24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Newb fan clutch question

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2023, 09:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newb fan clutch question

Howdy all, I'm new to the forum and looking forward to learning more about my truck. It's a 1999 with 171,000 miles. I shoulda replaced my lift pump and told myself I should, but didn't, and my VP44 went out. I replaced with FASS DDRP (and relocated to frame) and Thoroughbred rebuilt 2 yr VP44. That's all good now, solid 15-17 fuel pressure at idle and never goes under 10 at WOT.
I thought it'd be a good idea to change the radiator hoses since they're original. I was only able to replace 3.5 gallons of fluid after changing the hoses and have done everything I can think of to remove any air from the system. All seems well but the fan is turning all the time. It seemed to have trouble getting up to operating temp for a couple of short drives and the heat didn't seem to be all that warm. Yesterday I removed the hex screw closest to the thermostat housing and fluid came out, my over flow jug was actually about an inch fuller than the day before. I parked it on ramps to elevate the front yesterday and finally was able to get it up to about 180 before the temp dropped and the heat is putting out hot air now, AFAIK the thermostat is original and I think it may be a 180 instead of 190. It appears to me ( very beginner level mechanic.....not even mechanic, wanna be mechanic) that I've got it going my way, but the fan being always on concerns me. Is there a way to check it to know if it's working properly. I never (even before all this in the Texas Summer heat) heard the fan making a lot of noise. It's not had problems prior to now with temps. Just wanna confirm my fan clutch is doing what it's supposed to do and could the fan turning all the time be causing my issues with it being slow to come up to working temps?
Sorry to be so long winded and thanks in advance for any/all advice and tips.
Old 12-26-2023, 04:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I replaced my fan clutch some years back (just because) I'm thinking like in 2018? I read on another forum that the clutch efficiency diminishes year by year. Didn't see any difference in cooling, but got piece of mind. Not much help there. However, I will tell you "if" you are thinking of replacing the thermostat "DO NOT" use "ANYTHING" other than one from Cummins. The aftermarket, even the supposed good ones, are totally not up to par with the Cummins. Be prepared for sticker shock as you'll think it must be made of gold. Make certain when you install that the little "tickler" (sort of air bleed) valve is at 12 O'clock so any air remaining in the system has a way to work itself out.

Anytime you open the calling system check the level in your reservoir frequently for a few weeks and only fill to the cold mark when cold or to the warm/hot mark when up to operating temperatures.

If you haven't yet purchased a "real" (meaning it is from Dodge not Chiltons etc.) shop manual do yourself a big favor and get one. They're on CD or Book. I got the book back when I bought my 99 in 05/01 and it had been invaluable.

Enjoy your truck
The following users liked this post:
nothingbutdarts (12-26-2023)