24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Replacing the power steering pump?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 12:32 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing the power steering pump?

Well my power steering pump took a dump on me, and now I have to replace it. Any tips or pointers on making it easy......it looks like it's going to be a pain to get to. Also why I'm doing that, I'm going to replace the vacuum pump seal since it's leaking....any tips on that guy too?

~Nick
Old 06-21-2007, 12:35 PM
Banned

Unbolt the vaccum pump and take the vaccum pump and power steering pump out as one assembly. It makes life a lot easier getting the bolts off the power steering pump if it's sitting outside the truck. For the vaccum pump seal go to fixinrams.com and get the updated seal kit from him. The video makes changing it out retardidly easy to do.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:59 PM
Banned

That was who I was gonna get the seal from....I heard Cummins has one but it's just like the stock one and I don't feel like doing it twice so I'll get the good one! I was looking at it the other night, and I can see what you mean by taking the whole thing off.....looks like it'd be a lot easier!

Awhile back it started howling real bad like my pump was low on fluid and the steering was kinda stiff. So when I went to check the fluid, I pulled the cap off and it came SPEWING out everywhere. And now I have NO power steering at all.....so do you think it's the steering pump, or could it be the vacuum pump? I know that the vacuum must still be working......cuz the vent controls and stuff probably wouldn't work if it went out, right? I tried switching it from AC, to defrost, to just vent and everything works. So do you think it's the power steering pump or something else?

Also every now and then while it was howling......when I'd hit the brakes it'd kinda bark at me and my peddle would drop down a little bit?!?!?! I've never had to fix this crap so I'm kinda lost.

~Nick
Old 06-21-2007, 02:48 PM
Banned

If the vent controls are working then it ain't the vaccum pump. It sounds like the ps pump. The brakes are hydro boost. I know my brake pedal groans whenever I'm trying to turn and use them and the fluid is low in the PS. I've gotta replace this power steering pump again anyways cause this one is leaking from a plug in the back and no matter what I do I can't stop it.