24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Odd Problem Today

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 07:24 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Odd Problem Today

Today driving down the road hauling 6 horses the "Check Guages" light flashed on and the bell dinged twice, but a second later it went off. This happened 3 times, but the gauges were all good, and it never happened under the same circumstances.

The trucks the 98.5 with only and edge ez on it.

anyone have any ideas?

Mike
Old 06-17-2007, 10:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just got a mind of its own!
Old 06-17-2007, 10:20 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There is a TSB for that IIRC. I'll go look BRB.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:24 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Yeah, I thought so. It may have been so quick you didn't see it.

NO: 08-22-99
SUBJECT: Intermittent Operation Of Oil Pressure Gauge
DATE: July 2, 1999
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) with new software (calibration changes).

NOTE: THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH THE 5.9L CUMMINS 12 VALVE TURBO DIESEL ENGINE BUILT BEFORE JANUARY 5, 1998 (MDH 0105XX).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Oil Pressure gauge intermittently drops to zero pressure. In addition, the warning chime may sound when the oil pressure gauge drops to zero pressure and the check gauge lamp may come on.

DIAGNOSIS:
Verify proper engine oil level.
Remove the engine oil pressure sensor and install Oil Pressure Line and Gauge Tool C-3292 with a suitable adapter.
Start the engine and warm to operating temperature.
CAUTION: IF ENGINE OIL PRESSURE IS ZERO AT IDLE, DO NOT RUN THE ENGINE.

The minimum oil pressure at idle is 68.9 kPa (10 psi). If the pressure is below the specified value, refer to the Mechanical Diagnosis Charts - Diesel Engine located in the 1998 Ram Truck Service Manual, (Publication No. 81-370-8108), page 9-20 for information regarding diagnosis of low engine oil pressure.
If the engine oil pressure is within the proper specifications, perform the Repair Procedure.
NOTE: WHENEVER A POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM) IS REPLACED DUE TO FAILURE, THE SOFTWARE OF THE REPLACEMENT CONTROLLER MUST BE VERIFIED FOR THE LATEST REVISION LEVEL. USE THE FLASH PROCEDURE TO UPDATE REPLACED CONTROLLERS AS NECESSARY.

PARTS REQUIRED:
Qty Part No. Description
1 04669020 Label, Authorized Software Update
1 04275086 Label, Authorized Modification

EQUIPMENT REQUIRED:
Qty Part No. Description
1 C-3292 Oil Pressure Line and Gauge Tool
1 CH6000 Scan Tool (DRB III®)
1 CH7035 General Purpose Interface Bus Cable (GPIB)
1 CH7000/7001 J1962 Cable
1 - MDS2

NOTE: THE MDS2 AND DRB III® ARE REQUIRED TO PERFORM PART OF THIS REPAIR. THE MDS2 AND DRB III® MUST BE OPERATING AT CIS CD2032 OR HIGHER.

REPAIR PROCEDURE:
Log onto the MDS2 system.
Connect the MDS2 (Mopar Diagnostic System) and DRB III® (Scan Tool) to the vehicle and switch the ignition key to "ON"
Using the arrow keys, select #2 CONNECT TO MDS1 OR MDS2 on the DRB III® MAIN MENU SCREEN.
Using the arrow keys, select #2 RUN MDS2 APPLICATION on the DRB III® MAIN MENU SCREEN.
NOTE: ONCE MDS2, DRB III®, AND VEHICLE COMMUNICATION HAS BEEN ESTABLISHED, THE CANNOT READ VIN FROM DRB III® MESSAGE (ON THE MDS2) WILL BE REPLACED BY THE VEHICLE VIN. PRESS THE "OK" BUTTON ON THE MDS2 TO REQUEST A MDS2 SESSION FOR THE VEHICLE VIN INDICATED. PRESS THE "OK" BUTTON WHEN ASKED TO BEGIN SESSION.

