24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Upgrade to medium duty trans.. anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Junkdude
Doesn't matter if you have a brand new truck, certified mechanic on board and a Harvard law degree. DOT wants to stop you for anything and you will get a ticket. Just a cost of doing buissness.

I dont agree with this at all. I have been stopped several times for an inspection and no ticket at all. Sure they tried to find something but didnt. So I disagree.. they are just trying to make sure the roads are safe. There are lots of scumbags out there with unsafe loads that are accidents waiting to happen.. and some that dont know they have issues.. like broken leaf springs.. someone was killed last year because the back of a leaf spring poped out. I have a 24' box truck that has one broke on it.. it can happen and you dont even know it until you look.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by safehaul
I dont agree with this at all. I have been stopped several times for an inspection and no ticket at all. Sure they tried to find something but didnt. So I disagree.. they are just trying to make sure the roads are safe. There are lots of scumbags out there with unsafe loads that are accidents waiting to happen.. and some that dont know they have issues.. like broken leaf springs.. someone was killed last year because the back of a leaf spring poped out. I have a 24' box truck that has one broke on it.. it can happen and you dont even know it until you look.
I agree with that 100%. Sure there might be some enforcement officers that are out there being jerks but for the most part they are just doing their job. I got pulled right off the freeway once with a rig I took out of the yard that was already loaded. Turned out I was one axle shy for the weight. They then did a thorough inspection of every nut and bolt on it. Found a couple loose huck bolts on the fifth wheel. They were going to red line the rig right there and make us legalize the weight. After some talking and calling my dispatcher they let me take it to our yard not far away, pump the load off and take it directly to our shop. Another time I got pulled just as I left a mill. Officer went through the rig, checked everything, especially the brakes, and said I could go, have a nice evening. I asked if he was waiting specifically for me or if if I was just the lucky one? Said I was just the lucky one that happened to come out the gate.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:10 AM

did ya ever stop and wonder wht larger vehicles have much bigger brake components?
sure, you may not be breaking any laws, and you are risking your driver and anyone else on the road by towing a load that heavy and not having the braking capacity to stop the load in a emergency situation.
sure, the truck may get the load moving and carry it with no problem, but it is getting it to stop that alot of people are forgetting.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by putzer
did ya ever stop and wonder wht larger vehicles have much bigger brake components?
sure, you may not be breaking any laws, and you are risking your driver and anyone else on the road by towing a load that heavy and not having the braking capacity to stop the load in a emergency situation.
sure, the truck may get the load moving and carry it with no problem, but it is getting it to stop that alot of people are forgetting.
Ahhhh... sorry to disagree with you but not only are my brakes rated for what I do but furthermore MANY 18 wheelers do NOT have their brakes adjusted properly.. mine auto adjust as do most other trailers of my type since we almost all run hydraulic brake systems. I run huge 4 wheel brakes on my trailer that can handle double my trailer GVWR.. which I dont even come close to running. Most 3-4 car traulers like mine have very good brakes.. as long as they are hydraulic type.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:28 PM
DTR's Cow Boss

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Man is it me or what this thread has spiraled from the core subject. I would like too see this thing get back too the top of a med duty tranny swap not a who can piddle in who's cheerios about what brakes are doing.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:43 AM

Back on Track

I'm on the process of dumping my NV5600--just a pile of rxpensive junk.

To All Gearheads,

Depending on your gear ratios, the later model FS or FSO Fuller 5 and 6 speeds will work. Weight including the bell housing is about the same.

You will need to change out the flywhell housing to a Cummins SAE#2, 14" flywheel and 14" clutch and work out the clutch release bearing as most bellgousings are the "pull" type. You will also require an 28MT starter

There are deals out there, I picked up a brand new FO-8406A-AW3 for $152.50 on Ebay. I have photos posted at http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98...-fuller-2.html.

Since my Dodge is a long bed with 4 X 4, I'm working on the adapter too. Have a CAD drawing posted. I want to endup with the same length as I have now so I won't be changing driveshafts.

The 7 speed used by IHC weighs 360 lbs plus another 60 lbs for the bell housing--about the same as the Fuller FS or the NV5600.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by DodgeCowboy
Man is it me or what this thread has spiraled from the core subject. I would like too see this thing get back too the top of a med duty tranny swap not a who can piddle in who's cheerios about what brakes are doing.
Agreed.. some people just like to cause trouble...
FWIW.. 10k on the new trans running in 4th.. no problems.. still pulling right around 26k.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by chansey
I'm on the process of dumping my NV5600--just a pile of rxpensive junk.

