24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Straight pipe

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 07:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
True,

But the truck helps out!!
Old 08-30-2004, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
straight piping isnt too loud in my opinion.. I had my resonator and muffler hacked off and i think it sounds perfect. I'm thinking of straight piping 4 inch!
Old 08-30-2004, 08:22 PM

I love the sound of my 4" straight pipe. I particularly like the sound the turbo makes when I shift. It seems to have better low end torque and the turbo spools up faster.
Old 10-08-2004, 12:37 AM

Straight 3" for over a year - LOUD

Yes, a straight pipe is LOUD - it fakes the kids out in the morning (school bus sound) and overwhelms everything at the light but an 18-wheeler. It is MUCH louder in the cab at all speeds - the drone at highways speeds gets annoying after about :30 min - if you are gonna drive it at continuous speeds for a long time I wouldn't bother - if it's an around-town ride with occasional trips than go for it. And save yourself the cash and just go to a local muffler shop and get the d*mn straight pipe and clamps for $45.00 - if you cut it clean you can always get someone to weld it back on for $20.00 - really not a big deal here people.. I cut mine before the resonator and after the muffler - then just installed a straight-pipe where they were - entire thing cost around $40 with pipe (flared at both ends) and clamps.... Take the old resonator / muffler segment and throw it in your attic / garage to put back on if you don't like the straight-pipe sound..
Old 10-08-2004, 07:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for an honest opinion.
Old 10-08-2004, 08:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One thing to remember........most car muffler shops can not do anything with the large diameter pipes on these things, so don't go hacking away thinking you can get the pipes fitted at your local muffler joints. Most can't swell the pipe ends, or bend, not around here they can't I've been to all of them.
Most aftermarket mufflers are 4 " in and out, adapters are availible at NAPA to go from 3 1/2 to 4" for the engine pipe to muffler (2003). also in angles to fit the offsets.
The pipe from Geno's fits right on no hassles. Simply heat the muffler end pipes and persuade the muffler off.....slip on the pipe from Geno's and your done. And you can slip the original right back on with no problems........$ 96 might sound high but if you go making up your own and want to change back you'll have more than that in it with time and pieces for sure......what's $96 to anyone that can afford a Cummins anyhow?
Old 10-08-2004, 09:28 AM

All good points - DO be sure to check with the muffler shop BEFORE you start cutting to make sure they can provide the correct diameter pipe! :-) I actually went and picked mine up FIRST - you can measure the distance from "in front" of the resonator to "after" the muffler and go get the straight pipe first - get it swelled on both ends, and grab clamps - only THEN start cutting! I actually purchased the WRONG size pipe at first and had to go back - they were kind enough to credit me for the original pipe...

By the way Harry the Adirondacks are SO nice... I have spent many hours riding motorcycles through the entire region (and climbed Blue Mountain to boot!) - awesome area.. How does your 2wd truck work in the snow though? Must put about 1000lbs. of sand in the back! Reminds me of the years I spent in Syracuse - LOTTA sand in the back of my little Ford Ranger - recall doing loops on the Ft. Drum offramp of 81N.. AHHH, THOSE WERE THE DAYS!

Joe
Old 10-08-2004, 01:06 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Duluth Diesel
[B]I drove past some girlscouts having a fund raiser car wash. They were about 10 feet from my pipe. I tromped on it as I went by. The screamed and ran.

Isn't great!!!!! When I go to work, come back from lunch, my parts dept. thinks that the delivery trucks are dropping off.
Old 10-08-2004, 01:24 PM

Unhappy

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mcmopar
[B]Have the "law enforcement officials" ever bothered anyone?? For noise I mean, not the other infractions that come along with power!!:

I got nailed!!!! $10.00 fix-it ticket. Highway Patrol said he heard me over the PETERBUILT in the slow lane. (I was getting on the freeway.) I didn't argue with him. I LIKE HAVE'IN THE BRAGG'IN RIGHTS!
Old 10-08-2004, 04:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Joe Diesel I don't worry about snow as I spend my winters in Daytona Beach Florida..........the sand is under my truck not in the back........hahahahaha
Joe fill out your info so we know about you
Old 10-08-2004, 07:01 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
My advice for those who want to straight pipe their truck is: If you think it might be too loud for you, it will be.
Old 10-08-2004, 07:13 PM

my girl is a 12 hour ride away and i dont mind my straight pipe one bit. dont even notice it while im listening to stories! and most shops can handle 3 inch but not 4. i think i made mine 62 1/2 inches long with a 2 inch offset. i pulled the old clamps and ground slits where the offending pipe overlapped after an hour pulling the old one off it took 15 minutes to put the straight one in. 20 bucks for the pipe and i used the old hangers. i have a pic of it pending in my gallery.
Old 10-09-2004, 12:31 AM

I bought my truck and did not realize it had a straight pipe for a week,and was happy it was already gutted. Diesel engines only need the turbo for a muffler/restriction, everything else is crap, and can harm the engine.
Old 10-09-2004, 02:22 AM
Banned

Mine is straight piped and with the windows up it's barely louder than stock. On the other hand with my lift it places exhaust right at window height and if I'm on it, it is loud It really is porportional to how hard you are on it. Normal city driving and it's not that bad even outside. You guys that think they are too loud might consider a brand new Nissan or Toyota. You can't even hear the things running
Old 10-10-2004, 03:51 PM

Mine just makes the loud pedal louder!

Quick Reply: Straight pipe