24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Opinions on brake rotor types

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 12:04 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Opinions on brake rotor types

Well it's time to replace my front pads and rotors.
Currently I am using the original rotors and I'm on my 2nd set of pads.
I changed out the rear slave cyinders to the GMC parts and they work great and it's probably why my fronts lasted so long.
I put slotted rotors on my wife's van because she thinks last minute stops is the right way to drive but I notice a little "vibration" on hard braking. Kind of like mudder tires tread vibration but they stop without any fade even in LIE 70 - zero and back again traffic.

So my question to you truck owners,
What are your opinions of solid rotors, slotted rotors and cross drilled and slotted?
I'm not ready to spend the big bucks on new multi piston calipers so its just rotors and pads I'm looking for.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like the drilled or slotted because the pads never glaze over.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:41 PM

D & S rotors are really nice if you have a need to spend the bucks for 'em. I had them on the wifes' Trans Am and they were awesome, about $435 for the set of 4 but as far as my truck goes, I get incredible life from my rotors and pads 'cause I don't drive like she did... I'll stick with the stock config. cheaper and works just fine. If you're into "overkill", go for it.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:30 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
I put slotted rotors on my Toyota when I was working in the mountains years ago and they definiltely were an improvement over stock...less fade and seemed to go further between pads...

I have gotten your experience with the fronts...2 sets of pads per rotor and caliper change out, stock. they aren't Ford brakes, but mine are pretty good considering teh payload I usually haul.

I'lll stick stock for now...
Old 09-09-2013, 05:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
drilled rotors will crack. they have no place on a diesel truck. slots may be ok. but solid is best. you need an appropriate pad for the trucks usage. a diesel that tows heavy requires a different pad than a grocery getter/commuter.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by comotionman
drilled rotors will crack. they have no place on a diesel truck. slots may be ok. but solid is best. you need an appropriate pad for the trucks usage. a diesel that tows heavy requires a different pad than a grocery getter/commuter.
That's BS. Where is your proof? They have been used for decades on race cars/trucks that run much hotter than you will ever get then on your truck.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Dane
That's BS. Where is your proof? They have been used for decades on race cars/trucks that run much hotter than you will ever get then on your truck.
I think you would be hard pressed to find a professional race team still using drilled rotors. as to where my proof is? all over the internet, take a look. call someone knowledgeable and they can tell you. its been known for some time now. drilled rotors these days are mainly a bling factor item sold to those ignorant of the facts because they think they look cool. there are plenty of examples of cracked drilled rotors after a single lap on a track.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:36 PM

^^^ unfortunately, people don't want to hear this

Here's what some web sources:
http://ebcbrakes.com/articles/danger...rilled-rotors/
http://automotivethinker.com/brakes-...d-and-warping/

...or simply google "cross drill cracked rotor"

Another POV:
A rotor's mass is what absorbs heat.

Why would you want to remove mass from a the rotors of a heavy vehicle?
How many heavy trucks do you see with "bling" rotors?
Old 09-10-2013, 02:26 PM

EBC sells "dimpled rotors" and slotted rotors. It's a sales gimmick. They still sell drilled rotors for motorcycles. The picture is from a cheap Chinese knock off and not the correct metal. If you buy Chinese rotors you get what you deserve. There are millions of drilled and slotted rotors out there on street cars and trucks that work great. If what you say was true the DOT would have killed the idea long ago.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/p...e/brake-rotors

Yes, drilling will fail sooner at extreme temperatures in a heavy race car, but you're not going to get your truck rotors that hot. There is more BS on the Internet than truth by far and it's usually quoted in forums like this. If you want get dimpled for the same advantage of cleaning the surface of the pad.

If anyone here has cracked rotors on their diesel Ram from drilling that are not cheap Chinese knock offs please speak up.

Originally Posted by pronstar
^^^ unfortunately, people don't want to hear this

Here's what some web sources:
http://ebcbrakes.com/articles/danger...rilled-rotors/
http://automotivethinker.com/brakes-...d-and-warping/

...or simply google "cross drill cracked rotor"

Another POV:
A rotor's mass is what absorbs heat.

Why would you want to remove mass from a the rotors of a heavy vehicle?
How many heavy trucks do you see with "bling" rotors?
Old 09-10-2013, 02:32 PM

I have these on my 2001 Ram Cummins and have zero cracks after multiple trips down the Grapvine carrying 1800lbs of cabover in the back. Notice the fillets? That cures any cracking problems.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sp...model/ram-2500

Old 09-10-2013, 02:41 PM

By the way, solid rotors crack as well -

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...d/26803745.cfm

Name:  CIMG0045Subrotorheatchecked.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  82.8 KB

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/safet...ure-57771.html

Name:  boschbrake03.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  36.8 KB
Old 09-10-2013, 03:03 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
By the way, solid rotors crack as well -
Name:  CIMG0045Subrotorheatchecked.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  82.8 KB

Wow....doesn't look like those "filets" helped that rotor any.....
Old 09-10-2013, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)

Wow....doesn't look like those "filets" helped that rotor any.....
That rotor doesn't have any.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:46 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
That rotor doesn't have any.
Then what are the slots ground in it? they look similar to what you posted.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:28 PM

EBC sells "dimpled rotors" and slotted rotors. It's a sales gimmick. They still sell drilled rotors for motorcycles. The picture is from a cheap Chinese knock off and not the correct metal. If you buy Chinese rotors you get what you deserve. There are millions of drilled and slotted rotors out there on street cars and trucks that work great. If what you say was true the DOT would have killed the idea long ago.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/p...e/brake-rotors

Yes, drilling will fail sooner at extreme temperatures in a heavy race car, but you're not going to get your truck rotors that hot. There is more BS on the Internet than truth by far and it's usually quoted in forums like this. If you want get dimpled for the same advantage of cleaning the surface of the pad.

If anyone here has cracked rotors on their diesel Ram from drilling that are not cheap Chinese knock offs please speak up.
yes. there is a lot of bs online and there seems to be a whole lot of bs in this thread. most of it coming from you dane. you seem to have a problem laying out a well reasoned argument. you admit drilled rotors will fail sooner then go on to say only on a heavy race car. that our trucks will never get that hot. I disagree, there is a chance that the brakes on our trucks will overheat. some guys have had there rotors glowing. then you go on to say all chinese rotors are junk. and seem to say those stupid enough to run Chinese rotors get what they deserve. as if only Chinese rotors will crack.

Quick Reply: Opinions on brake rotor types