24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Problem - Truck won't GO! HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 04:23 PM
Buz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem - Truck won't GO! HELP!!!

Having a problem for a few weeks. Sometimes when accelerator is pushed the truck simply won't go. Just seems to stay at idle. Kind of a problem when you pull out into traffic and this happens!! If you hit the gas pedal enough times to the floor, sometimes the truck comes back to life? Also noticed when going down Highway at low rpm's (cruise on) and when the truck needed more fuel it just wouldn't get it. Once I goosed the throttle she'd roar back to life???

Changed the fuel filter the first times it happened and it seemed to fix it. But came back a few weeks later. I was on a road trip lately and it really got bad. Came home and changed the Filter and water separator (FASS fuel system). Took it out and ran the heck out of it and seemed fine??

Next morning same thing - truck wouldn't go.

Past 2 days... fine.

Is this what happens before the VP44 poops out?
Thanks for any help.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:25 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check out the Tech secion on APPS reset. Might help.
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...n&onlynewfaq=1
Old 05-14-2007, 05:17 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check for codes, either with a scanner or the key on/off method.

Turn key to on, then off, on, off, on and look at the odometer window.

Write down what it displays and report back.

phox
Old 05-14-2007, 07:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If the apps reset does not do it, look for a leaking fuel line. Its possible your getting air in the system as it cools down. It sounds like its around the Fass system, since you've changed the stock set up. If you did not have this problem before the change, I'd look at the fass really good.

I have a friend that was having similar problems, it was the VP44. His was a 2001.

Dave
Old 05-14-2007, 09:07 PM
Buz

Originally Posted by CoastalDav
If the apps reset does not do it, look for a leaking fuel line. Its possible your getting air in the system as it cools down. It sounds like its around the Fass system, since you've changed the stock set up. If you did not have this problem before the change, I'd look at the fass really good.

I have a friend that was having similar problems, it was the VP44. His was a 2001.

Dave
Haven't seen any sign of fuel leak on floor, etc. How would you check for air leak???

anyone ever heard of the FASS going bad?
Thanks for the tips on the APPS reset, I'll give it a try.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Air leaks are usually in gaskets and mating surfaces. I've seen systems getting air at the injection line connection to the injector. I don't have a Fass system so, I don't know what that looks like. I still have the stock setup in my truck.

Dave
Old 05-15-2007, 05:13 PM

I see you have an EDGE comp. You might want to disconnect this and give the truck another try.

Possible air leak or restriction between th Fass and the tank. A lot of guys are installing the draw straw units now.

Yeah this is a sign on the VP but always do the simple cheap stuff first. No sense paying a lot for a cheap fix.

I would think about a vp however.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:29 PM

My guess is that you are going to find a Po216 code and will be replacing the VP44. SNOKING
Old 05-16-2007, 06:59 PM

Its happening to me too!

I have been having the same problem for the last couple months. I dont think its any leaks either fuel or air as it disappears sometimes by just decelerating and accelerating again. This problem is intermittent. I once thought it happened more after driving for 15 mins or so and stopping for a minute and starting up again. Its like something is sticking when you depress the accelerator.
Let me know if you get to the bottom of this as I will need to get it fixed soon as well.
What is the warranty on a 2002 truck.... I thought it was 100,000 miles on the power train.
It also seems to have some affect on the way the transmission acts as well.