24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

power steering pump leaks - need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2004, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
power steering pump leaks - need advice.

When I started the truck this morning I heard a groaning from the steering like during the winter.. it was around 60 this morning... by the time I got to work it had gone away. When I got home I checked my power steering fluid and had very little... I just topped it of less than a month ago with STP steering fluid (all I could find at when I needed it). I then proceeded to clean the top of the power steering pump. Started the engine and wah lah... I have a leak in the top of my power steering pump. , right at the center bolt. Could this be caused by using STP steering fluid and if so what should I use to replace it? Secondly if this is not caused by the fluid what are my options? I have about 90,000 miles and hope that this is covered under the 100,000-mile warranty? Does anybody know? If not, what should I be looking at to fix it? Does anybody have a drawing/schematic of the pump - I couldn't really see down there so well but could definitely tell it was coming from the bolt in the center. This is the 2nd time in a month I have added fluid, but only the third or fourth time since I bought the truck new.
Old 06-06-2004, 10:26 PM

they have problems with the vacume pump leaking which is what the power steering pump hooks to,the seal between them leak and someitmes looks like the power steering is leaking,but being your truck was low on fluid id look to see wheather the pump is leaking at a line or at the pump,the pumps are not all that expensive and if the thing doesnt grown when it is full then it is probably working correct and doesnt need to be changed unless the pump itself is leaking,to change the pump you will need a bent wrench to get to the one bolt in the back a lil easier,wrench that looks like a C they work best,pumps not that expensive if thats the problem,as far as warranty no such luck,cummins waranty covers the engine all the bolted on stuff from dodge is our problem kinda sucks,if you cant figure it out i can fax you some papers with the instruction you need,good luck
Old 06-06-2004, 11:43 PM

Mine is leaking too it looks like there is oil in it too? Could it be the fan blowing the oil from the blow by back? Mine power steering was very low also but this seems to be an oil leak. I think there is an oil line running in the power steering pump or vaccum pump not sure which?
Old 10-05-2004, 01:22 AM

my seal leaked to i have the extended warranty and they (dc) fixed it. a friend went in today to dc with 27k on his 02 and got it from smith in idaho the local dc changed his fluid and said goodbye we can't fix it,nothing wrong.said something about a tsb on the fluid
Old 10-05-2004, 02:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: power steering pump leaks - need advice.

Originally posted by wood_n_soldier
When I started the truck this morning I heard a groaning from the steering like during the winter.. it was around 60 this morning... by the time I got to work it had gone away. When I got home I checked my power steering fluid and had very little... I just topped it of less than a month ago with STP steering fluid (all I could find at when I needed it). I then proceeded to clean the top of the power steering pump. Started the engine and wah lah... I have a leak in the top of my power steering pump. , right at the center bolt. Could this be caused by using STP steering fluid and if so what should I use to replace it? Secondly if this is not caused by the fluid what are my options? I have about 90,000 miles and hope that this is covered under the 100,000-mile warranty? Does anybody know? If not, what should I be looking at to fix it? Does anybody have a drawing/schematic of the pump - I couldn't really see down there so well but could definitely tell it was coming from the bolt in the center. This is the 2nd time in a month I have added fluid, but only the third or fourth time since I bought the truck new.
On the back of the pump, towards the cowl, there are two bolts, I think 15mm. If you are talking about a leak at that point, I can tell you what is there. The pump has a cover that makes the reservoir for the fluid that is held in place by the two bolts. Under the cover they have a fiber seal and on the outside that have a fiber seal. Generally they will leak if the bolts are loose, just tighten them. The large opening of the cover towards the front of the engine has a large O ring for a seal. The shaft also has a lip seal that is replaceable.

The parts store has a reseal kit for them that contains all the seals for the pump.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:11 AM

you wouldn't happen to know the number and or name of the parts kit would you?
Old 10-05-2004, 01:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by wood_n_soldier
you wouldn't happen to know the number and or name of the parts kit would you?
No, here NAPA has them and Advanced has them. Just tell them what you want, the pump is a common car pump.