24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Starter Won't Turn - How to Diagnose

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Starter Won't Turn - How to Diagnose

Today, my truck decided to not start at the worst time. I had just backed up to our camper trailer to hook up. Turned it off to check hitch, etc. Then it would not go at all. No previous warning. Maybe someone can suggest what I need to check tomorrow, before I'm forced to invest in a tow.

I had three good starts today prior. Electrical (battery seem good). When I turn key on all systems operate normal. You can hear the lift pump come on for a short period. When I turn to start, the radio goes off (that's normal). The starter solenoid does not click or make any sound. Absolutely nothing. I checked the fuses in the power distribution center and could not find any blown fuse. In fact, when I try to start the lift pump will cycle for 20 to 30 seconds just as if I had "bumped" the starter.

I'm not sure what to check, or where. How can I check the starter while it is on the engine? Could it be some other relay and how do I check them?

What a bummer. It was even too late to cancel reservations and get refund.
My wife said, better to break at home than out on the road. She always looks on the bright side.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by TankerIP
My wife said, better to break at home than out on the road. She always looks on the bright side.
She's right about that one. Sounds kinda fishy that your starter would die just like that. Make sure to check all the relays under the hood. Maybe a bad ground, battery terminals, corrosion? Start with the easy stuff first. Knowing me, I'd probably take a set of jumper cables and just directly connect the pos. starter motor terminal to the pos. battery terminal for a second at a time to see if it spins (while making sure the body is grounded well).
Old 05-16-2007, 08:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like either a contact problem on the starter, or a bad wiring connection. I had that problem on a 52 Chevy -- everything would work but no starter, not even a click. If I twisted the battery connection (smaller terminals on modern batteries vs. old ones) it would start. I replaced the original battery terminal clamps with new models, and still had issues -- there would be some kind of resistive corrosion buildup between the terminals and clamps. I cleaned everything up and added a good quality dielectric grease, and never had a problem again. Try cleaning the terminals to a good raw finish, then coat with good dielectric grease before tight reassembly. Hopefully this does it for you.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:46 AM

Oops

How Stupid.....It was the theft prevention device. I must have knocked it loose getting in and out.

Found it in the light of day. Plugged it firmly in and the starter turned.

Another one for the forum members to laugh at.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:21 PM

Haha, good stuff, at least it wasn't anything major!

My suggestions were going to be starter relay, or a bad connection somewhere. I just got done tracking down the same problem on my F250 and it ended up being a corroded wire to the starter, of course after I had already replaced other far more expensive parts .