To All Gearheads,

Depending on your gear ratios, the later model FS or FSO Fuller 5 and 6 speeds will work. Weight including the bell housing is about the same.

You will need to change out the flywhell housing to a Cummins SAE#2, 14" flywheel and 14" clutch and work out the clutch release bearing as most bellgousings are the "pull" type. You will also require an 28MT starter

There are deals out there, I picked up a brand new FO-8406A-AW3 for $152.50 on Ebay. I have photos posted at http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98...-fuller-2.html.

Since my Dodge is a long bed with 4 X 4, I'm working on the adapter too. Have a CAD drawing posted. I want to endup with the same length as I have now so I won't be changing driveshafts.

The 7 speed used by IHC weighs 360 lbs plus another 60 lbs for the bell housing--about the same as the Fuller FS or the NV5600.

Whats your rear ratio and what gear were you pulling with? Also, whats your max weight?
Old 04-28-2008, 03:12 AM

All Geared Up

The truck is a 4 X 4 and has 4:10's, that's why I need the OD.

I generally pull a 40' goose neck trailer and a loader, Case 1155E that weighs about 33,000. Before someone has a hissie about over-loaded, keep in mind that the trailer is rated a 28,900 and with the weight distributed just slightly forward of the trailer axles, the truck and trailer are fine--YES it is over-gross. The truck pulls well up hills and will cruise at 70 mph loaded. Have had three (3) NV5600 failures--all in the 5-6th area--lack of lubrication.

I'm dumping the NV5600 for a Fuller 6 speed-OD (FO-8406AW3) and a 14" flywheel and clutch. I'll make an adapter & keep the T-case married to the tranny.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:38 AM

I was wondering how much oil and what kind you have been running. I just wanted to compare with what I do and see later down the road if what is in mine makes a difference.

Thanks,
Robbie.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:10 PM

The truck is a 4 X 4 and has 4:10's, that's why I need the OD.

I generally pull a 40' goose neck trailer and a loader, Case 1155E that weighs about 33,000. Before someone has a hissie about over-loaded, keep in mind that the trailer is rated a 28,900 and with the weight distributed just slightly forward of the trailer axles, the truck and trailer are fine--YES it is over-gross. The truck pulls well up hills and will cruise at 70 mph loaded. Have had three (3) NV5600 failures--all in the 5-6th area--lack of lubrication.

I'm dumping the NV5600 for a Fuller 6 speed-OD (FO-8406AW3) and a 14" flywheel and clutch. I'll make an adapter & keep the T-case married to the tranny.

Well good luck to ya.. still pulling in 4th and not looking back.. we went with larger tires in the rear and bought 250 rpm.. perfect.

I think we have put on about 30k on this trans so far..

From what I can tell you are pulling WAY too much weight for that trans. Its rated for about 25k. Your plan sounds right to me.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:19 PM

NV5600 Swapped out for a Fuller Trans

Gear Heads,

Finally got the Fuller FSO6406 installed in my 01 Dodge 3500. Pics and parts list at http://www.sanco-bg.com/Conversion_NV5600.htm

14" clutch and "pull" type hydraulic actuator

http://www.sanco-bg.com/Actuator%20M...et-2_small.JPG
Old 10-29-2008, 12:29 AM
Banned

Just have to throw in the fact that nowadays most air brake equipped trucks, whether it be a class 7 or 8 have AUTOMATIC slack adjusters on their brakes. What I allways find amusing about any talk of weighing "alot" on here, Is the talk of 25k to 30k being "alot". But after moving a Hitachi ex750 several times I guess my perspective is different. Gross out around 170K. Not to even mention the ex1800 that is 8 different overweight loads to move. Width ALLWAYS bothers me more than weight.

Originally Posted by safehaul
Ahhhh... sorry to disagree with you but not only are my brakes rated for what I do but furthermore MANY 18 wheelers do NOT have their brakes adjusted properly.. mine auto adjust as do most other trailers of my type since we almost all run hydraulic brake systems. I run huge 4 wheel brakes on my trailer that can handle double my trailer GVWR.. which I dont even come close to running. Most 3-4 car traulers like mine have very good brakes.. as long as they are hydraulic type.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:58 PM

The NV5600 has been a nightmare for me as well and I absolutely refused to replace it again after three (3) failures.

added pics to web site at NV5600 Conversion to Fuller Tran and updated the parts list.

