24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Soy Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2004, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Soy Diesel

Has anyone used soy (soybean based) diesel in their CTD's? I am curious about anyone's experience or any tech info pertaining to running diesel.

I used it a couple of times last fall at about a 5-8% rate. I didn't notice any difference in overall performance other than a slight "french fry" smell. Locally it's about $.10-.20/gal higher than petro based diesel. I would like to begin using it long term in support of the local economy, etc.

I didn't use it this winter as the local station owner advised against it because it gels at higher temps, in raw undiluted form, than petro based.

Thanks.
Old 03-06-2004, 06:03 PM
Banned

I think if you PM lightman he could tell you mucho about bio. He loves the stuff.
Old 03-06-2004, 11:02 PM

IT is ok to run, there are places where truckers can get up to an 80% blend. There really isn't alot of data about it yet but it seems to be a good alternative. I look to see the soyblend diesel to be more reasonably priced later on. Right now around here it is alot more then regualr diesel. I am just waiting for it to become more economical to run, .10-.20 more would be nice.
dave
Old 03-07-2004, 07:50 AM

There are a few discussions regarding Bio. Here's a fairly recent thread that has a ton of good info.
Old 03-07-2004, 07:09 PM

I run a B-2 blend all the time from where I work. Ive noticed 1 mpg increase but ive only ran a few tanks though it so that could change. Ill say one thing though the smoke smells a lot different but it doesnt smell like fries.
Old 03-08-2004, 05:42 PM

Bio is great! I love the stuff...but at $2.50/gal here in the Lone Star State, its a mouth full. BUT the goods most definatly out weigh the bads.

1. Better lubricity than Petro
2. Lessening foreign dependence on oil
3. Helps all the starving, hard working farmers out there!
4. AWESOME Fuel system cleaner (so good infact, it will eat pure ruber hoses (pre '94) and paint....IE: my shop floor. It will clog up fuel filters if the truck is older...so cary an extra!).
5. Lots safer to handle. (easer on your skin when compaired to peto....and in my case...mouth. Dang siphon!)
6. Less pollution (they put in an additive to reduce the NOX, Though B-100 still has slightly higher NOX i believe, but less particulate and others) Not big on my list but hey! Its a plus and gets the EPA off the diesel owners back!
7. Little more power and milage in B-5 to B-20 mixes.

I love the batch i ran....and maybe someday i can make my own! Untill then....ill buy it as a fuel additive untill it gets cheeper....which i heard that soon it will be in Texas if bills get past in the next few months.

My 2.......