24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

sick and tired of my truck

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sick and tired of my truck

It's time for a new truck. I was on a sled trip this past weekend and when we got back to the truck it wouldn't start. This is not the first time this has happened and quite frankly it's getting old quick. My problem is when we go on trips, there is nowhere to plug the truck in to keep it warm (luckily this time time there was a tow company that could get to us. Other issues include the transfer case is making a growl, the TPS is acting up, the box is rotten etc etc. My question is should I buy a gas to prevent being stranded in the north due to the cold weather? I do tow with the truck but not daily, and with diesel costing more than gas at the pump and for the the truck, I am in a pickle
Old 02-18-2013, 10:56 AM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
When its time to replace a truck its a simple decision. Replace it now or it will just casue you more grief every time it acts up.

Gassers are better in the cold weather at heating up and the new ones tow pretty well. Carburetors used to be a drag at altitude.

Sounds like its time.....
Old 02-18-2013, 11:11 AM

I was leaning to a gas truck due to the sub zero temps we get here but not sure what engine gets the best MPG or whether to go to a 1500 (cheaper parts) or a 2500
Old 02-18-2013, 11:49 AM

Suprisingly a lot of my friends and others in MT have switched to the Toyota Full size after dumping their 24 valves because of the vp44 issues.

Nice trucks and plenty of power, not the fuel mileage of a diesel though. I wish they would get the diesel 1/2 tons a reality here!!!
Old 02-18-2013, 02:54 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Your truck needs some attention - that happens over time. But going to a gasser is probably not the best idea, especially if you tow from time to time... For one, it's expensive to switch vehicles (taxes, insurance, shopping, payments, etc) and switching to a gasser will have your diesel's repair costs sucked up in gasoline in about a month. Range in terms of miles per tank will be diminished too, especially when towing. Might pay to fix up your current rig and install a diesel heater... No excuse for a no-start in sub-zero that way. I never liked the VP's much, so I'd say go back to a 12valve and put an espar/wabasto on it. Reliable, economical, cheap/easy to fix and will start when needed....
Old 02-18-2013, 03:42 PM

I have thought about a fuel heater but the problem is the engine wont roll over. The heater grid took all the power out of the batteries then there wasn't enough juice to roll it over. Both batteries (1050 CCA each) are just over a year old and they tested fine before I left with a carbon pile tester. My big problem is when it gets past -20 it gets pretty tough to start the ol girl if its not plugged in. It's a 98 with over 320k and WELL used, needs a body and previously mentioned parts so I could justify a new(er) truck. What are the 3rd gen cummins like? I have heard the newer ones with all the emission crap are to be veered away from.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:55 PM

Problem with a 3rd gen is finding one that doesn't have over a 100,000 miles on the body.....

As for 12valves, yeah, that might treat you right, but you sounded like you were into a new truck....

Cold, cold weather issues can be lessened with synthetic oil and lubes....
Old 02-19-2013, 04:52 AM

It doesnt have to be new just newer than '02. The kids are getting bigger and need more leg room than the half cab.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Chris Martin
It doesnt have to be new just newer than '02. The kids are getting bigger and need more leg room than the half cab.
I hear ya there!!

The Mega's are pretty nice, if you can handle a shortbox.....
Old 02-19-2013, 08:20 PM

I have thought about those but then I would be jealous of the kids having more room than me lol. In reality I do need a long box. Is it true the new trucks only come with a long box if its a regular cab? I have also heard in 2014 the 1500 are going to have a diesel. Hmmmmm..........
Old 02-20-2013, 01:30 AM

Thing to check is make sure your grid heaters are working property. That will make a huge difference in starting in cold weather. Check all your battery cables. Also having a strong lift pump will help too. Make sure its not loosing prime. I know plenty of guys that start in -10-20 degree weather and dont really have a problem. They just cycle the grids twice before staring. I honestly wont own another gas truck after owning a diesel.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:51 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ramitt
Thing to check is make sure your grid heaters are working property. That will make a huge difference in starting in cold weather. Check all your battery cables. Also having a strong lift pump will help too. Make sure its not loosing prime. I know plenty of guys that start in -10-20 degree weather and dont really have a problem. They just cycle the grids twice before staring. I honestly wont own another gas truck after owning a diesel.
Grid heater is not the problem here. Those engines will light right off at 20F without the grids if everything else is in good shape. Good to make sure its working, but at 20F it's not the cause of starting problems.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:41 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
LOL, better read that again, he said -20...... But is it Canuck temp or Fahrenheit?

If it was Canuck, then she should have started, but if F, setting for a few days in the middle of nowhere, well I am not sure even Greenie would fire without full synthetics.

Personally I would go for a Westabo and not look back.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:48 PM

I converted it from Canuck temp to American temp lol It was -20F when I tried to start it but the previous night night was down to -27F which isn't uncommon hence my debate to going to a gasser. It's not an issue of the grid heaters, it just plain old wouldn't roll over. What grade of synthetic could I use in the winter? I have sae40 but can I go lower? And before anyone says the batteries....as posted before they are good lol

Not to sound dumb, but what is a Westabo?
Old 02-20-2013, 07:23 PM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by patdaly
LOL, better read that again, he said -20...... But is it Canuck temp or Fahrenheit?

If it was Canuck, then she should have started, but if F, setting for a few days in the middle of nowhere, well I am not sure even Greenie would fire without full synthetics.

Personally I would go for a Westabo and not look back.
I agree with Pat...I would install a Westabo...Sure beats looking for another truck,repairs,truck payments,etc...

Way cheaper buying a Westabo than another truck..

Quick Reply: sick and tired of my truck