24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Unsure about EGT guidelines

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unsure about EGT guidelines

I just need some clarification on the whole EGT thing. When someone says that ~1250 is the max safe temp, is that &quot;sustained&quot; temp? And by &quot;sustained&quot; I mean holding that temp for more than a few seconds. <br><br>On my daily commute I hit 1000 degrees climbing a 7% grade. That's running empty, I haven't towed my trailer yet, but when I do there is a 6% grade that is 9 miles long in my path. If I'm hitting 1000 empty, it's pretty safe to say I'll surpass the 1K mark while towing, and it will be for a rather significant amount of time.<br><br>Thanks-
Old 05-21-2003, 04:10 PM
Banned

Re:Unsure about EGT guidelines

There are a couple of guys on here that peg their EGT gauges going down the 1/4 mile and their engines are fine. Now I wouldn't recommend that. I think you could hold 1250-1300 without issues. Anything above that and I would back off. I'd try to keep it below 1250 if I was you just to be safe. Maybe somebody else can chime in with better info.
Old 05-22-2003, 12:24 AM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts

That sounds about right. I have heard that the Cummins can run 1300* or 1350* (cant remember) all day, but I wouldnt run any higher that 1250* just for insurance. <br>
On my daily commute I hit 1000 degrees climbing a 7% grade. That's running empty, I haven't towed my trailer yet, but when I do there is a 6% grade that is 9 miles long in my path. If I'm hitting 1000 empty, it's pretty safe to say I'll surpass the 1K mark while towing, and it will be for a rather significant amount of time.
Dont worry. You will be surprised how cool these trucks run when towing. When you tow the turbo is really working pushing out a lot of heat. High EGT's are usually from BIG power mods or really BIG loads.
Old 05-22-2003, 12:34 AM

1250* all day<br>1350* for 1 minute<br>1400 no longer than 15 seconds.<br><br>Atleast that's how I remeber a Cummins sheet saying it.<br><br>Hope this helps.<br><br>BTW, I've heldt my truck at 1400* for about 1-minute, and the biggest thing I noticed was my Water temp was coming up FAST.<br><br>Merrick Cummings Jr
Old 05-23-2003, 03:16 PM

I'm sorry, What does the acronym for EGT stand for???
Old 05-23-2003, 03:20 PM

[quote author=MYTRNx3 link=board=4;threadid=15000;start=0#141451 date=1053720990]<br>I'm sorry, What does the acronym for EGT stand for???<br>[/quote]<br><br>Exhaust Gas Temperature.
Old 05-23-2003, 03:27 PM

Sank you vry much
Old 06-05-2003, 03:50 PM

I thought it ment Extra G-force in the Turbo. Thats why I like reading this site knowlege is Torbo POWER. OF
Old 06-05-2003, 04:21 PM

just another comment here for those who split hairs. The K type thermocouples measure the temperature difference between the hot end and the cold end. If the &quot;cold end&quot; of the thermocouple lead is under the hood you just have to remember that what the meter reads may assume that the cold end of the thermocouple is at room temperature. your 1250 degrees might actually be closer to 1300.
Old 06-05-2003, 07:55 PM

Yes that is a hair not needed to be split. The temperature the cold end is getting is sitting on top of a very hot manifold or pipe. Anyway it doesnt get its readings by actually feeling the temperature. The thermocoupler produces a thermoelectric current when its heated. That current is sent to the gauge. Doesnt matter what room temp is.
Old 06-06-2003, 12:08 PM

