24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

"Update" Bad News....Trying to troubleshoot

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Update" Bad News....Trying to troubleshoot

Ok here it is.. we have narrowed it down to not being a fuel problem well as far as we can figure out. we think its a sensor that controls the engine or something because we ran a different pump and the truck still did the same thing and we had a guy at the cummins dealer we drove to today to ask advice about it and they said its not a miss its a surge and it does it the most at 1100rpms. also since this problem has started my cruise control surges about 5mph +/-. anyone have any tech info or knowledge of what sensor it could be? It did the surging worse before i rest the apps and went over the ground wires to check them? Any one have any ideas on how to test some of these sensors to check if it is working or not??
Old 06-10-2006, 08:58 AM

ok... here it is i dropped in and updating the situation. i reset the apps last night and what you know the truck runs like a charm again no signs of any problems so i drive it to friends to kick back and relax the night away and had no problems on the way there......32.6 miles i droove. then i start heading back about 2 miles from my house it does it again.... i start to curse at the truck and i pull over to listen to the pumpand fass system and all sounds normal i drive home and rev the rpms to 1100 and it starts to do it again..... it seems to me reseting the apps makes it unlearn the problem and takes a few miles to relearn it? anyone have any ideas on how to test the apps?
Old 06-10-2006, 01:40 PM

Not to sound like a jerk but I think you have found your problem, the APPS. They are known to go bad and if resetting it gives a short term fix then I think you would want to change it. My truck experienced similar problems to yours while it was still under warranty and it took five trips to the dealer to figure it out. Not until the final trip was the check engine light on then they replaced the sensor which fixed everything. Eric
Old 06-11-2006, 10:22 AM

well i wish there was a way of testing the apps to see if dead spots like the older model apps "tps" thats a lot of money im gambling