternately push & pull on top & bottom of wheel , there should be no movement or noise [ clunk - clunk ] , if it does it could be ball joints or bearings , you would need someone to watch & feel the ball joints & the hub to see what was lose .
Also do the same with the wheel front & real , to check for steering components being lose of worn .
Your description / signature of your truck does not say either way , if its a 2x4 or 4x4 .
Old 08-11-2008, 02:10 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
hope you bought the lifetime warranty...so far BC has been pretty good w/alignment on my truck. Just make sure they have the newer alignment system. If it's only a 2post lift, I doubt they'll even raise it up due to the truck weight as it becomes a little "shakey."
Old 08-11-2008, 11:20 PM

Thank you for the prompt feedback. My truck is 2WD and I added that to my truck description since you mentioned it.

About a year and a half ago another mechanic friend of mine, who needed a big boat towed, helped me change my front brakes. He did what you recommended about grabbing and manipulating the tires. I do recall that he commented on the play in the right front wheel and tightened the nut accordingly.

I did wind up having the work done at Brake Chek, because the truck is currently my sole vehicle, and my job has been keeping me rather busy as of late. I have lifetime alignment with them since they replaced my upper and lower ball joints last October. I believe that they were giving me the straight dope on the current situation, given the fact that the truck began pulling strongly immediately after I hit the brakes hard the other night. Up till then, my steering was tracking dead on.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:40 PM

Another possiblity is the brake hose to that side has failed internally and is acting as a one way check valve, not allowing pressure release from the caliper when you release the brake pedal. You can check that with the wheel off the ground. Have someone spin it and apply the brakes. Release the brake and the tire should immediately turn.