24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

VP44 rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VP44 rebuild?

I just bought a 2001 Dodge Ram CTD 4x4 and from reading on here feel that I have an injection pump going bad or at least the lift pump. Symptoms include: Failure to accelerate, with pedal to floor truck idles at 1200rpm, slight blue smoke etc. I just read on here how to scan the codes and I will do that first thing in the morning. Even before reading I was told that the pumps may be shot cause the previous owner had an edge 140hp chip in it and was very eager to get rid of the truck and me not knowing diesels believed his pitch about it only needing a fuel filter to run good.

So on to my question, Is it possible to buy a rebuild kit and fix my existing pump and if not can anyone explain why (kits not available, machining tools not available, electronics in the pump?) What exactly goes wrong in the pump? Is it just a series of screens and O rings that go bad?

Thanks ahead for any replies I get back and I have enjoyed reading all thats on here.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does sound like the VP is toast. A poor filter would cause lack of power, usually under load. A bad filter won't cause "dead pedal", and higher than normal idle. With any luck your below 100K miles and still in warranty by time, or course if it was I imagine the last guy would have had it fixed. Most likely, since you have "dead pedal", your electronics have/are going bad in the pump. From what I hear the equipment required to reman a VP is very expensive, but for the amount of them that take a dump I would think there is money in it. I doubt the Edge had anything to do with it's failure, matter of fact why don't you buy mine so I can upgrade to a bigger/badder box.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just pulled the codes on my truck and the only one that came up was the 1693. Could I just have lift pump failure at this time or is it a good bet the VP is going out. The biggest question I have is if I keep driving the truck will I damage other even more expensive parts in the truck?
Old 08-20-2005, 10:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First off, #1... you have to find out what your lift pump fuel pressure is. Your favorite auto parts store should have a fuel pressure test kit for around $40. If it'll check GM gassers pressure, it'll check yer Cummins...they both use a Schrader Valve. Screw the guage fitting onto the Injector Pump test port, it has a black cap screwed on the test fitting. Start the engine and note the fuel pressure at idle. We can discuss it here.

Mine used to get a dead pedal for several seconds back if I went too fast at the same left turn onto a road I take daily, back in the spring. My lift pump pressure showed good so for the sake of trying SOMETHING, I started keeping the fuel tank level above 1/4 tank then it's just quit getting the dead pedal(???).
I keep it above 1/2 tank now to give it some time to cool before going to the engine again.