24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

turbo

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turbo

i think my turbo went out, coming home from work some, i noticed some white smoke, even more when i put some throttle to it, gauge reading 0, i removed air hose, vanes are turning but noticed it has a wobble to it, anyone have a reccomendation on a replacement, i have a diablo power puck on it that came with the truck, is there one that has a little extra instead of the holset thats on it
Old 04-14-2015, 06:19 AM

usually if you had no boost would create alot of black smoke but Could be a bad turbo but check out some stuff.
the shaft will have and normal to have some play without the blades hitting the walls. if there are not scuffs or seen damage. Also being black is normal on a stock high mile turbo if the Air filters are not changed or you use a oiled type of air filter like k/n etc. to much oil can collect that crud. if you see no seeping oil or oil collecting in the intercooler tube on the turbo side then chances are Turbo is not leaking and good.

I'm posting this just for a good FYI for all and not saying you dont know this but maybe it may help. Also hows your Fuel pressure? do you have a fuel pressure Gauge? Any Codes on the Truck? you can have codes without a Engine Cel coming up on Dash.

SMOKE COLOR

Basically there are 3 types of smoke emitted from a diesel engine: black, blue and white.

Black smoke:

Black smoke is the most common emitted from diesel engines and indicates incomplete combustion of the fuel. Black smoke causes can vary widely and include ..
· Incorrect fuel injection timing
· Dirty or worn fuel injectors
· Over fuelling
· Faulty turbocharger, or turbo lag
· Faulty or dirty exhaust gas recycling (EGR) system
· Incorrect valve clearance
· Incorrect fuel to air ratio
· Dirty or restricted air cleaner systems
· Over loading the engine
· Poor fuel quality
· Cool operating temperatures
· High altitude operation
· Excessive carbon build-up in combustion and exhaust spaces

Black smoke can occur across the entire operating range, but is usually worst under full power, or during the lag before the turbocharger boosts air supply to match the fuel usage such as in the early stages of acceleration and during gear changes. Moderate turbo lag smoke is acceptable; otherwise black smoke should be hardly visible in a correctly running engine.

Blue smoke:

Blue smoke is caused by engine lubricating oil burning. The oil can enter the combustion chamber from several sources including:

· Worn valve guides, or seals
· Cylinder &/or piston ring wear
· Cylinder glaze
· Piston ring sticking
· Incorrect grade of oil .. too thin and getting past rings, or valves guides
· Fuel dilution of the oil, making it too thin.

Blue smoke is often evident at cold start, which can reflect reduced oil control due to carbon fouling deposits around the piston rings and/or cylinder glaze. Blue smoke should not be evident at any stage.
An engine may burn oil without the evidence of blue smoke, because good compression burns oil quite cleanly, however, it is not acceptable for any new engine, or engine in good internal condition to burn large amounts of lubricating oil.

White smoke:

White smoke is caused by raw, un-burnt fuel passing into the exhaust stream. Common causes include:
· Incorrect fuel injection timing
· Defective fuel injectors
· Low cylinder compression

Low cylinder compression may be caused by leaking valves, sticking piston rings, ring wear, cylinder wear, or cylinder glaze. When white smoke occurs at cold start and then disappears as the engine warms up, the most common causes are fouling deposits around piston rings and/or cylinder glazing.
Continuous evidence of white smoke indicates a mechanical defect, or incorrect fuel timing.

let us know what you see
Old 04-14-2015, 09:52 AM

there is atleast an 1/8 inch of play in the vanes, scuffing on the walls inline with the vanes, air cleaner is stock, an relatively clean, as far as fuel pressure, it's at 30 psi at idle, goes to 23-25 @ wot, it's plumbed at the bottom of the fuel filter per manufacturers reccomendation. other than this the truck runs strong.

Last edited by bigwayne; 04-14-2015 at 09:57 AM. Reason: addional info
Old 04-15-2015, 09:27 AM

ouch. Gotcha in the original post you didn't say scuffing on walls. I think that would be some wobble with that much play. Do you notice any fresh oil leaking out of it. There are alot of good sources out there that will have a refurb drop in Stock replacement or if this vehicle is not your Daily Driver you can send and they rebuild and may save you some coin.

Cummins Service shops usually will be pricey as the dealerships.

Search your local area for independent Turbo rebuilders also.

in your signature it doesn't say if you have a auto or stick. but it does say
Cummin"g"s.. no G.

but depending on if you are going to stay stock and not run bigger injectors you can look at the HX 40 there is also a super HX 40 but this may be to big if you dont plan on going bigger sticks and may cause more lag. Also from what I have heard the HX 40.

There are many choices now days based on the s300 turbo platform.

again this really is going to be up to your needs and plans down the road with truck. Towing ? how much and often? Daily driver? Hot rod etc.

if you were on the West Coast I could tell you a ton of shops and places to call.

I dont know crap about Florida except I think I know where its on the map.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:51 AM

it is a 6 spd, i wrecked my harley now this happened, i'm left with the hemi, due to my job i only tow about once every year, i do go fast alot, that's what impressed me about this truck, i figured that when you got into it in 6 gear it would lag, not this one, it rolls out,