24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Truck wont start !!!! (Part 2)

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Truck wont start !!!! (Part 2)

Ok, as stated before...I turn the key, pump turns on but truck wont even crank. Batteries=good, plenty of power. Connetions=all good, no wear, have power. Starter=brand new. Neutral safety=brand new. Starter relay fuse=brand new. Now what? The only other thing left seems to be the ignition switch. I also noticed the light aroung the keyhole is not lighting up like it always has. Would you guys go out and buy a new ignition switch. Someone enlighten me some more. I need the thing running!!!!!!!!
Old 11-10-2005, 12:01 AM

Unhappy

It's most likely your injection pump. If your lift pump was not working for some time that's all it takes to take out the injection pump. I did not see the part that it's not turning over. Did you try jumping the relay at the starter. this will tell you that it can work and then you can back tack from there.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:28 AM

Fis Teck,
he said it won't crank. Not even giving the VP a chance not to work.

I belive on the autos they put a jumper plug wher the clutch switch would be. Have you checked that or (had) done any work in that area?

Randy
Old 11-10-2005, 03:34 AM

You might try taking the little plasticcover off the starter relay in the PDC and manually activate it to see if it's a problem before or after the relay.

If it tries to crank, you might have an ignition problem.

If it doesn't, you probably have a problem with the starter, or power to it.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:20 AM

THe previous owner said he had the tranny serviced a few times but no major problems. My starter is brand new and Ive made sure I have power to it. What I dont get is the truck did this out of the blue. About 2 minutes after I shut it off!!!!
Old 11-10-2005, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by one54ton
Ok, as stated before...I turn the key, pump turns on but truck wont even crank. Batteries=good, plenty of power. Connetions=all good, no wear, have power. Starter=brand new. Neutral safety=brand new. Starter relay fuse=brand new. Now what? The only other thing left seems to be the ignition switch. I also noticed the light aroung the keyhole is not lighting up like it always has. Would you guys go out and buy a new ignition switch. Someone enlighten me some more. I need the thing running!!!!!!!!

YOu dont have light at the ignition you should check fuse 10 first, its a 50A fuse should be in the door area. If thats good, you may need to pull the ignition switch itself to check that aswell. If its bad, dont replace it yet, you have a short to ground in the ignition switch, putting in another fuse will do nothing for you.

Edited to add you should check fuse 2 as well, its a 30A.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:50 PM

will do...
Old 11-11-2005, 02:54 AM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Just want to throw this in - Just because a fuse looks good visually, doesn't mean its good electrically. I had the dash lights of my old truck ('90 F150), start turning off and on at random. That symptom threw me off and made me think loose wire. I checked the fuse and it looked fine so I stuck it back in. Still had no lights, they had stopped flickering. I not in the mood to even begin checking the wiring. Before I checked the wiring I pulled out the fuse again and checked it with my multimeter. It was bad, I replaced it and voila, I had lights again.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by jrs_dodge_diesel
Just want to throw this in - Just because a fuse looks good visually, doesn't mean its good electrically. I had the dash lights of my old truck ('90 F150), start turning off and on at random. That symptom threw me off and made me think loose wire. I checked the fuse and it looked fine so I stuck it back in. Still had no lights, they had stopped flickering. I not in the mood to even begin checking the wiring. Before I checked the wiring I pulled out the fuse again and checked it with my multimeter. It was bad, I replaced it and voila, I had lights again.

Good call!
Old 11-11-2005, 10:01 AM

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2000/Sa_00-01.htm

Here is a link to look at.

Randy
Old 11-11-2005, 11:08 AM

truck won't start

I have a 98.5 4x4 with the auto tranny. I have had it not want to start a time or two. When this happens the connection terminal below the steering column will have the red light on. I turn my key off and on a few times and let it cycle through the heater cycle and the light will go off and the then it will start. As long as that light is on mine will not start either. Hopefully someone will have a solution.

Tom
Old 11-11-2005, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TallTom
When this happens the connection terminal below the steering column will have the red light on. I turn my key off and on a few times and let it cycle through the heater cycle and the light will go off and the then it will start. As long as that light is on mine will not start either. Hopefully someone will have a solution.
That sure sounds like a factory alarm.

phox
Old 11-11-2005, 11:30 AM

I have the original window sticker and it doesn't show any type of alarm purchased when new. I purchased this truck at 100,000 miles and other than that it has been flawless. 20+ mpg looks and sounds great
Old 11-11-2005, 05:47 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TallTom
I have the original window sticker and it doesn't show any type of alarm purchased when new. I purchased this truck at 100,000 miles and other than that it has been flawless. 20+ mpg looks and sounds great
Could have been added as an afterthought.

"I'll buy the truck today if you throw in an alarm" kind of deal.

Do you have power locks and a key fob?
If so, lock the doors with the fob, then unlock with the key and open the door,
if the horn and lights go crazy, you have the Dodge alarm.

phox
Old 11-11-2005, 05:57 PM

Mine doesn't do that but if I lock the doors with the fob and open from the inside of the truck it goes crazy. Outside lock with key disables the alarm on mine.