24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Symptoms of Throttle Position Sensor going out!

Old 08-02-2006, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The proceedure you are using for resetting the APPS, is it to disconnect the battery, discharge the caps then hook back up and move throttle up and down?

A good check for the apps is get a good volt meter and plug it into terminal 23 on the ecm plug closest to the engine. (unplug it from the ecm use a paperclip) then neg probe to the battery. Turn on the ignition but don't start it. the reading should be about 0.5 volts and should match the voltage on the back of the APPS switch. Then slowly move the throttle through it's full travel and watch the voltage. It should go up smoothly, if not it is wore out.

I am also in the dead pedal club and did these checks in an effort to avoid the inevitable replacement of the VP44.

Anyone out there ever tried to rebuild a VP44??
Old 08-19-2006, 09:55 PM

Dinero10
I think I have the same problem(s) with my truck rightnow=> a low voltage code on the TPS (throttle position sensor) which is located on the under a plastic cowling where the throttle cable ends. I have heard of members of this site suggest cleaning the contacts of the TPS, clean any obviously corroded electical contacts to the batterys, and resetting the APPS( accelerator -- sensor). But the code may be an indication of a failure of the TPS. The TPS can affect the lock-in of the torque converter in forth gear and that will cause the engine to vary by 100 to 300 RPM at crusing speeds. I have not solved the problem yet, but one solution is just to replace the TPS. Its a dealer item that you would have to order (not commonly replaced) to the tune of about $450 and one hours labor to install and "program"?
I have not heard from members how successful cleaning a TPS with contact cleaner is, but ... Tell us what you find.
Do any other Mech. have any other ideas?!???

Traveler
Old 08-24-2006, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Dinero10
Ok, what are the symptons of this going out?

Please - Thanks gentleman!

My trucks surges, very intermittent, than it well catch a hold, and I can run 70 pulling my 3H slant trailer.
So Dinero10, what was the outcome of your problem? It sounds like the TPS/APPS low voltage error was interferring with the ability of the Transmissions torque converter to lock-up in 4th. I have been lucky so far, I have cleaned all the Battery contacts, and unplugged and pluged in the APPS several times and reset the APPS. The problem has gone away, at least for now, without replacing to the APPS. I hope you were able to find a solution without breaking open the piggy bank.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:08 PM

I was going down the interstate at 70 with the cruise on and started up a hill and noticed that I was losing speed went for the gas feed and it was on the floor. I turned off the cruise and still had no pedal response then it just reappeared? And it ran fine for a while but as the trip went on it got worse. I felt lucky to get home. Any ideas? I'm thinking TPS?
Old 10-10-2006, 09:10 PM

I had a problem with 98 dodge -2500- auto trans- not shifting up correctly and the rpm's wavering-- This has happened several times and each time it has been the negative ground. I cleaned and tightened both the battery ground and also the cabel going to the alternator. This took care of the problem each time.
Old 10-11-2006, 05:12 PM

WEll after installing a new Throttle sensor postion or whatever you call it, new spped sensor, new lifter pump, and after $2000 they still don't know what is wrong. You can hold in the ignition switch, you know what starts the truck and the surging stops, the moement the mechanic takes his hand away, the truck will start surging. It is not throwing any codes. The cumins people are now talking to the cummings people in Detroit.

Right now, I hate my DODGE! I am disgusted, and I just want to sit down and cry, i have spent 2000 and my truck still isnt running. My mechanic has told the Cummins people all the tests, and no they don't think it is the injector pump either.

Oh wait, I am crying. **** truck!
Old 10-11-2006, 07:41 PM

yeah' I've done all the things that you have done plus more and my intermittent throttle problem is still there!!! The only thing I have not done is the vp44. but not typical symptoms of it going out. Has anyone put a new injection pump in and fixed these problems?
'99 2500, 275hp injectors, diesel dynamics 90hp chip,ats auto trans
Old 10-12-2006, 09:00 AM

Only time I ever had these symptoms was when VP44 was dieing a slow death.. Hope thats not you problem. Thinking mine is getting goofey because sometimes when I stop, idle is above 1k rpm's, have seen as high as about 1200 rpms. appears to be random and sometimes if I hit the throttle peddle 4 or 5 times it will idle down. Going to try the reset when I get time.. but my batts are getting weak also. Just dont want to fork out $3oo bucks for two optima's right now.

GOOD LUCK...
Duane W.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:34 AM

So far I haven't seen anyone else have these apps symptoms..... When I'm driving long stretches, as I'm getting off the interstate I'll slip it outta gear and coast down the exit ramp. Then the check engine light comes on and I have no throttle, only idle. I just pull into a gas station & do the apps reset procedure. After I finish that I clear the codes with my superchips programmer, and the check engine light goes off. What do you guys think?
Old 02-26-2007, 06:08 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
It's not slipping out of gear.
It's just coasting at idle.

Sounds like the classic "APPS preparing to take the big dirt nap" symptom.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:51 AM

Shovelhead, what happens when the apps dies, will the apps reset procedure just not work anymore? How long do I have? I have 1000 miles til I get home & can replace it. Do you think I'll be ok to get home?
Old 02-26-2007, 08:17 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
You can perform the APPS Reset and it might help for a short period of time.
It will keep occuring more and more frequently as it dies.
It's still going to fail eventually, but it may buy you a little more time.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:52 PM

I'm going to check/adjust the apps voltage per instructions on this site. Do you think that could fix the problem?
Old 03-02-2007, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Shovelhead
My Symptoms ;
Driving down the road at speed with my foot on the accelerator, the engine would drop to idle.
Stepping on the pedal would have no effect on engine RPM.
After 10 seconds or so, the throttle control would return usually follwed by the Check Engine Light coming on.

This occured two or three times a day.

What he said.

Brad
Old 03-02-2007, 07:34 PM

Engine Code

The code I got on my odometer is P 0120. Just got my 02 back from the shop having the injector pump replaced then this code pops up. Checked at the shop and it's the throttle position sensor

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Symptoms of Throttle Position Sensor going out!