24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Puking Crankcase Vent - found my solution -- I think

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 12:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Puking Crankcase Vent - found my solution -- I think

So there are a lot of great threads on this problem such as:
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...w-tube-254401/

But there are a couple questions that I cannot find. First the situation. Massive amounts of oil all over the front of truck. Got embarrassing because of the oil puddle I was leaving at work(I always park in same spot way out for a good walk). This weekend did a deep clean, I removed the bottle from the vent and added about 8 feet of tubing to pull in back behind cab. When I was finished and ran the truck at idle I was getting white smoke out the vent (before I found vacuum issue).

Similar to above threat my HVAC only worked in defrost mode but cruise worked fine. Fixed the loose tube going to HVAC and now that works. I'll need to replace the rubber elbow at the vacuum pump because it is very cracked and aged.
Truck actually seems to run better now between having the vacuum working and a little more pressure on vent tube (because of extra tubing).

So I see that there is a replacement part for the crankcase vent. Does that need to be replaced and could it be adding to the problem of too much puking? Also should I be concerned about the "white exhaust"?

I noticed a "relocation kit" for about $200 from Cummins during my searches - tubing and clamps I used were under $15.

Also note that there are a lot of moving parts in the front end, so watch how you run the tube, use a few wire ties to secure and don't kink it. I had to try a couple of different routings until I was happy. I parked in a new spot today and no oil stain when I checked at lunch.

This is a great list to plan on fixing if you have an old but good Dodge like me.

Dodge 2002 - 2500 - 2 wheel drive
mods: Fass lift pump, fuel pressure gauge(highly recommentd).

Final fix on fuel pressure - mechanic bypassed ECU and Fass is powered directly with key on.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:06 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Sounds like it was a long overdue item on your list of to-do's... Knowing that the catch bottle has been there for what sounds like ever until now, you'll seriously want to take the time to pull your radiator and clean it out. The amount of oily residue the engine fan sucks back around the radiator will collect dirt and debris, leading to a partially plugged off radiator. But you wont know it until things start to get a little toasty in the summer, and also your AC will not be as cold while idling. There's pictures of members radiators looking like they're completely covered in crap. And FYI, you cant see it either because its on the front side between the intercooler and the radiator, so dont go trying to blast it with a garden hose as that does not work.

Also, you'll want to make sure you have no dips or sags in your 8 foot extension of hose because it will too collect oily residue which will turn to a puddle in the hose and block off air venting. That would cause seals to start popping out...

I have my engine vent extended all the way to the fuel tank. Works great but you will still get that occasional drip just because it is an oil vent hose.
The following users liked this post:
BobOkie (09-18-2018)