24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Stinky truck!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 09:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Stinky truck!

When we researched diesels I was concerned about smokiness and smelliness. We met one fellow with a '98.0 2500 and his truck was very clean, not smokey, and he said he rarely smelled anything other than just starting up cold, a little smell standing behind the truck.

We bought our '99 2500 QC 4X4, thinking a year younger, even better. Well, this guy is pretty smelly when you first start and when idle before shut down.

Even worse was after we changed the oil - I could distinctly smell fumes near the engine. I read somewhere in the forums that when you change the oil the truck can be smelly, something to do with the new oil, and after it breaks in a bit it won't smell so much.

Is there anything I can do to help this truck not be the fumey diesel that I always hated sitting next to in stopped traffic?!
Old 07-09-2004, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess I'm wierd but I like the smell of diesel compared to a lot of things...it smells better than dog pookie, gasoline and my wifes perfume; in fact, if she would just put a dab of #2 behind the ear instead of that paycheck per ounce stuff I wouldn't be sneezing all the time and my eyes would stop watering.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:00 PM

sorry dude you bought a big bad DIESEL. not a fr!$%in honda. Again i say sorry.Now focus on the power that your new truck is capable of.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:07 PM
DPG

betsycam:

Wow! My baby is a '99 also, and I've never smelled anything, except exhaust when I start it in the garage. You are right about the oil smell after a change. But I don't even get that because I use synthetic oil. Have you checked your breather bottle? What you are smelling might not be diesel, but oil fumes. You have a small bottle that catches oil from your crankcase vent. It is located near the bottom of your radiator on the drivers side. (I'm reasonably sure of the location, but not positive as mine was already gone when I bought the truck) Just take the bottle and pitch it. Some people have extended the vent tube so that it extends behind the engine. Be careful, though, because if there is a "dip" in the tube, oil can collect and block the vent causing problems.

I really hope that this helps. I know that I love my truck, and I wouldn't if it were smelly. My wife, who is super sensitive to smells, etc. (she has allergies that you wouldn't believe) never complains of any smells in my truck.

DeWain
Old 07-09-2004, 10:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Find a source for mixed biodiesel fuel. Smell is much less. Anything over 20% is a great solvent, so be prepared with new fuel filters for a while, as the fuel will clean all of the crud out of your fuel tank and lines. Not a problem, just cleans up your system, and prematurely clogs your filter at first. Soot and CO2 emissions much less, NOX slightly higher. As for the oil bottle: I still have mine, and it can leave a mess. I want to extend the draft tube to below the engine. With Chevron Delo 400, had to burn ~ 2 tanks of fuel (over 1000 miles) before strong oil fumes went away. Other brands might be better. Just my $0.02.
Old 07-10-2004, 07:27 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I think you used Rotella oil. Don't use it if you don't want it to stink for a couple of weeks. Use Delvac 1300 or Delo 400, they're about the same price and not stinky.
Old 07-10-2004, 11:54 AM
CJ

Originally posted by 243
I guess I'm wierd but I like the smell of diesel compared to a lot of things...it smells better than dog pookie, gasoline and my wifes perfume; in fact, if she would just put a dab of #2 behind the ear instead of that paycheck per ounce stuff I wouldn't be sneezing all the time and my eyes would stop watering.

Amen brother..... CJ
Old 07-10-2004, 12:07 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Also check to be sure the Cowl Seal hasn't fallen down (again).
It's that strip of rubber that runs across the rear of the engine compartment and seals when the hood is down.
When mine falls down (again ), I can smell the crankcase fumes. You might also want to extend the breather hose to a point behind the passenger compartment.

I use Valvoline Premium Blue and have not noticed an "oil smell" after an oil change.

Ed
Old 07-10-2004, 12:45 PM
CJ

Originally posted by 243
Amen brother.............. CJ
Old 07-10-2004, 02:53 PM
DPG

I finally Siliconed my cowl seal in place after I put it back in place for the 6th or 7th time.
Old 07-10-2004, 07:55 PM

The reason you smell the new oil after a change, is, that the Cummins engine crankcase is vented to the atmosphere. Ford diesels, even the 6.9L I have and possibly the GMs also, are vented back to the air intake and burnt.

Rotella T oil, has one of the strongest smells when new.
Old 07-10-2004, 09:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks, guys, great info and very helpful. I'm going to see if we have the receipt to return the rest of the Rotella we have! And I'll check the cowl (I recall it being out of place once when we had the hood up) and the bottle thing.
Old 07-11-2004, 06:57 AM

Well I use Rotella T 15-40 And change my own oil. Never have a oder after change.
Old 07-11-2004, 02:08 PM

I also use rotella with no smell...

If you dont want a diesel... dont buy a diesel... is that hard?

I straight piped mine and will be turning up the smoke because I like being a menace and because horsepower, c14 leaded race fuel or diesel smells like happy.
Old 07-11-2004, 04:38 PM
DPG

I'm on my third diesel, and I've never had one that smelled.

I want a diesel, I bought a diesel, I don't want it to smell, and it doesn't have to.

No, it's not that hard. There's no reason for a modern charge-air diesel engine to smell. We're not talking about normal minor odors here.

Quick Reply: Stinky truck!