Push the FLASH tab on the MDS2.
NOTE: A MESSAGE MAY APPEAR THAT INDICATES NO UPDATES ARE AVAILABLE. IF THIS OCCURS, MAKE SURE YOUR DIAGNOSTIC EQUIPMENT IS OPERATING AT THE LATEST SOFTWARE LEVEL AS LISTED EARLIER IN THIS BULLETIN. IF THE LATEST SOFTWARE IS INSTALLED, AND NO UPDATES ARE AVAILABLE, ANOTHER VEHICLE CONDITION EXISTS THAT WILL REQUIRE FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

Select READ PART NUMBERS FROM VEHICLE and click SHOW UPDATES on the MDS2.
NOTE: A MESSAGE MAY APPEAR THAT INDICATES NO UPDATES ARE AVAILABLE. IF THIS OCCURS, MAKE SURE YOUR DIAGNOSTIC EQUIPMENT IS OPERATING AT THELATEST SOFTWARE LEVEL AS LISTED EARLIER IN THIS BULLETIN. IF THE LATEST SOFTWARE IS INSTALLED, AND NO UPDATES ARE AVAILABLE, ANOTHER VEHICLE CONDITION EXISTS THAT WILL REQUIRE FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

Select the new software part number with the light pen and click UPDATE CONTROLLER SOFTWARE.
The MDS2 and DRB III® will prompt for any operator action needed during the remainder of the reprogramming process.
NOTE: THE FOLLOWING STEPS ARE REQUIRED BY LAW.

Type the necessary information on the "Authorized Software Update Label" p/n 04669020 (Figure 1). Attach the label to the PCM and cover the label with the clear plastic overlay.
Type the necessary information on the "Authorized Modification Label" p/n 04275086 and attach the label near the VECI label (Figure 2).
POLICY:
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.

TIME ALLOWANCE:
Labor Op. No. Time
08-19-41-99 0.5 Hrs.

FAILURE CODE:
Code Description
FM Flash Module
Old 06-18-2007, 03:06 AM

I mentioned in an earlier post about my sister in law driving over from MT in my late brothers 01 4WD ECSB Dodge Cummins that when I opened the hood there was a sticky tag there up top in front of the radiator that indicated that the dealer in Spokane had reprogrammed the ECM due to all the gauges acting intermittent or maybe it was just the oil pressure gauge, I can't remember what she said. But it happened on their way over here just before Spokane. The particular concern was the oil gauge stating either low or no oil pressure. They pulled right over, shut it off & checked the oil (which was fine) so after looking around for anything obvious, decided to restart the truck and listen for any knocking as that would be sure sign of no oil and if they heard any of that OFF it goes. It ran fine, sounded fine and they listened for 20 minutes while watching the gauge before deciding to press on, after all they're along the freeway halfway between home and where they're going. So anyway, they weren't far from the dealer there in Spokane. She said they got right in, they hooked up the truck to the computer and decided to upgrade the ECM by reprogramming the box. They did their deed with no charge and it's been fine ever since. The truck never did lose oil pressure so there was no real threat to the engine, tho they were extremely nervous when all of this was happening.
Even tho the memo says this is for rigs from 98 back, it has done the same thing in my brothers 01 and probably a few others too. The only reason I knew anything about this was seeing that sticky tag under the hood.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:30 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Just keep in mind that this "fix" basically makes your oil pressure light worthless. With this "fix", the truck will just slap 40psi on the gauge no matter what the sensor is telling the gauge.

Thanks DC for "fixing" the problem, you knuckleheads!
Old 06-18-2007, 03:32 AM

NOTE: THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH THE 5.9L CUMMINS 12 VALVE TURBO DIESEL ENGINE BUILT BEFORE JANUARY 5, 1998 (MDH 0105XX).

just on question i thaught that 12v stoped in 1997 and 98 and on was the 24v guess i am wrong
Old 06-18-2007, 09:16 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by iker42
Today driving down the road hauling 6 horses the "Check Guages" light flashed on and the bell dinged twice, but a second later it went off. This happened 3 times, but the gauges were all good, and it never happened under the same circumstances.

The trucks the 98.5 with only and edge ez on it.

anyone have any ideas?

Mike
it's really strange but mine did it also one time when it was 2 years old.... i shut it down, checked the oil. ect. everthing was fine, it never happened again. i don't know what it was
Old 06-18-2007, 02:44 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

The guage was never accurate even before the flash. The flash update is just to slow down the update for the sender so as to not do this. The guage has been an guestimated oil since 97. The only way to have a true reading is another guage. The factory one is bogust.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:27 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kenny1987

just on question i thaught that 12v stoped in 1997 and 98 and on was the 24v guess i am wrong
The 1998 model is split: the first half (before Jan 5 1998 build date) are 12V.

After that, they are all 24V engines.

Justin