Cross Member & FSO6406A

Actuator Bracket & Volvo Slave Clutch Actuator

I have pictures and a parts list at http://www.sanco-bg.com/Conversion_NV5600.htm on the process. I will be using the truck in 2WD until I can work out the attachment of the transfer case. I was going to fabricate an adapter until I found a rear bearing retainer that had a mating surface that had been used by Fuller to mount an emergency driveline brake. Some fab is still required, but not the precision required to preload the main output shaft bearing.

I had purchased a new unused FO-8406ASW on Ebay for $152.50 that was intended for a 2006 Navistar. It has a 2" X 14 tooth input shaft and was unable to locate a clutch. I will be converting this trans into a FSO-8406A by replacing the input shaft and counter shaft mating gear. I will use this trans as the mockup for the 4 X 4 version since I have the FSO-6406A and the FO-8406ASW to work with. Total cost is $2,698.00 for two complete transmission conversion packages (need a 5.9 flywheel to be complete on FO unit)

This is the unit I finally selected as having the most potential for mating the transfer case on the 4 X 4 version. The retainer cost $176 plus freight. Still have to work out the spline and flange drive for this beast.

When mated, it will require a transfer case cross member support and drive shaft modifications.

The yoke on the Fuller is a 38 tooth 1710 series and there are splined flange yokes that will fit the Fuller and adapt to the 1550 series driveline on the Dodge. When this is all worked out, I will post the parts on Conversion Parts List.

I believe this was the intent of the thread, but we've been talking CDL, brakes, GVW and name calling--oh well. I posted just in case anyone ihas any intertest.

Everything so far has been off the shelf parts. If anyone is planning the 4 X 4 conversion, I suggest that you try and locate the bearing retainer. It was used with the driveline emergency brake on Sterling, Ford and Kodiac, late 1980's to mid 90's. The application was for the FS-6106 and FS-8206. Spicer could have also used this retainer. There have to be some laying around in tranny shops and junk yards. :hyper::hyper:
Old 11-16-2008, 05:55 PM

The NV5600 has been a nightmare for me as well and I absolutely refused to replace it again after three (3) failures.

added pics to web site at NV5600 Conversion to Fuller Tran and updated the parts list.

Cross Member & FSO6406A

Actuator Bracket & Volvo Slave Clutch Actuator

I have pictures and a parts list at http://www.sanco-bg.com/Conversion_NV5600.htm on the process. I will be using the truck in 2WD until I can work out the attachment of the transfer case. I was going to fabricate an adapter until I found a rear bearing retainer that had a mating surface that had been used by Fuller to mount an emergency driveline brake. Some fab is still required, but not the precision required to preload the main output shaft bearing.

I had purchased a new unused FO-8406ASW on Ebay for $152.50 that was intended for a 2006 Navistar. It has a 2" X 14 tooth input shaft and was unable to locate a clutch. I will be converting this trans into a FSO-8406A by replacing the input shaft and counter shaft mating gear. I will use this trans as the mockup for the 4 X 4 version since I have the FSO-6406A and the FO-8406ASW to work with. Total cost is $2,698.00 for two complete transmission conversion packages (need a 5.9 flywheel to be complete on FO unit)

This is the unit I finally selected as having the most potential for mating the transfer case on the 4 X 4 version. The retainer cost $176 plus freight. Still have to work out the spline and flange drive for this beast.

When mated, it will require a transfer case cross member support and drive shaft modifications.

The yoke on the Fuller is a 38 tooth 1710 series and there are splined flange yokes that will fit the Fuller and adapt to the 1550 series driveline on the Dodge. When this is all worked out, I will post the parts on Conversion Parts List.

I believe this was the intent of the thread, but we've been talking CDL, brakes, GVW and name calling--oh well. I posted just in case anyone ihas any intertest.
. If anyone is planning the 4 X 4 conversion, I suggest that you try and locate the bearing retainer. It was used with the driveline emergency brake on Sterling, Ford and Kodiac, late 1980's to mid 90's. The application was for the FS-6106 and FS-8206. Spicer could have also used this retainer. There
Everything so far has been off the shelf partshave to be some laying around in tranny shops and junk yards. :hyper::hyper:

What I want to know, when you are done, is would you have been better off going to a bigger truck. Seems like there are plenty of cheap freightliners out there with a cummins in it. I think if I were to do it all over (by the way I shut down due to losing my driver and being harrased by state troopers who literally told me they would break the law and write me up even though I am abiding by federal law) I would just get myself a mid size truck.

I have a feeling they are gonna crack down and force fuel tax on small trucks anyway.. just a matter of time.

Anyway.. hope it goes well but I think everyone would be interested to know if it was worth the trouble.. trucks are DIRT cheap right now which is working against you.

Quick Reply: Upgrade to medium duty trans.. anyone?