24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

"Wait to Start" light

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Wait to Start" light

Alright, what's wore out, broken or burned out that has my "Wait To Start" dash lamp stay on until it times out, regardless that the engine has been driven and is up to normal operating temperature?
Old 04-22-2015, 03:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is you have a scan tool or someone with a Smarty pull and see if you have a code.

You can check also to see if your grid heaters are even getting hot by turning the key without starting and feel for heat in the intake. Check all wires that go to the grid heater to the grid heater relays (under battery on fender well)

Check the fuses/relay etc.

Start with that. if you dont have a code reader , go to local parts store , they usually have them and will pull code for you.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:31 AM

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
IIRC the wait to start light length is related to how long the grid heaters are running which depends on the temperature. In addition to what Dieselwrks said I would also check the IAT sensor as I believe that is where it gets its temp reading from, though it should show a code I think it is allowed an over volt code and an under volt code. So it may not show a code and still not work correctly ie sensor thinks it is zero degrees which is still within the range of the sensor but obviously wrong if the engine is already warmed up. If you were to dig around here you may find the resistance values for different temps for that sensor in which case you could pull it and test it.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:02 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
If the IAT sensor is bad you will have crummy mileage also...

and it is related to start up.....
Old 04-23-2015, 12:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If the IAT sensor is bad you will have crummy mileage also...

and it is related to start up.....
Hmmmm??? Mine doesn't stay on but it does take a little longer to go out before start then sometimes it will come back and ding for about a second. The gauges also take little longer to energize at cold startup. Coincidentally, my mileage gauge reads a couple of miles less plus it takes it longer to figure out just where to normalize. If this could be the fault of the IAT sensor then my question is "Where dat at???".
Old 04-23-2015, 10:14 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Back of block behind MAP sensor. Just above fuel filter canister. There are two delphi connectors back there, its the rear one....takes a 15/16" deep socket IIRC. Clean with electric parts cleaner, NOT BRAKE OR CARB CLEANER!!
Old 04-24-2015, 06:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the reply and info SIXSLUG, I'll check it and clean the contact points. I feel bad that I don't know enough about my old beast for as long as I've had her. Got to make her last long enough to tote me to my grave. I want to make some noise on my way out.