24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

RJMontana's FINALLY a Dodge/Cummins owner!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2002, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RJMontana's FINALLY a Dodge/Cummins owner!!

Well, the hunt is finally over. After an exhausting month of truck shopping I drove up to Kalispell Montana last night and drove home in my new Pre-owned 2000 Dodge 2500 4x4. I wound up with a clean 59Kmiles 2000 with Cummins power in the 6-speed HO. Truck has SLT Laramie package and had been well cared for and maintained. I was trying to get into a 2001 but this one had all features I wanted and miles didn't seem out of line. I had looked at and driven about 7 or 8 different trucks but just couldn't put together the deal I wanted so I stood my ground and kept looking. I think I did just fine on this truck. I guess now I need to begin my posts on maintaining and taking care of my new rig as this is my first diesel. If you current diesel owners had just bought a pre-owned diesel, are there any maintenance items you would address immediately just to establish a good base line and know where your trucks condition is at. The truck was serviced about 300 miles ago so I'm good to go with the oil change for a while. Should I plan on an extensive oil change when I do the next one and change out all the filters and start my own program from scratch?? If so, I would love to hear any input on recommended filters for this motor!! Thanks for all of your input in my decision making process, It is greatly appreciated and helped a bunch. There was alot of info to sift through but it did help me gain a basic understanding and sort through the things I did and didn't need or want in a diesel pickup. Thanks again for all the help, please keep the beginning info comming!!! RJ in Montana....
Old 10-09-2002, 10:28 AM

Re:RJMontana's FINALLY a Dodge/Cummins owner!!

Congratulations on your purchase. You're gonna love this engine. Continue to follow the posts on this site and don't be afraid to ask any question about your truck. There's always someone here with an answer and willing to help. Here's a webpage with some info that might help out. 8)<br><br>http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/maint/3rd_Gen-24v.htm<br><br>CR
Old 10-09-2002, 02:28 PM

RJ - You will love this truck.<br><br>Here is what I would check/change:<br><br>- Check front brake pads immediately<br>- Check or change air and gas filter<br>- Flush out old and add new antifreeze<br>- Check fluid level in trans and both diffs.<br>- Change Oil and filter unless it looks real clean and you trust the seller ($20 for peace of mind)<br><br>Just a few things to start with, others may have more...<br><br>Good luck with your new truck!
Old 10-09-2002, 05:20 PM

Congrats on the new truck RJ, hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine. 8)
Old 10-09-2002, 08:17 PM

From one noobie to another congradulations YOU WILL LOVE THAT TRUCK..... Owned mine for almost 4 years and I still go out to the driveway and say good night to her before I hit the rack.......I've had great service from AMSOIL lubs and filters