24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Turbo boost pressure help????

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2003, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo boost pressure help????

I searched the archives for a stock max boost pressure. I am only getting 18 lbs of boost. I put a spa digital gauge in and was expecting higher numbers. Can I increase the boost somehow? I read about a elbow but I do not know where it would go or how to put it on. As far as the truck goes it is a 99 24v with 59k miles on it, I have a k and n filter and that is all I have done to the truck. I would like to do some mods but do not have a ton of cash to spend. Are there any tricks that are cheap to increase hp and boost?
Old 04-27-2003, 10:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Turbo boost pressure help????

That sounds about right for stock. After installing an Edge EZ with the boost elbow, mine went to about 24 (if I remember correctly), and after adding injectors, it went up to 30 lbs. <br><br>The boost elbow is located on the turbos housing, and there is a small piece of hose between it and the wastegate diaphragm. Some turbos have a hard line, so you cannot easily add a boost elbow. The replacement boost elbow has a small bleed hole so the diaphragm that actuates the waste gate has a lower pressure applied to it, thereby allowing a higher boost before the wastegate opens. The way I understand it, the problem is if you get too much boost, an overboost condition may be detected by the ECM, and it will respond by setting a DTC (check engine light) and de-fuel, eliminating any gain you might have had. You need to have a boost fooler or fueling box to take advantage of the higher boost. I don't know how much boost you can get with stock injectors and just a boost fooler. I suspect it's not much.<br><br>This subject has been discussed before, if you search the forums, you can learn a lot.<br>