24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Trans temp reaching 205* empty

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trans temp reaching 205* empty

I know I've been asking alot of questions lately but I just want this rig to be bullet proof.

Driving around town today I saw trans temps almost reaching 210* empty, no trailer, nothing in the bed just me and my kids. The temp was short lived and it dropped back to around 190* pretty quick but this has me concerned to pull my TT ~7000lbs. The weather here was not warm, maybe 55* ambient temp. I had been driving the kids around after school in city stop and go driving. Lots of 1st gear 2nd and not much 3rd locked (auto tranny). I was getting on the go peddle when the temp shot up so I think it's manageable but I was shocked to see the temp shoot up so fast.

My trans temp sender is installed in the hot line from the trans and I was reaching about 25lbs of boost in 1st and 2nd gear for most of the starts. Still playing with my gauges I'm sure caused most of the temp readings. Or am I looking at more $$$ for a VB and Torque converter. I've just spent about $1500 trying to get this truck ready for the camping season and the truck thinks my wallet is endless. I thought the tranny coolers stock were pretty good, yes or no? I just had the fluid changed and bands adjusted at the dealer and they "said" nothing was wrong with anything. New fluid is in the normal range, no smell or discoloration. I know 210* is the stopping point for auto trannys or bad things happen and short bursts above "can" be done but I want to always be in the safe zone. Am I looking at an aftermarket cooler or a restriction in the existing setup. While driving in lockup I see maybe 130*-150* on the hwy again unloaded.

Thanks everyone.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:59 PM

Running empty in town I may see 150, maybe a little more in stop and go (I do have an extra cooler though) I would look into this, not dropping any oil I assume?
Old 05-07-2007, 09:05 PM

i see 180-190 constantly empty driving in traffic.... i even saw 220 one day in light trafffic... and my temp shoots sky high in about two miles so idk.... i have also had an HD rebuild done but it is not worth it... dont pinch pennies go with something proven such as goerend or suncoast or what have you.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:08 PM
Banned

Running around town in stop and go I see 180-190*. Saw that with the stock tranny as well. Get it up on the highway and get some air moving and get it in lockup and the temps drop back down to maybe 140-150*. Hard throttle launches like what your doing will bring temps up as well. You've also gotta remember that when the converter isn't in lockup all it's doing is slipping and building up heat. Your temps sound perfectly normal so I wouldn't worry.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:09 PM

I have always heard that you want to avoid continued temps of 250 or higher to avoid burning the transmission fluid. Of course, the recommended fluid for the 48RE is the MOPAR, fully synthetic variety, and should have a better resistance to heat damage than typical fluids.
Our trucks have two coolers on them. The first one is a water to fluid heat exchanger on the driver's side of the motor shortly after the hot line leaves the transmission. Then the fluid travels on to the air to fluid heat exchanger between the intercooler and the radiator.
In stop and go traffic, where the truck is running mostly on the torque converter, the fluid is heated up pretty fast, and mine usually stays around 190 in hot weather, and 10 to 20 degrees cooler in the winter.
The Mag Hytec recommendations are here with temperature ratings and relative life of transmission fluid and transmissions.
http://www.maghytec.com
There's also a pretty good writeup here to explain some general facts about transmissions and fluid life.
http://autos.yahoo.com/maintain/repa...ques123_0.html

One thing you really need to watch out for is temps seen while using reverse for backing trailers, as the temps rise much faster. I have seen my temps go over 200 pretty quick while backing a large travel trailer up a slight hill.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:12 PM

So does anyone have any thoughts on the stock cooler being inadequate? I don't like spending money but if I have to I will on a 2nd cooler.

If the truck is not moving it will gradually raise trans temp even in neutral. Once moving and there is air flow it cools down. Again once locked the temp is fine.

Thanks
Old 05-08-2007, 12:01 AM

Wow I guess that BD cooler does more good than I thought
Old 05-08-2007, 05:29 AM
Banned

Don't worry. Your tranny temps are perfectly normal. You don't need to add a 2nd cooler.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:15 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
i think 250 is maximum... NEVER let it get over 250. if you are pulling a long hill and the temp reaches 230 don't stop to cool off, just shift down and continue on (just my opinion and experiance)
Old 05-08-2007, 03:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2500Ram
..... While driving in lockup I see maybe 130*-150* on the hwy again unloaded. Thanks everyone.
This tells me your fine! Save money on the 2nd cooler.
If going to be towing in mountains, make sure tranny cooler is clean of bugs and such and I would run a full synthetic AFT+4. A double deep Mag Hytec pan will help by enlarging the reservoir. Keep it out of OD under 1800 rpm and maybe a lock up switch (for 3rd gear) to reduce torque converter slippage at cruising speeds with decent rpm.
In town, if hot, idle in neutral with rpm up to 1200 rpm.

RJ
Old 05-08-2007, 11:07 PM

Thanks everyone. I was always told 210* is the concern point and 250* was the end of the trans. So "if" it's seeing 230* for limited pulls that's ok as long as I keep servicing my fluids at regular intervals right?

I'm just guessing at the 230* as I have not pulled my TT with the EZ and j-hook setup yet. Just trying to get a baseline in my head. Currently the EZ is on level 3. I'll try that first and then put it on level 1 if I'm seeing heat.

thanks again.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:37 PM

My trans gauge never gets above 150*. Does this mean that it is not reading the hot line, I had the gauge installed by a local shop, thanks for any info.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by walkram42
My trans gauge never gets above 150*. Does this mean that it is not reading the hot line, I had the gauge installed by a local shop, thanks for any info.
More than likely it's not in the hot line, it's either in a test port on the passenger side or in the pan. If it's on a test port all your really seeing is the temp of the metal casting of the trans. The hot line on the 47re is on the drivers side, look where your sender is and let us know.

Good luck.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:01 AM
Banned

I agree. You should easily see 180* sitting in traffic.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:07 AM

That is what I was thinking especially since it was 98* outside today. Thanks guys will check it tomorrow and come back with more questions.

Quick Reply: Trans temp reaching 205* empty