24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

VP Dead? Help please before I sink the money LOL!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 11:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VP Dead? Help please before I sink the money LOL!

Well, truck was a little long cranking this morning. Pulled it up the driveway and shut it off. Did a once over on fittings. Went ahead and washed off the front of the motor and down under the VP some (crankcase vent puke) thinking maybe it could have crud on the crank sensor. Washed it all off and it started like ---right now. Like a new one would. Drove it down the road, got it hot and shut it down in the driveway. Started back up with just a few seconds delay. Went to run a few errands about a half hour later and the truck started about the same way with several seconds delay. Parked at a grocery store and handled a phone call for about 5 minutes with the truck idling. Went in and when I came back--------No start. Turns over but nothing. No check engine light but a 1693 code shows up when I check. There are no other codes.

I've done a little more diggin' on the web and I'm thinking maybe the VP is RIP. Any suggestions? Gonna leave it at the store until it cools off and see if that changes anything.

Oh, by the way.....the truck has been a light duty vehicle its whole life. The heaviest thing it has ever towed is a 25 ft camper. I can't say my Pop was religious about fuel filter changes but he didn't ignore it either. I've put one lift pump in it which quit after about a year and just had another one put one about 3 months ago that works fine so far.

Unplugged the lift pump. Truck sputters but doesn't completely fire and run. Plug the LP back in and it just turns over.

VP dead I presume?
Old 05-07-2012, 09:10 AM

VP 44 ck is this -
I learned from chip at blue chip
Unplug the pump yes! start it up..if it does, your good to go. all you will have is idle, but that eliminates pump or no pump
Old 05-07-2012, 07:57 PM

Thanks. Unplugged the pump and it will sort of run......like on one or two cylinders.....or timing out. Code reader said P0252 " injection pump fuel metering control" or something like that. Gonna call Shiver Diesel in Tallahassee but pretty sure its dead.

Really makes me miss my 98 12v...........**** electronics!
Old 05-07-2012, 08:50 PM

You do have fuel in your tank? (for sure)
and not a plugged up exhaust ? (for sure)
I would ck all the EZ stuff 1st...pluged fuel filter?
Old 05-07-2012, 09:01 PM

New LP which still works and the fuel filter is fresh. Tank is nearly full. I've had hot start issues with it for a little while and it persisted even with the new LP installed but wasn't as bad. Got really bad.....like 10 or 12 seconds to start. I checked fittings and degreased the front of the motor and under the pump where all the vent puke gathers and then it fired right up like a new one. Went down the street later to the store and then........dead. No more Wudnn-wudnnn!
Old 05-07-2012, 09:06 PM

New LP which still works and the fuel filter is fresh. Tank is nearly full. I've had hot start issues with it for a little while and it persisted even with the new LP installed but wasn't as bad. Got really bad.....like 10 or 12 seconds to start. I checked fittings and degreased the front of the motor and under the pump where all the vent puke gathers and then it fired right up like a new one. Went down the street later to the store and then........dead. No more Wudnn-wudnnn!
Old 05-07-2012, 09:08 PM

cut you number 5 wire at the pump ..leave a little in case you ever need to hook it up (i never did) you have to lookat the plug, they are all numbered...again chip at blue chip saved the day
it picks up stray voltage and shuts the pump dwn. just a maybe.....and it is not needed
Old 05-09-2012, 09:02 AM

Fuel Level, hot start problem

My fuel tank float went bad the same time my lift pump/IP were going out and I had a hellofatime figuring it all out. Once I finally figured out my tank gage was showing a 1/4 when there was zero fuel it sped up the diagnostics!
I had hard hot starts also when my pump gave it up. I did the lift pump cut out switch for a while, then finally just put in a new pump. gary
Old 05-09-2012, 09:06 AM

to do list
Run a hot jump wire to you lift pump...it helps when changing fuel filter...NO MESS
and you can hear the dam thing run when in doubt