24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Update on my Tranny.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2003, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update on my Tranny.....

I got fed up trying to find a service center that knew anything except "we can fix it". I bought the haynes manual, read the instructions, borrowed a inch/lbs torque wrench from a local machine shop and did the filter/gasket/service my self. Took about an hour as it was my first time adjusting bands. I thought it went very easy, the rear bands were in need of asjustment, there is a line on the metal that will line up with the adjacent piece when the torque is correct. Before I adjusted it it was around 1/32 off center and loose to the touch. My magnet was full of crap, dirt,sludge and fine metal particles. It took 6 quarts to get back to the half way mark on the stick. The front bands were difficult to get to, there is not much room around the linkages and all. Overall a preety easy job, I did notice a difference in how much more quickly it shifts to 2nd from 1st, before it kinda drug around getting into second gear. I did not go with a synthetic fluid I chose Havoline ATF+ like the manual advised. Maybe next time I will try synthetic. BTW it is a 47re, I took the number off the side and called NAPA they figured it out for me. Thanks to all who helped me with the tranny service advise.
Old 04-29-2003, 05:51 PM

Re:Update on my Tranny.....

That's great thing you done there, gotta be a money saver doing it yourself.<br><br>I am fixen to do the same thing to my new toy. It has 48650 miles and has never been changed (talked to previous owner yesterday). Do you feel the Haynes manual explained the procedure well enough? I just bought one.<br><br>It's always puzzled me as to why they don't put a drain plug on A.T.'s<br><br>Sned.
Old 04-29-2003, 10:23 PM

The Haynes explains it very well, the pics could use some updating they are not the pics of my 47re. The info you need is on 3 different pages. The capacity, torque and instructions are in 3 different sections. Anyway other than that it was easy to do. A hand tool list would be nice too. I used a snap on inch/lb torque (borrowed), my own torx socket set, 15mm socket, 3/8 ratchet, 3/8 torque wrench in ft/lbs, 3/8 to 1/4 socket adapter and 19mm and 15mm open end/box wrench, standard 5/16 socket to adjust the rear bands. (this is where you need the socket adapter) I think a t20 or 25 screwdriver to remove the filter screws. One thing the manual does not mention is you must adjust rear bands with filter out or else there is no room to get torque wrench and locking nut wrench in. I think that was all to it.
Old 04-30-2003, 01:56 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts

dcwm: I think that they left out the drain plug because the manual states that you have to change fluid and filter. With a plug lots of shops would just drain the pan and refill. You wouldn't know about sludge and shavings in the tranny. I know it's a PIA to remove the full pan but I can understand the engineers.<br>Small hint- when you have the filter off you can loosen the bolts holding the vb and get much more fluid out of the tranny (with a stock one) and on some aftermarket TCs there is a drainplug. <br><br>AlpineRAM
Old 04-30-2003, 09:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

w4xtc! Get you a Mag Hytec pan with a drain plug and <br>drain fluid before dropping pan sure does make it nice.
Old 04-30-2003, 11:20 AM

What is the normal service interval on the 47re. I tow my 7700# camper about once a month and want to make sure I maintain the tranny. I thought I read somewhere it is every 30,000 miles. I currently have about 25k on the clock will probably need to change mine soon to keep the 47re working well.<br><br>
Old 04-30-2003, 03:32 PM

Look at the service schedule in your manual that came with the truck. If you tow alot, I would change the fluid, filter and adjust bands probably once a year. I thought the manual said 30K for the first one and every 15K after that for the &quot;severe use schedule.&quot;

Tony

BTW -- Tech Authority is the BEST place to get a manual for your truck!
Old 04-30-2003, 04:22 PM

[quote author=AlpineRAM link=board=4;threadid=14187;start=0#133482 date=1051685784]<br>dcwm: I think that they left out the drain plug because the manual states that you have to change fluid and filter. With a plug lots of shops would just drain the pan and refill. AlpineRAM<br>[/quote]<br><br>Yea, I'm sure that's the reason but accountabilty needs to come into play there I would think. Oh well, not a big deal, just one of them things for me to b*tch about <br><br>I thought about welding an 0-let on but may just go and buy me a pan, the heat would probably warp it.<br><br>Sned
Old 05-01-2003, 09:36 AM

You can buy a drain plug kit at Kragen (or probably any auto parts store) for $3. Easy install. No more mess.<br><br>Russ