[quote author=KATOOM link=board=4;threadid=15000;start=0#146241 date=1054860906]<br>Yes that is a hair not needed to be split. <br>[/quote]<br>that just depends on how accurate you think your pyro is and how close to the edge you want to take things. 30 degrees is splitting hairs, but its good to know. Also we might be talking about different kinds of pyrometers too. I'm talking about ones using thermocouples that have a few feet of cable on them. they work on the principle of dissmilar metals and measure the temperature difference between two points.<br>
<br>The temperature the cold end is getting is sitting on top of a very hot manifold or pipe. <br>
<br>not for the thermocouples I'm talking about -- such as what you would find on a Westach unit. The cold end is a few feet away from the sensor end at the end of the supplied cable. thats where the &quot;other&quot; junction is. The first junction is inside your manifold. the second is outside the manifold at the end of the thermocouple wires.<br>
<br>Anyway it doesnt get its readings by actually feeling the temperature. <br>
<br>well, in a matter of speaking, yes it does. the dissimilar metal junction has specific physical properties and predictable behaviors in the presence of high temperatures. Thats the job of the thermocouple itself -- to feel the temperature. The EGT guage or pyrometer processes this voltage produced by the thermocouple and makes the meter face change.<br>
<br>The thermocoupler produces a thermoelectric current when its heated. That current is sent to the gauge. Doesnt matter what room temp is.<br>
<br>Thermocouples (the thing you stick into the manifold) produce a voltage, not a current. they have very very little current capability. Again, we may be talking about a different type of measurement system. the thermocouples I'm talking about produce a voltage that has to be measured, amplified, or in some cases converted to a current. maybe you are confusing the term &quot;thermocouple&quot; with &quot;pyrometer&quot;. The latter is a general term applied to measuring very high temperatures. the former is a very specific physical configuration of two dissimilar metals which, when heated, produce a voltage.<br><br>Again, the thermocouple voltage represents a temperature difference between one junction and a reference junction. For example, the Westach EGT guage is calibrated for a reference junction temperature of 70 degrees -- assuming that the reference junction will be located inside the cab. <br><br>
Old 06-06-2003, 12:30 PM

Katoom, I have to agree. I can hit 1000f just going thru the gears empty. But when your are loaded and the boost stays up, it takes a heavy foot to keep the temp up there.<br>my 0.02
Old 06-06-2003, 04:51 PM

Thermocouples (the thing you stick into the manifold) produce a voltage, not a current. they have very very little current capability. Again, we may be talking about a different type of measurement system. the thermocouples I'm talking about produce a voltage that has to be measured, amplified, or in some cases converted to a current. maybe you are confusing the term &quot;thermocouple&quot; with &quot;pyrometer&quot;. The latter is a general term applied to measuring very high temperatures. the former is a very specific physical configuration of two dissimilar metals which, when heated, produce a voltage.
<br>I know quite well the difference between the two and the current I was speaking of is in millivolts. This current is produced by the copper wire and the chromealum when the two are heated (excited). Very small amount of current but non the less it there. This is how a K thermocouple works. Then the millivolt current is read by the gauge in millivolts. <br><br>
Again, the thermocouple voltage represents a temperature difference between one junction and a reference junction. For example, the Westach EGT guage is calibrated for a reference junction temperature of 70 degrees -- assuming that the reference junction will be located inside the cab.
<br>This doesnt make any sence to me because giving what you just said, if the cab temps are not 70* then the gauge is innacurate? What if the climate doesnt ever get that hot or in the summer when its much hotter than that? Thats sounds like it would cause problems or you didnt explain it right.<br><br>
not for the thermocouples I'm talking about -- such as what you would find on a Westach unit. The cold end is a few feet away from the sensor end at the end of the supplied cable. thats where the &quot;other&quot; junction is. The first junction is inside your manifold. the second is outside the manifold at the end of the thermocouple wires.
<br>I was under the impression that all temp readings where coming from the tip of the thermocouple. That why placement is so important. It must be right in the middle of the exhaust flow.
Old 06-07-2003, 07:25 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

[quote author=MYTRNx3 link=board=4;threadid=15000;start=0#141455 date=1053721649]<br>Sank you vry much<br>what have you been smoking? <br>EGT means Extra Gas Time[/quote]
Old 06-07-2003, 07:39 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

who cares about the small stuff, all we know is the the guage says 1000 degrees . so what!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Unsure about EGT guidelines