2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

odd stereo problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
odd stereo problem

got what maybe an odd problem Im hoping yall can help me solve. So on my way to work this morning my speakers kept cutting out. Just my speakers (stock non-infinity), head unit (alpine cda-9815) kept playing normally. There was no cackling from the speakers at all, everything just went mute..........nothing wrong with the head, checked fuses and connections......everything o.k.

I was able to fix it this morning by just turning it on and off, but this afternoon on the way home it kept cutting out, Id have to keep on turning it back on, then it would cut out again .

Im not sure how this could be related, but, this weekend I removed my subs and amp while Im building a box for them. I dont see how it could be affected as everything is unplugged, including the power wires from the battery.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks guys
Jeff

admins: wasnt sure where to put this as its a prob with my stock speakers but I do have aftermarket headunit and subs........feel free to move it
Old 05-24-2004, 07:09 PM

Mine has the same problem. I'm still using the stock infinity amp with new speakers. I think the amp is going bad. When it does this, I can turn the volume up and the speakers come on. I'm just to lazy to fix it.

-Kyle
Old 05-24-2004, 08:49 PM

When it does this, I can turn the volume up and the speakers come on
unfortunately, when mine does it, no matter how high I turn the volume I dont hear a thing

thanks though, how bout anyone else???

Jeff
Old 05-24-2004, 09:18 PM
Banned

Did you cover the RCA plugs coming from the headunit that plug into your amp, ro did you just leave them bare? I did that with my plugs by accident once and ended up doing the same thing your experiencing (cept mine wouldn't turn on period). Once I figured it out, I also realized I had blown the rear channel on my head unit.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:24 PM

hmmm, yea, definately didnt cover them.........

crap, what would be the easiest way to tell if the rear channel is gone.........if so, new head?????

Thanks for the info. Tyler, I really appreciate it.

Jeff
Old 05-24-2004, 10:20 PM
Banned

Easiest way to tell is if the rear speakers aren't playing. If so, warranty (if you have one) should cover it. If not, then new head unit.
Old 05-24-2004, 10:32 PM

cool, thanks alot Tyler. I covered the RCA cable plugs and it seemed to work O.K., the rear speakers are playing as well so Im taking that as good sign.

Thanks alot for all your help man, I really appreciate it.
Jeff
Old 06-09-2004, 11:42 AM

My amp does this occasionally and its from heat build up. I had to put the amp on a switch so I could turn it off for a few minutes when it does it. Go buy a 12 volt muffin fan at your local computer store (about $10) and place it under the dash to move some air over the unit. It gets hot up their cause there aint much room.

Just noticed does all of your speaker go through the amps? If so how hot are they getting. As amps get older they are suseptible to heat cause most are'nt placed in well ventillated spaces. Do the amps have overload leds, if so when it happens again check them to see if they are in overload condition. Heat can cause this to.

Mine will aways shutdown when im jammin to DISTURBED or STATIC-X. HHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMMM........................seems they shutdown all the time now i think about it.