24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

VP44 rebuilding

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its up to you 50/50 chance it just needs cleaned out and its ok. But if the psg does have problems and its cutting out could be the IAT sensor under the psg and in that case just core yours out and get a new one I have actually had them cut out on the test stand and they never failed the tests or anything just cut out. I replaced the psg and iat
Old 04-20-2009, 06:54 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
jason thanks for the info...yea, kind of what I was thinking...50/50.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:58 PM

no prob.... i have actually seen that go both ways on a test stand where it intermittenly cuts out under a load..... erase error codes and it was fine others needed a new comp unit.....
Old 04-20-2009, 07:12 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
yea, I could keep driving it the way it is as there's no probs w/no load...hitch up the boat and it starts acting up. As much as I hate to drop a grand at the beginning of summer it's probably better than being stuck on the side of the road when it finally dies. thanks
Old 04-20-2009, 07:44 PM

my dad's been a diesel tech for years and he said sound like a fuel supply issue.....
Old 12-18-2009, 01:17 AM

hey guys check this place out just found it what you guys think??
dieselpumprepairs.com
Old 12-18-2009, 05:38 AM

vp-44 pump rebuild

can you e-mail me with a good rebuilder i understand that not aa parts are replaced on some rebuilds thanks lpayne8034@aol.com
Originally Posted by Bart Timothy
I don't work for an injection shop and I don't work for Bosch. What I know about these pumps comes from 7 years of being in the diesel scene, listening, watching, and trying to figure out things myself. I don't buy into much of the ignorance and pure speculation which abounds on these forums when it comes to VP44s and lift pumps. A few talks with pump rebuilders and Cummins engineers has helped out quite a bit, and spending several hours in Industrial Injection's VP44 room hasn't hurt.

If all you did was go in and clean things up inside the pump, and change out gaskets and seals, put it all back together again, there appearently must not be a problem in rebuilding it yourself. What part the PCU plays in pump calibration when it comes to, say, changing out the distributer assembly, as an example, is an answer which isn't known. The rebuilders may not even know the answer to how dumb the PCU is, and how much programing is needed to tell it about the small variations of the hardware which it controlls. A new PCU may not know anything, and may have to be programmed from the ground up when installed. The rebuilder is usually going to go through a rebuild proceedure taught to him by Bosch.

There are different numbered pump gear keyways which are spacific to individual pumps. The 3 digit keyway number must match the 3 digit number stamped on the pump. When the pump is rebuilt, the test stand software tells the rebuilder which keyway number to use, and that number is stamped on the pump also. Knowing this information says that there are some calibrations which will be out of the hands of a backyard rebuilder.

Another interesting tidbit is the PCU has memory registers which can tell Bosch and its rebuilders all sorts of things about pump operation. For example, the test stand software can tell the rebuilder if a fueling box has been used, even if the the Blue Chip cover was involved.

Thanks for posting your information, because I've learned something from you.
Old 03-30-2014, 01:32 PM

Parts source for VP44

Originally Posted by my3sonsracing
An update if anyone is interested.
I did find parts for this pump - gasket set is $37 and the electronics pak is $374.
There is no magic diaphragm that rips as some people have reported. There are solenoids that control the fuel flow and that is usually the culprit for dead pedal. In addition, the housings simply wear out due to a lubrication problem that Bosch has not fixed. that is why the Lift pump is so important to maintain good positive flow through the injection pump.
There are only a hand full of rebuilders in the US that have spent the $150k to buy the test stand to set up the pump. That is the issue with a do it yourself fix - the electronics have to be programmed on the stand to communicate with the ecm.
I have ordered the gaskets and am going to rip it apart and see what I can do with it. Who knows, maybe I will find a simple fix that the rebuilders don't want us to know about!
I will keep you posted.
Did anyone ever find a source for the VP44 Electronics Pack??
I have found a source in Poland that will rebuild the Electronics for $158 Euros. Problem is I don't have the time as this is my only vehicle. The link to the electronics rebuilder is: http://www.vp44diesel.de/en/price-list
Old 03-31-2014, 08:16 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
The problem isn't getting the electronics, it is doing the calibration required when changing them.

That requires the bench.......
Old 03-31-2014, 11:45 AM

I have heard conflicting arguments on this and am researching.
When you say "The problem isn't getting the electronics" does that mean you know of a source?
Old 03-31-2014, 05:36 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by joeycam
I have heard conflicting arguments on this and am researching.
When you say "The problem isn't getting the electronics" does that mean you know of a source?
No, I confess, I am going by the OP and the guy further down who said they were available.

I would convert mine to a VE if I had one.........
Old 11-08-2015, 07:22 PM

help on pump

I have a newer bd vp44 pump its leaking diesel around where the lines come out of the pump to feed the injectors i was wondering if you knew what kind of bit i need to try to tightenem up or take that end apart and put a new o ring in it its a 5 point but not a traditional torx kinda looks like a flower theres 4 of em to tighten id like to know where i could get a bit to use for this thanks
Old 11-08-2015, 08:44 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Welcome to DTR!

You're gonna be better off starting your own thread instead of posting in an old one.

Also, put in more information about your truck and any modifications you have done. That will help steer you in the right direction and fix your problem.
Old 11-12-2015, 02:36 PM

I think its awesome that the OP was able to repair his VP, however I have yet to see a repaired, rebuilt, or entirely new VP that doesn't suffer from one or more serious flaws that have yet to be re-engineered. Even my Blue Chip pump only last a year and that was a rebuilt one with NEW electronics from Bosch. I hope I don't offend anyone by saying this, but lets face it, these pumps are just plain garbage. I have a hard time justifying time and money to put a bandaid on an injection pump that WILL fail you again and leave you stranded. I realize there are not a lot of options that exist for people who live in places with strict emission testing, but for those of us w/o emission testing, the solution is either a P pump, or a VE. I P pumped my truck after the 5th VP took a dump on me and don't regret it at all. I have not finished the project yet but am very optimistic and excited that the entire project only cost me a few hundred more than a replacement VP from Blue Chip.