24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Tiny little fuel lines!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2003, 09:51 PM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Tiny little fuel lines!!!

[quote author=KATOOM link=board=4;threadid=14240;start=0#134484 date=1051929738]<br>When I get a chance I am going to also change the tank to LP line to 1/2 just for insurance.[/quote]<br><br>Actually, this may jump up and bite you, versus help you. Think back to when you were a kid and you were scarfing down soda pop through a straw. I hated the big straws, because it was actually more difficult to suck the pop through them. I couldn't generate enough suction to make it easy to draw the pop through the straw. Much the same thing resulted when I'd use something like a coffee stir stick to suck the pop through. Had plenty of suction, but not enough line size to deliver enough volume.<br><br>Fuel pumps are much the same as a kid scarfing down soda pop. They are only capable of generating so much suction to draw fuel. In other words, they are designed to be used with a certain size of fuel line. So when you're choosing the pump that you want to use, talk to the manufacturer, tell them how long a draw you want to make, and they'll tell you what size of line to use. The Carter lift pumps on our trucks wants a -6 line, and the factory stainless line is a just a hair bigger. The bigger PE4200s and Holley Blacks want -8 lines, and the factory lines are just a hair smaller, but more than adequate to the task. The slightly smaller size may even relieve some stress on the pump if you need to draw a long distance.<br><br>Rod
Old 05-02-2003, 10:07 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 158 Likes on 122 Posts

OK Rod, so what would you recommend for us '03'ers that are stock and are not going for other injectors, pumps etc at this time. (But may do something later, like Edge or TST) What can we do to prolong the life of our diesel injection componants and maybe gain a slight performance improvement?
Old 05-02-2003, 10:33 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts

Actually, this may jump up and bite you, versus help you. Think back to when you were a kid and you were scarfing down soda pop through a straw. I hated the big straws, because it was actually more difficult to suck the pop through them. I couldn't generate enough suction to make it easy to draw the pop through the straw. Much the same thing resulted when I'd use something like a coffee stir stick to suck the pop through. Had plenty of suction, but not enough line size to deliver enough volume.
<br><br>Very Good point. What about the line size between the LP-filter-VP. Should I just go with 3/8 like the tank-LP line or go up to 1/2?
Old 05-03-2003, 04:52 AM

[quote author=Mexstan link=board=4;threadid=14240;start=15#134497 date=1051931244]<br>OK Rod, so what would you recommend for us '03'ers that are stock and are not going for other injectors, pumps etc at this time. (But may do something later, like Edge or TST) What can we do to prolong the life of our diesel injection componants and maybe gain a slight performance improvement?<br>[/quote]<br><br>That we don't know, yet. I've noticed my lift pump is slowly but surely dieing. With the EZ, I can drive myself into a vacuum situation, but all this means is that the CP3 is drawing its own fuel through the lift pump, versus it being supplied. According the Bosch, this is does not hurt the CP3 in the least, as its intended to supply its own fuel anyway. I've went with larger banjos on my 03, and it doesn't appear to have helped anything, so the 03 lifts may suffer from different problems than the 02 and down pumps. I'm going to swap to larger lines between the lift and CP3, however I'm a little worried that all this will do is make it more difficult for the CP3 to draw its fuel. We'll know more in the coming months.<br><br>Rod
Old 05-03-2003, 04:55 AM

[quote author=KATOOM link=board=4;threadid=14240;start=15#134505 date=1051932817]<br>Very Good point. What about the line size between the LP-filter-VP. Should I just go with 3/8 like the tank-LP line or go up to 1/2?<br>[/quote]<br><br>I don't think there is an advantage/disadvantage either way. Its not a free-flow system between the lift and VP44, but a pulsing system, so line size isn't a huge issue as long as you relieve the pressure on the outlet of the lift. Our larger fuel line kit will be using -8 (1/2&quot lines, so that the guys who are currently running stock lift pumps won't have to swap lines should they decide to step up to the PE4200 pump in the future.<br><br>Rod