24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

What To Look For

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 07:20 AM

Location: I live in Bernville Pa but where I want to live is Colorado
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
buying a 1998-5 help

Hello I'm new to this diesel stuff. I'm looking at a 1998.5 2500 diesel,with 240000 miles and automatic trans.4X4 I'm told the trans was rebuilt about 1 year ago. Can you guys help me out here an tell me what else to check out real good before I buy this truck, how do I check out this lift pump an the injector pump. Any and all info on what an how to check it out would be a great help. Thanks in advance Bob Anybody have any suggestions

Last edited by bowhunter57; 10-11-2009 at 11:04 PM. Reason: no response
Old 10-12-2009, 06:14 PM

I don't know how to take this on here. I would think at least someone would have something to say about what to look for when buying one of these trucks. I'M CONFUSED
Old 10-12-2009, 07:36 PM

if you want to check the lift pump i would put a fuel pressure gauge on and make sure it has no less then 3psi at wot.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:21 PM

Take it by a parts store and have the codes read with a reader.
Get it in the air with lift and inspect for worn components and leaks. Look at suspension also for looseness. Look for underbody rust.
Does it drive good? Does it ride rough (normal)? How many bruises on sheet metal and conditin of paint? Is interior clean and smoke free? (took me two days to get rid of smoke)
Old 10-12-2009, 10:46 PM

also is this the original owner do you know? any signs of aftermarket parts that once was on there. is there or was there a bed ball or 5th wheel in place. your going to have some degree of TLC needed most likely due to miles but how or who the person was prior that had it says alot. how does the coolant look. is there alot of gunk/grim/oil in front on the cover. rust amount. look under the battery trays and see if there was ever leaky batteries. the other thing what do you plan on doing with it. alot of towing. daily driver, etc. bombing the hell out of it down the road. does the truck warm up slow. do you have heat or AC. look at the u-joints. these are all small things but they all do add up. as said already get a manual pressure gauge installed and see what you have. you can easly pull the filter off and look at the turbo and see if there is signs of shaft play or oil.
good luck let us know.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:01 AM

Well thanks you guys I went an bought it. the truck runs very good is in real nice condition, have had it for 2 days now an no oil leaks in the driveway. See I sold my HUMMER H2 and bought this truck the hummer was an 03 and was about the nicest thing I ever drove, BUT I have never been with out a truck before and I just felt out of place without one I am much more comfortable driving this truck than the hummer PLUS with the hummer when I would pull into places the PRICE OF WHAT EVER THIER SELLING JUST DOUBLED. Now I feel more like I'm in my element. THANKS GUYS FOR THE COMEBACKS. Bob