24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Straight pipe

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2004, 07:17 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
also realize that the factory pipe is a thicker gauge metal and doesn't resonate as bad as aftermarket systems...

Forrest
Old 10-10-2004, 11:13 PM

Hopin for some imput on this:
After running with my fueling box on full in the high country (7,000 to 11,000 ft) with my 600, I am thinking my cat is partially plugged. Since I don't live in CA, I see no reason to keep it in the system, so.........
here are my questions:
Does this make sense?
Does someone like Geno's have a pipe to replace it, and if so, how tough a job?
Could it be part of the reason my oil is filthy in just a few hundred miles, and my friends is still much cleaner than that at 15,000 miles?
Is there any legality problem with my removing my own cat?

Thanks.
Old 05-03-2005, 01:44 AM

Talking

Well, a few, maybe 6 months back, I did it. I straight piped my rig. I did it the hard way, and probably the most expensive way possible, but hey, it came out oh, so suweeet!! I purchased the straight pipe from Geno's. Got all set up, and went to take off my muffler of my 03 dodge. I dont think so!! After about an hour and a half of trying, I gave up and put the hangar rubbers back on, and called Genos. I was told to just take a saws-all and whack out my muffler after holding up the bypass so I know where to cut it. Nope! Good thing I didnt, as the size did not line up, and would not have worked out. (To be continued)

(part 1)
Jetmanjo
Old 05-03-2005, 01:45 AM

(Continued) Part 2:
I took it to my local trusted muffler shop, and they had to order a reducer to make the part fit. All in all, the $96.00 for the bypass plus shipping, and about $30.00 for for the reducer, and another $50.00 to get it all welded up nice and tight. Yeah it cost me, but... The gamble paid off. It is not too loud, and at 70 mph it is just a touch louder than stock. When you get to 75 and up, it starts to drone. It helps me save on fuel anyways!

Just thought I would add my input since it has been nearly a year since I last asked about how loud a straight pipe would be. I LOVE it!

Jetmanjo
Old 05-03-2005, 08:57 AM

Funny to see this thread pop back up...

This is the same thread I was reading before I striaght piped mine...

With a LWB quad cab the exhuast noise is very minimal until you stomp on the skinny hard... Other than that you can see the cruise and never really hear the pipe until you start to climb a grade then it make a bit of grunt.

I still like rolling into town and stomp on it in front of the local cop. He thinks it sounds sweet and would like to do it to his DMax but it will void his warranty!

As for a dealer warranty issues... The dodge dealer to notice to it and smiled.. She siad it sound better that way!
Old 05-03-2005, 09:39 PM

well i guess i might as well post mine , i spent close to 45 bucks went to a diesel junk yard got a 3 to 4 reducer then a 5 to 4 reducer got some clamps and a 5 foot 5 in chrome stack and laid it long ways under the truck , sounds REALY !!!!! good
Old 05-04-2005, 12:44 AM

Mopar1973man,

I agree with you completely. Most of my driving is pretty flat, but when camping, hauling or climbing, it picks up the tone a bit. I just reach for the vollume **** on the stereo when I see a grade coming! Does anyone have any idea what kind of benefit from upgrading to a 4" or 5" pipe? A little more HP, and a little cooler temps maybe? Just curious as my pipe size is still stock for 03'.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:18 AM

Originally posted by jetmanjo
Mopar1973man,

I agree with you completely. Most of my driving is pretty flat, but when camping, hauling or climbing, it picks up the tone a bit. I just reach for the vollume **** on the stereo when I see a grade coming! Does anyone have any idea what kind of benefit from upgrading to a 4" or 5" pipe? A little more HP, and a little cooler temps maybe? Just curious as my pipe size is still stock for 03'.
I hear (or don't over the pipes! ) that the 4 inch will produce a deep note, more HP/TQ numbers, cooler EGT, and bit quicker on the spool up.

I don't think there is any reason to jump to a 5 inch unless you going to full comp. But looking at your sig I would say you going to be good at a 4" exhaust..

I still think that stacks are the way to go... But boy I've storys about them being loud in the cab... (Droning...)
Old 05-04-2005, 05:10 PM

Do you think using flex pipe and a turndown tip would cut out some of the drone?
Old 05-04-2005, 05:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, I finally did it!! 43.00 bucks later. 2 SS band clamps, and 1-3' section of 4
inch of pipe. I am light on the throttle near the cops, and keep the windows up and A/C on when I have company!!!! When I am alone--windows down, I love it. It wakes you up when you go under an underpass at 2600RPM!!!
Old 05-04-2005, 09:27 PM

Originally posted by Mopar1973man
I hear (or don't over the pipes! ) that the 4 inch will produce a deep note, more HP/TQ numbers, cooler EGT, and bit quicker on the spool up.

I don't think there is any reason to jump to a 5 inch unless you going to full comp. But looking at your sig I would say you going to be good at a 4" exhaust..

I still think that stacks are the way to go... But boy I've storys about them being loud in the cab... (Droning...)
Thanks for the info. One of these days I will have to go to 4". All these other toys I am getting are costing me though! That, and there is always "something" else to buy!
Old 05-05-2005, 09:53 AM

Originally posted by jetmanjo
Thanks for the info. One of these days I will have to go to 4". All these other toys I am getting are costing me though! That, and there is always "something" else to buy!
I hate to say it but the BOMB bug bit you in the back pocket again!

Try not to keep sratching the itch it might get infected...

Old 05-05-2005, 09:07 PM
Ian

Can you DIY an entire 4" exhaust in an afternoon? Can you get 90* bends as well, or do you have to use a pipe bender on a straight piece?
Old 05-05-2005, 10:31 PM
Banned

use 45* bends... you shouldn't need a 90* bend at all...
Old 05-08-2005, 06:08 AM

Funny,
I read this post about 4 different times and always wanted to do this! A few weeks ago I was at my uncles ranch and my cousin talked me into straighting mine. He has had his done for a year and loves it. Had his Mom call the parts guy who delivers to the ranch and 60.00 later for a 6 foot stick of pipe, 2 adapters and 4 pipe clamps, we got the parts. Took about 2 hours, cause the first thing I did was bust the only sawzall blade we had No running to Home Depot for us, it is 70 miles away!!
We ended up cutting it out with a grinding wheel, what a PIA!! Once it was out, all was a piece of cake.
I ended up picking up 2MPG unloaded, which is a miricle because I can not keep my foot out of it. I dropped my brother off at the Grocery store the other day. They have an overhang right at the fron door, I got on it pretty hard, he said everyone was ducking for cover, and one guy yelled " thats bull S$%T"

I love audible horse power

Chris

Quick Reply: Straight pipe