24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Wanting information on adding Edge Juice with attitude on 99

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 02:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow thats alot of money for a pump! Will the stock lift pump even if replaced not work? I am not wanting to make 600 more like 350hp? I am just afraid of tapping the wire on the 99 injector pump and killing it then really being out of money! As for factory lift pumps is a cummins factory pump any better then a parts store lift pump for it? Thanks CD
Old 01-17-2010, 08:43 AM

The cummins pump and the dodge pump are both the same and have a high fail rate, in canada the "stock" pumps are near 300$, so that makes an AD look pretty good in the price dept. I got lucky when I first got my truck and bought a "campain" pump for 120$ but now they are not avaliable, most guys will tell you, the stock pump costs you way more in the long run than just buying a good one up front

by all means get an Edge J/a, you dont have to hook the tap wire up, you will still get 60hp, and after you feel comfortable (or have spare cash) hook up the tap and see how it goes,
I tapped mine in Nov 09, got 2000hrs on my pump...
Old 01-17-2010, 07:24 PM
DRD

If it is the stock VP you do have a good chance of failure. Mine crapped on the first 5x5 pull.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:55 PM

buy buying an after market lift pump this will not keep my injection pump from failure will it?
Old 01-17-2010, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Derrick
buy buying an after market lift pump this will not keep my injection pump from failure will it?
an aftermarket pump stands a better chance of keeping a VP from failing, than a stock one does, a VP no matter if its new or got 200,000miles can fail from either electronic or mechanical issues, A VP needs a constant supply of cool fuel to lubricate and cool the VP, if supply is poor, then the chances are the electronics will fail because of heat or the lack of fuel allowed the mechanical parts to wear out

until you hook a fuel pressure gauge up you have NO idea how hard a life your VP has seen, good example I bought my truck with 297,000kms on it, according to 2nd owner(same family) nothing had ever been replaced on the engine, I did a spot check with a mechanical gauge taped to the windshield and it looked like I was seeing about 8psi under normal driving conditions, a few months later I got around to actually hooking up a fuel pressure gauge and found after about an hour of driving my pump would loose psi and on a quick romp on the throttle I'd drop to 1-2psi, no telling how long this LP had been weak...my guess it was a long time. I replaced my VP around 350,000kms because I was worried that it had been abused for too long, and as my truck is my source of income, I could not afford to be stranded on the road with a load of cargo. at the time I removed the VP, it still worked fine and the New VPworked no different in any way than the old one did. I went with an AD because of the lifetime warrantee and the fact that I should not have to worry about a LP failure, needless to say my AD did fail, it had about 1500hrs on it after 8months. a call to pureflow and I had a replacement Air Mailed to Canada in 4days! anything can and will fail, and there is no garenttee that your VP will not, more likely is if you do Tap the pump and it does fail, likely it would have kicked the bucket anyway...

again its just a gamble, but a safe bet would be to verify fuel pressure (mech gauge or edge J/A) if low instal an aftermarket pump, then if you feel brave Tap the pump, if your VP was in good shape it should last a long time