24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

oil pressure build up

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oil pressure build up

What can i do about the time it takes to build oil pressure. The guage reaction time is slow, but not that slow. I the winter it can take 30 seconds for the guage to come up. summer it take 5 maybe. these are appox. Everytime i take the oil filter off it is half empty so the system is bleeding back. I would like to put a preoiler on it, but i really shouldn't have to. I feel the turbo oiler is letting it bleed back. Baybe i chould put a check vavle in it. Anybody else work with this problem? What should i do? I don't like the way it is now, engine is getting alot of wear on start up and in the winter i should loose it over it. I have great oil pressure.
thanks
dan
Old 08-27-2004, 01:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pretty much normal for an electrical sending unit type system. if in doubt you could verify with a mechanical gauge.
Old 08-27-2004, 01:51 PM
Banned

it's normal, my mechanical gauge takes just as long to climb. I don't have a pre-oiler. I don't worry about it.

Forrest
Old 08-27-2004, 03:18 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
The oil pressure gauge in the dash is just an "indicator" that takes its signals from the ECM.
At startup, it's totally normal for it to take sometimes several seconds for the gauge to show oil pressure.
Just the nature of the beast.
Old 08-27-2004, 03:43 PM
Banned

I've got a mechanical gauge as well as my factory gauge... it takes a fair amount of time for the mechanical to build pressure too.

I figure my last truck has nearly 400k on it and still running strong... I take MUCH better care of this one... like I said, I'm not worried.

Forrest
Old 08-27-2004, 04:29 PM
Banned

The sending unit for the oil pressure system is at the end of the system. The engine is receiveing oil even though the gauge is at zero. It just takes a little time for the guage to receive the signal. Like the others have said, nothing to worry about, it's normal.
Old 08-27-2004, 04:40 PM
Banned

my mechanical gauge is tapped at the filter housing... IE, at the beginning of the system... it takes a while for pressure to build. don't worry about it! LOL!

Forrest
Old 08-27-2004, 08:50 PM

No matter what the deal is in the sending unit to the computer to the guage, It still takes a long time to build oil pressure up because the filter is drains back and has to repump it full of oil before pressure can build. and all the air has to go somewhere. The questionis how to fix it, I don' t like it. I't all right if you never shut the truck off, This has to be hard on the engine more so in cold weather.

If you chould keep the filter from drianing back the problem would be solved. Most cars have a check vavle build into the filter, but in this case not sure if that would help. chould be in the turbo oil system letting the system bleed back, but just a guess right now.

dan
Old 08-28-2004, 07:47 AM

you cant fix what is normal. the way the filter mounts i cant see how it can drain back. filters that mount vertical or any other way other than straight up need a drain back valve. i think if you persue fixing what i and others feel is normal you will waste a lot of time and money trying to do so. stop at a cummins shop and explain what you are trying to do and see what they say.
Old 08-28-2004, 07:25 PM
Banned

do the filters on a 99 mount upside down? if they don't how can the oil "drain" anywhere? just wondering
Old 08-28-2004, 09:21 PM

Originally posted by duner
do the filters on a 99 mount upside down? if they don't how can the oil "drain" anywhere? just wondering
no they don't they all are the same with the cummins in the dodge application.
Old 08-28-2004, 09:26 PM
Banned

Originally posted by duner
the same way you can siphon fuel up and out of the fuel tank into a can...

Forrest
Old 08-29-2004, 09:15 AM

Oh a good filter there "Should be" a drain back valve... That is to keep it from doing that... But like I found some filters like "Fram" have poor materials use for the drain back valve and they tend to leak....

Here is more on that topic...

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html
Old 08-29-2004, 09:34 AM

I just bought a dodge filter, no antidrian back valve! How may guys here change ther own oil? How many of them have oil poor or come out of filter as there taken it off? Most cars i do oil will spill out as your taken it off, this thing the oil is down in the filter about 2 to 3 inches everytime.
Old 08-29-2004, 09:45 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Cummins does not spec an anti drainback valve in the filter so no filter designed to Cummins spec will have one. From Fleetguard to Fram, you won't find one.

Why do you feel this is such a big problem? These engines regularly go 300k without an anti drainback valve. Don't drive it until the pressure comes up and you won't hurt anything. Oils have extreme pressure additives like zinc and moly for this reason, as well as to protect the cam lobes and tappets. Stop worrying about it and have fun with your truck.

Quick Reply: oil pressure build up