24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

What else can I REALLY do to add a few MPG's

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 05:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intresting "nitrousn", on wasting money for fans that don't do any better than stock.
Recentlly replaced injectors with 227,000 miles. One was bad causing severe engine knock and miss under load. (bought with 150,000 miles) Engine had always given reasonable mileage when comparing with other guys so figured was "normal". Pulled trailer for 600 miles and overhead showed 22.5 MPG. I know that is slightly off but went 660 miles on the tank of which's brew. In past, the best ever got pulling trailer was 17.7. Theory: with miles the injectors slowly loose their efficency due to wear. New injectors improved spray pattern and power and mileage returned. Best $217 spend so far on needed repairs that really improved milage back to orginal I guess. Aftermarket Stage one, stock replacement from Penasocal Diesel.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:40 AM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I am really maxed out with 19.5 mpg. I have done some testing on the "faster you go, more you flow" theory and at 70mph it drops to about 17. Still not bad I guess. I am pretty used to driving conservatively, accelerating like there is an egg beneath the go pedal, and driving around 62-63mph, just slow enough to make a difference, and just fast enough for me not to loose my mind. I think someone asked before, these calculations have been over the course of around 3000 miles so far. I only have 70,000 miles on her, so I don't think the injectors are an issue, and I don't think the APPS is an issues yet, but for $30 I might just go ahead and replace it. I am also going to try 2-stroke oil as that seems to be a pretty strong recommendation from a lot of people as just an all around good additive to use. Thanks for all the replies everyone.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just a couple of comments about electric fans versus the stock fan. The electric fan companies like to quote an inflated amount of horsepower the stock fan consumes. They fail to tell you the maximum is almost never reached unless the engine is working extremely hard or the cooling system is compromised in some way. It is true the stock fan can consume several horsepower, but again, this only happens when you really NEED it. Most of the time it is idling. When you do need that cooling, the electric fan is totally incapable of delivering that kind of cooling.

When my old truck needed the fan clutch replaced several years ago I replaced with dual electric fans. After that, my A/C did not work very well at lower speeds. After replacing the fans twice because they failed and caused A/C problems that cost me $480 to fix, I stopped at a local Dodge dealer and bought a new fan blade, fan shroud and viscous clutch for a heck of a lot of money and fixed all my problems. And my fuel mileage, whick I always track, never changed at all.
Old 08-31-2008, 03:25 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
WestTN makes a good point. Experience overules sales claims.

I called an old race mech. friend and he said they used electric fans because you were less likely to get caught in it when tuning and they reduced accessory drag on the gassers a little. He said they were not much advantage on a diesel at saving hp. My bad advice, sorry. Kurt