24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Opinions on brake rotor types

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 08:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dane
I have these on my 2001 Ram Cummins and have zero cracks after multiple trips down the Grapvine carrying 1800lbs of cabover in the back. Notice the fillets? That cures any cracking problems.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sp...model/ram-2500

so....after your previous post deriding Chinese rotors you post up the above drilled rotors evidently you bought from summit. you seem to be unaware that a great majority of drums and rotors are produced in China these days. obviously you are not aware that your rotors are Chinese....that's right made in China. stoptech is a division of centric. their rotors are made in China. the fillets you point out will stop cracks from occuring was partly correct. the crucial fact you overlooked is that this treatment is only possIble
from the outside. its on the inside where the hole is drilled through the cavity in the vented area that the stress risers and cracks first appear. of course even solid rotors can crack. but the point is that drilled rotors will crack first and are not acceptable in applications where public safety would be put at risk. ie...you won't see drilled rotors on medium or heavy duty trucks, trains or airplanes.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I run slotted rotors on 2 of my cars, really like them as theres no brake fade and pad surface stays clean.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:43 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think I'm going with the just slotted rotors. They work fine on my wifes van and after talking to the people at brakewarehouse http://www.brakewarehouse.com/
I guess I just didn't bed them in right. because now they stop as smooth as any other.

As far as drilling causing cracks, it pretty much is proven that there is a RISK of that happening but it's mainly made worse by drilling not caused by it.
The slotting helps cool the braking surface. No matter what rotor you have the contact point between pad and rotor is going to get hot. Once it does the pad will outgas. The slots let the gas escape away from the contact area not push back against it.

I figure if Porche, Lambo, Ferrari, bughatti and every one of the top supercars have them stock there has to be some benefit. Brembo says
Both cross drilling and slots interrupt the water film forming when driving in the wet for improved brake response