24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Two Stroke Oil Update

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two Stroke Oil Update

Today I got back from a 1600 mile round trip to New Mexico, and ran the 2 stroke oil the whole way. Two fill-ups were around 36 - 37 gal and I added 16 oz each time. Last time was only 18 gal, so didn't add any. In addition to being a lot quieter, I got a steady 12.7 mpg, up from 10.something a couple of weeks ago. I'm pretty well convinced, and will keep using it.

BTW, I figured out the correction for my 19.5" tires - the GPS reads 64 mph at an indicated 60 on the speedo. Works out to 13.5 mpg, which pleases me just fine. At 70 mph, I'm turning about 1800+ rpm. Just right.

Lar.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:53 PM

Doesn't look like this posted. I'll try it again. This makes twice in 2 weeks. Has this happened to anyone else ??

Lar.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:00 PM
Banned

it worked, i use 2-3 quarts per fillup, it is the best, alot quieter.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:58 PM

Does the money you save in extra mileage equal out the expense of the oil? I tried some fuel additive that supposed to increase mileage, cetane rating, blah blah blah. $20/litre, I'd need to get an extra 60 km each tank to break even. I ended up getting worse mileage.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:58 PM
Banned

Mine is quieter(as quiet as 24v can be ), runs smoother, mileage is just slightly better, and most of all better protection to VP-44. I was convinced a long time ago from my troubles years ago with the 6.2L GM diesel, and the problems then with the Roosamaster rotary pumps(both owning and working on them), and switch to lower quality diesel also at that time.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:51 PM

It's protection for the Inj Pump, Tate - any mileage increase is a bonus.

How long to amortize a replacement VP44 - how many many miles?

Peace of mind? Priceless...................
Old 10-21-2006, 12:18 AM

Like the man said...........VP44. The mileage increase is a bonus. Anything that cuts the noise down that much has to be doing something good in there.

Lar.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm just curious

Is it better to use synthetic or dino 2 stroke oil?

Rick
Old 10-21-2006, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by runamuk
Is it better to use synthetic or dino 2 stroke oil?

Rick

dino is the way to go , synthetic is made to with stand heat and not burn.
tc-w 3 from walmart is what is run, about $8.xx a gal.

dieselfan.
Old 10-21-2006, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by dieselfan
dino is the way to go , synthetic is made to with stand heat and not burn.
tc-w 3 from walmart is what is run, about $8.xx a gal.

dieselfan.

Are you saying that synthetic 2-stroke oil is made to NOT burn? Where does it go then?

I apologize if everyone disagrees, but I personnally don't believe that any of these additives are necessary. All diesel fuel has additive packages mixed in already, and yes, more can't HURT but at what cost? These additives are expensive.

Has anyone seen research that VPs have been failing due to lack of lubrication or are there other factors?

Just my $.02 worth.
Old 10-21-2006, 07:23 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
The fact that additives are expensive contradicts the statement that most distributors will use them to the benefit of the consumer.
With the introduction of ULS diesel fuel, some fleet managers are reporting failing fuel injection components due to the reduction in lubricity.
Do what ever helps you sleep at night.
As for my truck.......Stanadyne PF every fillup.

I haven't tried 2-stroke oil, as there are great products already in the marketplace designed specifically as a diesel fuel additive.

Edit:
Found this 'Googling" for ULSD Lubricity

http://www.cleanairfleets.org/altfuels.html
Ultra-Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD)
Ultra-low sulfur diesel (ULSD) is diesel fuel that has had the sulfur content reduced from approximately 500 parts per million (ppm) sulfur to 15 ppm sulfur. This cleaner diesel fuel will be available nationwide in 2006 before new diesel vehicles are introduced to meet the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) 2007 emissions standards. These 2007 standards require significant emissions reductions in heavy-duty diesel trucks and buses, which will be accomplished through the use of after-market equipment, such as particulate filters and oxidation catalysts. In order to achieve the greatest emissions reductions, ULSD must be utilized. This fuel can be used in all diesel engines with little or no modification to the engine or fuel system.
The primary benefit of using ULSD is emissions reductions. Using ULSD fuel without particulate filters or oxidation catalysts could provide up to a 13 percent reduction in particulate matter (PM), a 13 percent reduction in hydrocarbons (HC), a 6 percent reduction in carbon monoxide (CO), and a 3 percent reduction in nitrogen oxide (NOx). If ULSD is used with particulate filters or oxidation catalysts, the reductions are 20 – 80 percent in PM, 90 percent in HC, 90 percent in CO, and 15 – 20 percent in NOx.
There are some potential drawbacks to using ULSD fuel. These drawbacks include cost, availability, lubricity, and cold flow properties. At this time, the cost of ULSD is difficult to estimate due to the fact it is not available in Colorado. EPA estimates “that when fully implemented the sulfur reduction requirement will increase the cost of producing and distributing diesel fuel by about five cents per gallon.” Other sources indicate this cost per gallon will be higher. This increased cost is due to additional refining costs to remove the sulfur from the fuel. Another issue hindering the widespread use of ULSD at this time is the availability of the fuel. Currently the fuel is available in limited parts of the country, primarily on the east coast. At this time, the fuel is not available in Colorado.
The process used to refine ULSD also results in a loss of lubricity, which could potentially result fuel system component wear. However, additives or blending ULSD with biodiesel increases the lubricity of ULSD. Puget Sound Clean Cities reports that they have not encountered any problems with ULSD when properly formulated with additives or biodiesel. Other potential issues with ULSD are the cold flow properties. In cold weather, the cloud point of ULSD is higher than conventional diesel. Therefore, ULSD may require added precautions, such as additives or heated storage tanks, when the ambient temperature gets very low.
If, and it's a HUGE if, the distributors don't go the cheap route and 'forget' to add the lubricity, or cold weather additive package we shouldn't see too many problems with ULSD.
Old 10-21-2006, 07:46 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Tate
Does the money you save in extra mileage equal out the expense of the oil? I tried some fuel additive that supposed to increase mileage, cetane rating, blah blah blah. $20/litre, I'd need to get an extra 60 km each tank to break even. I ended up getting worse mileage.
20.00 per liter? That is expensive stuff! That equals roughly 80.00 per gallon. What is it?
Old 10-21-2006, 07:58 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
I get Stanadyne PF for ~$149 for 5 gallons.
That breaks down to ~$30 gallon, or ~$1.90 per 8 oz dose.
Old 10-21-2006, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by amartinson
Are you saying that synthetic 2-stroke oil is made to NOT burn? Where does it go then?

I apologize if everyone disagrees, but I personnally don't believe that any of these additives are necessary. All diesel fuel has additive packages mixed in already, and yes, more can't HURT but at what cost? These additives are expensive.

Has anyone seen research that VPs have been failing due to lack of lubrication or are there other factors?

Just my $.02 worth.
oops, i was thinking of synthetic motor oil for automobiles.
but i read somewhere not to run synthetic in the tank for either one, b/c of the additives in them.

dieselfan.
Old 10-21-2006, 08:57 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by dieselfan
oops, i was thinking of synthetic motor oil for automobiles.
but i read somewhere not to run synthetic in the tank for either one, b/c of the additives in them.

dieselfan.
i have been running a synthetic blend by evinrude with no problems at 170000 miles

Quick Reply: Two Stroke Oil Update