24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

TC never locks up

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TC never locks up

I've got a 2000 2500 Dodge Ram with 200,000+ miles. It's got an automatic transmission.

I bought the truck new and can remember when I first bought it, sometimes it didn't want to shift from 3rd to OD (I'd have to get up close to 50 mph for it to shift unless I let off the accelerator). It didn't happen all the time, and I didn't know much (and still don't), but figured it was the nature of the beast. So I didn't take it back to the dealer.

A couple of years ago, my buddy bought a used '01 model with a manual tranny. Around town we get similar mileage, but we've taken a couple of trips together over the past couple of years where we've both towed our boats. The boats are similar in size (about 3500 lbs including trailer). This past trip, he got 19 mpg and I got 14.5.

During the trip, he, I and several other guys got to talking about it and we all agreed it was probably that the torque converter was not locking up and causing my loss in fuel economy. I didn't even know what "lock up" was before this trip.

On the way back, one of the guys rode back with me, and said he didn't feel my tranny lock at any speed.

Been poking around here all night and found a couple of things, but nothing that really seems to hit the nail on the head.

One thing I found was TSB 21-02-00 on dodgeram.info that seems to describe my first problem, but in reading the TSB, even though I may have that problem, it does sound like the torque converter does lock up at 50+, and mine doesn't.

I found some other stuff about grounding the PCM if it's locking/unlocking, but that doesn't really seem to be my problem either because it doesn't lock at all.

Anyway, looking for some advice here. Do I take it to the dealer and show him the TSB I found? I'm guessing I'd have to pay for the dealer to fix it even if there is a TSB on it. Honestly, that part doesn't bother me enough to pay to get it fixed. Do you guys think it's worth trying the PCM grounding trick? or do you have some other advice that I maybe missed in my searches? Or, should I just take it to a local independent guy that I trust?

Bull
Old 06-07-2007, 09:18 AM

first, what gear tire size, and what rpm is the engine at going say 70. second when on the highway if you accelerate does the rpm climb up quick or only move slowly. Id like to make sure that it definately isnt before I say to try anything else
Old 06-07-2007, 02:48 PM
Banned

The tranny shouldn't kick into OD under 50mph. That's normal. One way to see if your converter is locking is turn OD off and and watch the tach as you acclerate. You should see the 1-2 shift, the 2-3 shift, and then you should see another drop in rpm's while still in 3rd gear. When the converter locks you'll know it. It lugs the engine and the rpm's go up at the same rate as the speed does. Also what size tires are you running and what rpm's are you turning? I have a hard time believing that the converter has never locked in 200k+ miles.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:13 PM

Check your batteries and cables. Look for the proper voltage with each battery disconnected from the system (do one at a time). The drivers side MUST be in spec. Clean & tight cables at clamps?? Add a 2" clamp to Neg. terminal if any sign it might be loose.

Then reset the APPS. (batteries unhooked 1hr...replace...turn ign on slowly move foot pedal...turn off ign....test drive.)

Good luck,

Loren