24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

SIGNS OF A BAD INJECTOR PUMP

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2003, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SIGNS OF A BAD INJECTOR PUMP

How can you tell when your injector pump is headed south,and i mean before you are sitting on the side of the road waiting for the tow truck :'(.If there are signs i can get it to the shop before that happens .
Old 10-24-2003, 06:08 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Re:SIGNS OF A BAD INJECTOR PUMP

Some simply quit...no warning unless youhave a fuel pressure gauge...this can show tell tale signs like fluctuation and/or drops in pressure.

I lost 3 on one stock truck. One had no symptoms.
Two had sputtering and stuttering as well as codes set.

THATS THE BEST I CAN DO!
Old 10-24-2003, 08:31 PM

Injector pump, as in VP44? or lift pump?
Old 10-24-2003, 08:58 PM

I meant the vp-44, lift pump pressures are not good, 2psi idle,0psi cruise,0psi W.O.T. Dealers are no longer going by pressure readings anymore,dodge has come up with a new test called a flow check on the lift pump. Called all local dealers and they all said the say thing about my pressure readings bring it in so we can do a flow check.
Old 10-24-2003, 10:06 PM

Better change that lift pump NOW! If mine were that low on my truck I wouldn't even start it. Pressures that low can cause the vp44 to fail and that is a whole lot more money than a LP.....
Old 10-25-2003, 09:21 AM

Driveability issues, ie; stumbling off of the line etc. Also, some beginning to fail will set engine code P0216 (timing failure). If you get that code you know for sure it's you VP44 going south.
Old 10-25-2003, 09:45 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alot of times the truck will not start when at full operating temp. This is a good sign that the VP is on its last leg. When this occurs, most of the time a code will not be set.
Old 10-25-2003, 12:32 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When mine was dying it would idle rough.
First start of the day, chug chug chug.
Later starts were fine, till it sat over 8 hours, then chug chug.

After driving a short bit, it would fix itself and would be fine the rest of the day.

Then after a drive on the freeway, heading down the offramp, as soon as the RPMs got below 1K, it would stumble and surge, and almost die.

Took it to the Dealer and of course, it would run perfect and they "couldn't duplicate problem"

Soon it was running rough anytime the RPM's got below 1K or so, every start, every stoplight, every offramp.
Took it back to the Dealer and lucked out, it "surged" (magic word for the STAR line) for the service tech as he pulled it into the bay.

Week later I had my truck back after STAR OK'd the replacement under warranty, ordered the VP44, got it shipped and installed.

Oh, lift pump was fine, and still is.
This all happened with 4,000 miles on the odometer, 3 months after I bought the truck new.

good luck,

phox
Old 10-25-2003, 10:59 PM

Mine ran smoothe, idled smoothe, had power, started easy, no signs of failure, the mileage was slightly off. I was going down the freeway loaded, downshifted to slow for the exit, went to downshift again and the engine did not respond to the double clutch for the shift. Coasted to a stop the engine was dead. Playing with it got it to idle no more. It set no codes until it went out then set the codes.
Old 10-25-2003, 11:22 PM
Administrator

Oh ya, mine didn't set any codes as it was dying.

If no codes are present, Dodge and STAR have a hard time believing something is actually wrong.

phox
Old 10-26-2003, 06:23 PM

I just had mine replaced. I kept getting a 0216 code. at first it would be 2 or 3 days before it came back finally it would come back as soon as I let out the clutch. Truck started VERY hard when warm. Some times at idle it would drop a cylinder. Other times it would roll at an idle like a "Jimmy" hunting for idle speed. 78,000 miles lift pump at 36,000.
Dealer waranteed it no questions asked. Took it in 7:00am Monday had it back at 12:00 Tuesday. Runs better than before.
Old 10-26-2003, 09:26 PM

I need a lesson: I can pretty much figure out what the injector pump does...what's the lift pump and what does it do? Thanks!
Old 10-26-2003, 09:40 PM

lift pump=transfer pump it move fuel from the tank, through the filter to the injector pump. The VP44 is cooled by excess fuel flowing through it and returning to the tank. That is why fuel pressue is so important.
Old 10-26-2003, 10:00 PM

So, in other words, it's a fuel pump. Why don't they just call it a fuel pump? After all, it just pumps fuel.
Old 10-26-2003, 10:09 PM

your right it is just a fuel pump but they have to confuse everyone so they can charge more for it.

Quick Reply: SIGNS OF A BAD INJECTOR PUMP